PDA

View Full Version : Layers deleted?

Leonortsac
03-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I was working on a painting with multiple layers, saving often. The last time, art rage crashed, and when I went to open my painting, only the base (background) layer was there. The funny thing is, in the gallery view, I can see the painting as if all the layers are still there, so they must still exist somehow. Any ideas on how to recover this (days) of work?

MattRage
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
In case you didn't receive my email regarding this over the weekend:

Unfortunately if the crash happened on save it's possible that the layers have been damaged but that the preview (which is displayed in the gallery) has not been updated so still looks correct. Could you send me a copy of the PTG file and we'll take a look at it to see what can be recovered.

Regarding the crash - If you are using version 1.0.5 of the product did you see the memory warning icon on the toolbar appear at all? We're looking in to any crashes that are reported and so far it seems most of them are caused by the OS running out of memory and terminating the application. The memory warning icon is an indicator that things are starting to get a bit tight. It can pay to save a duplicate of the file if you're seeing that appear a lot.

Leonortsac
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks. got the email and sent you the pic. Yeah, I did notice the memory warning. And that is why I usually save frequently. But sometimes, it just crashes. But usually when it does, I only lose the stuff from my last save, not most of the layers. The thing is if I email a png file of it, the image is intact as it was.

suziQ54241
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I just sent this around to art friends. Doesn't always work, but keep your wits about you when there is a crash.

Black Flash. Your art is gone. And you're back to your home screen. You turn the app back on but your art looks wrong, very wrong. Try not to panic. Go back to the home screen fast. For safety do a hard reset of your device. Holding down home button and on off switch together till it powers off. Or use the app XsysInfo to clear the memory. Turn back on (This sometimes takes a while.)Turn your art app back on. When the art shows up distorted again, go back to the app's gallery, hopefully it will ask if you want to save, obviously NOT! And if the art gods are with you, your gallery should have the last saved version of your work.

Remember save often and with an involved piece saving incremental versions is a really good idea. Hopefully iPad 2 will help with the out of memory problems.

Saphire
03-13-2011, 12:08 AM
This has just happened to me, i have lost 3 days work I save every 15 minutes. I did a save and went to make a drink when i came back it had gone into stanby mode, I switched the screen back on and all I have left is the base layer. I am not on my main computer untill Monday so can't check the files.

MattRage
03-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately, if the OS decides that there isn't enough memory, it will shut the app down instantly, and the size of the files you're working with in ArtRage means that the app isn't given a chance to save your data if this happens. We are continuing to look for potential solutions, or ways to prevent the app being shut down in this manner, but at the moment there's nothing else we can suggest. Saving duplicates from time to time can help minimize loss.

Essentially, if you see a memory warning, the OS may shut the app down at any time without any further warning. We would suggest removing any references or tracing images you have open at that point (which can free up memory) and making sure that there are no other apps going just in case.

If you do find that the file is partially complete I'd be happy to take a look at it here and see if we can extract any data, email it to support@artrage.com and we'll run some tests on it.

Saphire
03-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Thank you Matt, this is my first corrupt image.

Before I open Artrage I remove all programs that are running, run XSysinfo to free up any memory.
I did exactly the same this time, opened up the file worked on it for about 20 minutes then saved it. Cleared the memory, there was 130+ free, worked for another few minutes and saved it again, no out of memory warning. Went away for about 15 minutes which put it in standby mode. I came back opened up the painting and there was only the tracing layer, plus a blank layer. I did a don't save and went to the gallery but the only painting there was the new one without any layers. I will look in the Artrage folder when l am on my main computer tomorrow to see if there is any backup files.

Before it goes into standby mode does it do a save. If it does and the file was corrupt that would account for my original file not to be in the gallery.

Saphire
03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Thank you, I have sent the file to the email address. I have a feeling it is corrupt the file isn't very big.:(