PDA

View Full Version : Pen responsives

timq
03-24-2006, 04:10 AM
Hi all - first up, love the program, it suits my doodling style more than any other prog out there - and I've tried most of them!

I have an issue with the pen responsiveness - particularly at the start of my lines (usualy using the pencil with a small size) - it seems to "drop off" the first few pixels - I have an old wacom tablet, but it works fine with the competition's drawing and painting programs, so I know it's not the tablet. This is more of an niggling annoyance that a major obstacle. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, other than that, I love it.

Tim.

timq
03-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Oh, and I'm using a wacom 16x9 (not sure which model - it's at home) windows XP Pro, full version of art rage

DaveRage
03-24-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi Timq,

Are there any tools this doesn't happen with for you, or does it seem to be pretty much the full range, especially at small sizes?

I'm also wondering whether it makes any difference for you if you toggle "use Mouse Mode" on from the Edit, Preferences menu.

Also, does the speed of the stroke make any difference to the behaviour and does it tend to just be the beginning of the stroke or do you notice it at other points?

If you are able to check what model of Wacom tablet you have when you're at home, this may be handy to know.

Feel free to email me directly at support@ambientdesign.com and I'd be glad to run through a few things with you and see what we can find out.

timq
03-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Ok, after reading the FAQ2 (heh....) and a bit of experimenting, what seems to be happening is this -I tend to work with very fine brushes, while using the oil paint brush while zoomed in, it doesn't seems to start exactly where I start my line - the taper at the start doesn't actually pick up immediately. Compounding this problem is the fact that the cursor actually obscures ehat is directly underneath it, so that the line doesn't appear (this is more bothersome at the end of the line as is doesn't end where you think it does - when you lift the pen it's actually under the cursor. I hope that made sense.
I'm using a wacom ud-608-r - a bit of a dinosaur, but it still works.

DaveRage
03-27-2006, 05:48 AM
I believe I see what you mean now. If I was to say, zoom in a large amount with a 1% sized brush, the beginning of a stroke doesn't start at the exact point I begin to draw it. As the brush size is enlarged it gets rapidly closer to that point.

At the moment that's a limitation of the way the system works I'm afraid with the tapered brush strokes, but I do have that noted down as something to look at for a future revision.

Regarding the cursors, if they're getting in the way you can turn on precise cursors either via the Edit, Preferences menu or by pressing 'C'

Hope that's of some use!