PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy ArtRage?

decemberroses
12-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi! I am a digital designer and admit to loving to buy all kinds of nifty programs. :lol: I tried out ArtRage and had a lot of fun, but it was of course limited since it was just the trial. I thought for $20, it wouldn't hurt to buy it. But would it be too redundant to purchase it in addition to what I have? I currently use Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, and Corel Painter X.5. I have brushes, styles, and actions that I use to make glitter. Though I do like the way the glitter goes down in ArtRage. So would it be silly for me to buy ArtRage as well?

Thanks!
Tracy

AndyRage
12-21-2006, 09:45 PM
In my workshop downstairs I have a $200 cordless power drill that has screwdriver attachments. I also have two ratchet screwdrivers with different bits. Additionally I have at least 6 non-ratchet screwdrivers that have fixed bits for slotted or phillips-head screws. Their shafts are different lengths.
I also have some small screwdrivers I specifically use for rewiring electrical equipment.
And there is a boxed set of jewellers screwdrivers as I often tinker with very fine equipment.
Also, my powered dremel (I love my dremel!) has a specific screwdriver for the screw that holds the small cutting disks in place.

ArtRage is a great tool. It does what it does very well. It is unlikely to replace your other tools, but it will definitely complement them.

ENCHANTER
12-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I got photoshop, but I rarely use it for painting. I 've not used corel before, and the way ArtRage is developing, I dont think I will need to.

I use ArtRage, because I dont have to think about buttons, menus, and the such.

I use it because, I paint without thinking.

(and theres no spill :) )

decemberroses
12-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for responding, y'all. Andy, your post made me laugh out loud and I had to share it with my husband. :lol: He, of course, totally agreed with you. ;) Hey, its something my kidlets would for sure love to use too, so, yeah, maybe I should just get it. Now, If I could just remember where I wrote down the coupon code . . . .

joules
12-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I want to see the artwork Andy has produced with his screwdrivers :shock:

D Akey
12-22-2006, 01:21 AM
I want to see the artwork Andy has produced with his screwdrivers :shock:

Don't be daft man. Andy uses the screwdrivers to do his programming.

DaveRage
12-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Mostly it's hammers I think, judging by the sounds from his space =)

justG
12-22-2006, 07:25 AM
@decemberroses: The short answer is: Yes.

The long answer is: Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.

=]

Seriously. All those applications you mentioned are very powerful, and they will continue to have very prominent places in your arsenal. But in my experience, to get the most out of them, I have to sit down with a goal and use the bits of the application I need to accomplish that goal. With ArtRage, I think about 98% of the time, I have no goal. Using ArtRage is cathartic. It's like an artistic iso-flex ball thingy. I start it up to play. (Mind you, I'm not implying it's a toy; it's very powerful, it's just so easy on the eyes and easy to use that it could easily be mistaken for a toy.) In fact, I start ArtRage up to digitally doodle while I'm on Skype just as I pick up a pencil/pen and some paper to doodle when I'm on the (non-VOIP) phone.

Your purchase of ArtRage is one you'll not regret.

sweeneymini
12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
ArtRage2 is a different type of program to graphics packages like photoshop.

I find working with PhotoShop et al, I'm looking at what IT can do. I find learning how to use the bevy of tools, plus working out which of the hundreds of ways to achieve a task is best takes up a big chunk of time.

With ArtRage I am looking at what I can do. All the tools are easy to get to grips with using, which means you can concentrate on improving your skills and playing with creative ways to use the intuitive tools.

Also, my powered dremel (I love my dremel!) has a specific screwdriver for the screw that holds the small cutting disks in place.

Yay, another Dremel anorak :D

royblumenthal
01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Hiya Decemberrose...

Short answer:
Yes!

Slightly longer answer:
$20? You kidding?? Of COURSE yes!

Longer answer still:
I have Painter 9.5. I have Sketchbook Pro. They're NOT on my launch bar, bottom right, next to the start button. I don't even REMEMBER when last I opened them. They're seriously wasted money and disk space for me. ArtRage blew my mind. And continues to do so. It's the most fruitful $20 I've ever spent. (And no... it doesn't replace Photoshop or Illustrator. But they have specific uses that ArtRage doesn't deal with, and vice versa.)

Blue skies
love
Roy

Domino
01-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Hello, first post here. You can't go wrong with spending a tiny amount of 20 dollars for a program that will give you hours and hours of enjoyment. I just bought ArtRage2 and I am just having fun messing around with the different media that is available.

Once I learn the software, then i will have something decent to show on these forums. But for now, just having fun with it.

Happy Painting.

Shawn

ENCHANTER
01-13-2007, 03:43 AM
YES! :D :D :D

maror
01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
all replys in here a just correct! :lol:

ScottC
01-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I recommend against buying it...it'll ruin your experience in all those other programs you paid so much money for. When you realize, after working with it for a while, that AR is the way you really want to be working, and restores the joy and feel of working in RL to your digital work...youll be angry and resentful towards Painter on the occasions you find yourself needing to open it to address one of AR's current limitations. Itll feel sluggish and bloated, and unsatisfying to use, and a perfectly good 300$ program will see less and less use.

God forbid you paid 200$ for Sketchbook pro (shudder...oh...the loss!)

You'll then find yourself camping out here, wasting time, hoping for any clue from the devs that the next update will be the one that sees you never again having to work outside AR at all.

So you see, its clearly one of the most destructive 20$ bills you could ever spend. It happened to me...dont make the same mistake.

royblumenthal
01-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Hahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahaha!

Scott! I have to agree with you! I haven't even opened up Painter or Sketchbook pro in about three or four months. I can't even REMEMBER! And that was only to show someone the differences in interface.

Blue skies
love
Roy