PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Freeing up memory with xsysinfo (fixed in new update)

Saphire
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
:DFor those having out of memory warnings and frequent crashes because of lack of memory on the Ipad? I have found a program that works, it clears the memory without having to keep shutting down. It has worked flawlessy since i got it from the Itunes store.

I keep it loaded so all I have to do is save the painting when i get the warning. Dbl click the home button to bring up the taskbar launch the program and watch how much memory it free's up, then go back to ArtRage.
Its called XSysinfo. I highly recommend it to work alongside ArtRage.

DO NOT UPDATE to 1.5 memory booster no longer available.

suziQ54241
03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I concur, I've been using it the same way, works great for me on all my art apps.

royblumenthal
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for this. I've been hunting for something to free up memory in the iPad. Stumbled on this post while installing ArtRage on my new tablet pc.

So, while waiting for the download, I installed the memory app on the iPad. And whammo! Suddenly, from having 8 to 15 megs of functional memory, I've got 80 megs. And ArtRage for iPad works just a little faster.

Worthwhile coupla dollars.

Thanks for sharing!

Blue skies
Roy

KeithSloan
05-08-2011, 10:50 AM
It seems to me that the developers of Xsysinfo have found some system calls to free up memory. Each time you press the memory icon it goes and tries to free up some more. Some times it takes several goes to free up a good amount of memory.

Surely the developers of ArtRage should research the calls that Xsysinfo are making, maybe even asking Apple.

Then they should be using these calls before during ArtRage's start up to free sufficient memory that it will run without lagging. Maybe also after the user has been painting for a while.

i.e. Make things automatic rather than rely on the user using Xsysinfo manually.

In my opinion got to be in Artrage's best interest as all the reviews slate the lagging.

royblumenthal
05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
True. Xsysinfo is a legal app, approved by the Byzantine craziness of the Jobs-apple-polishers. Meaning the same processes must be legitimately available to other apps. Great suggestion, Keith!

Someonesane
05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Is what Xsysinfo does different then me double tapping my home button, and closing the Apps running in the background? I'm new to iEverything, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it.

johnj
05-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I don't see how... being that once the app is closed, the process is killed off, therefore the memory that said app (process) was using is free...

For example

Mail.app kill mail, and you kill a couple of processes that take up memory

For those who want to compare..

Double click the home button (bring up favorites). Put finger on a favorite until a minus - sign appears, and then select the app. This kills all the apps, along with the processes

royblumenthal
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Hi John...

Your suggestion would be valid IF things were as they seem. However, Steve Jobs and the iOS team have infinite wisdom and better metaphors than the rest of us.

They believe that the user doesn't REALLY want to actually CLOSE an app that they've just closed. Jobs and team second guess us. They think, 'Nah, surely the user doesn't really mean that. Let's just PRETEND to close the app. What we'll REALLY do it freeze the process, leave it dormant and unused in memory, and we'll give the user the ILLUSION that there are no traces of the app jamming up the works.'

So, in a world where the user knows what the user wants, an app would shut down on command. But we don't live in that world. In our world, we actually need to buy an app that'll let us do what we actually intended to do in the first place.

MattRage
05-27-2011, 04:32 AM
It's possible that this app keeps memory clear by allocating it then deallocating it immediately. The way iOS works allows the system to keep things in memory until that memory is needed, then discard anything that was kept that is no longer flagged as being required. It's a reasonable way to make sure you can switch rapidly between environments if you're just going back and forth, but it can be a bit confusing for traditional app models.

We allocate lots of memory when you have a large canvas going with lots of paint on it, and the majority of the crashes we have seen so far happen during that allocation when the process is deep inside the internals of the OS so it's hard for us to say exactly what causes it. We do try to make sure that we free up everything we can however (our panels, for example, clean themselves up rather than waiting for the OS to clean them up later).

Interesting app!

Saphire
09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Do not update this program to 1.5 Apple has told the developers to remove the memory booster, which makes it useless to free up memory.:(

SteveCrowther
09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

The new app update removes the memory boost feature!

This is not good.

Steve

Saphire
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I normally don't read the update features I just press update all, I was lucky I saw the change before I pressed the button. Why Apple has asked for it to be removed I don't know.

MagenSparks
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I am not gonna update it for as long as I can... but it really busts my mellow to hear that.

All the art programs have this same problem of running out of memory (to my knowledge..)

xsys memory boost was the only thing that kept me interested in drawing on the ipad. I'm not keen on having to shut down all the apps per their suggestion. Even when I do that, the memory doesn't just magically reappear. So it really leaves me one choice and it is even less appealing... restart the machine every 30 - 60 minutes...

This really blows. (Pardon my french...) I know the ipad isn't meant to do stuff as a computer or a laptop would... but it was working for me. If I lose this functionality, it's going to basically be a digital book and photo album.

royblumenthal
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I actually *CAN'T* use ArtRage on my iPad1 for anything beyond doodling. It's just too slow, too memory-intensive, and too prone to crashing.

Which is a serious pity. Cos ArtRage is my absolute ultimate image-making tool on my tablet pc.

I think the biggest problem with ArtRage on the iPad isn't ArtRage at all. I think it's Apple's appalling memory management. Many years ago, I reviewed one of the first MacBook Pros for an IT supplement in a South African newspaper.

This machine was literally the FASTEST laptop in existence in the world at that point. AND IT STILL COULDN'T RUN MORE THAN ONE PROGRAM AT A TIME!!!

Apple has NEVER understood memory management. Nor RAM utilisation. And it's clear to me from the iPad that they're stuck where they were 14 years ago.

Please guys... please please please port ArtRage to Android. I've got an Asus Transformer YEARNING to taste ArtRage. Please please please???

suziQ54241
09-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you Whew.

MagenSparks
09-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Apple definitely needs to resolve this kind of issue. If they won't allow people to program their own ways to do it... then it's their responsibility to fix the problem.

Hopefully something will come up for it. Till then I'm not updating xsys unless something goes way wrong and I have to build it up again. Then I'm hosed.

suziQ54241
09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I did download the upgrade... Trying to figure out how to prevent it from loading when I sync. I trashed the app in iTunes... Hope it doesn't pull it from the iPad.. looking for more info.... I use it huge. i'm also not mad at apPle but yoswa I use that app almost every hour for art rage.

Saphire
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Sorry I don't know what to suggest, I don't think there is any way to stop the sync, if there is I would also like to know. I have it sitting in my update section just waiting for me to forget and press update all.

rangeraragorn
09-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I just recently downloaded ArtRage for iPad (I have a 1st gen iPad), and was planning on getting XSysInfo as well until I read some of the reviews on iTunes (thank you for those that reported the removal of the feature in the review section there...it saved me from buying an app that I would otherwise not use).

Is there anything else out there like it? If there is should we just expect Apple to force the developer to water that app down too in the near future as well? Is this just a feature they don't want users to have access to?

suziQ54241
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
It worked. I deleted the app from my itures app gallery on my Mac. Then when I hooked up my iPad... itunes asked if I wanted to back up the app on the iPad to the itunes on my Mac,,,, Whew it all worked well, though itunes now wants me to upgrade. No thanks. I wish I could share my app with those that don't have it but that's not really possible. I feel sorry for the developers I use the app all the time.

MagenSparks
09-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I would expect that they would make everyone take this functionality out of similar programs. I don't think there's anything that can be done other than shutting programs off and restarts.

rangeraragorn
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Over on Xzone's (the developer's) site, they talk about how Apple removed XSysInfo from the iTunes market.

Apple removed app from sale because of this feature. We were asked to
remove memory cleaning from app. That's why app was not sold from 1-st
september till yesterday.
We hope that we will be able restore functionality of our app soon. Stay
tuned!

Please don't upgrade and make a backup copy of version 1.4.4.

Two things:

1) At least they themselves are warning people not to update.
2) It sounds like they are hopeful that the feature may return in future releases (though Apple may think differently).

Saphire
09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Is there somewhere that the program is placed on the pc or Mac to be able to make a backup.

Saphire
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
There is a new update to xsyinfo 1.6 with memory booster back. It works differently. In the usage panel pull down the memory page and it will start to free memory, it's a little slower but seems to work better.:D
It's possible that it wouldn't work with iOS 5 and that was the reason they were asked to remove it. (sigh of relief, phew!)

rangeraragorn
09-19-2011, 12:41 AM
I thought so after reading some of the most recent reviews on iTunes tonight. Glad the feature is back.

Saphire
09-29-2012, 10:16 PM
XsSysinfo doesn't seem to be available any longer it now crashes in iOS 6, I have download system status which works but it doesn't free up as much memory.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/system-status-activity-manager/id401457165?mt=8