PDA

View Full Version : AR on iPad compared to Mac Pro?

archer
03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
is there anyone here who uses AR on both an iPad and on a Mac Pro, and if so can you comment on the differences in performance/capabilities of the iPad using ArtRage?

thanks!

a

MattRage
03-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I'll let users describe the differences in feel, but there are some basic technical differences between the two:

The main one is due to RAM on the iPad. With 256mb available (minus whatever the OS is using) ArtRage for iPad isn't able to handle files that are as large as the desktop equivalents. Every additional layer with paint on it takes up more space, and things you can take for granted on the desktop such as reference images and tracing images need to be taken in to account as they all have to exist in memory. This means the iPad version can be touchy about what it allows you to do and you may need to do things like remove references after using them to preserve memory. That said, it does suprisingly well on that 256mb!

Speed can also be an issue. The processor isn't as well suited to dealing with the kind of simulation we have to do as desktop machines tend to be. When ArtRage paints, we're manipulating lots of data as well as the color you're using, in order to simulate things like the physical volume of the paint on the canvas, wetness and other things. This means the iPad version will be slower than the desktop version, though brush sizes are limited to try and prevent it becoming too much of an issue.

We have tried to provide as much functionality as is feasible in the iPad version, while modifying some of the behavior of the product to better reflect the physical properties of the device. You should find it a pretty similar experience, even if the toolset is more limited and the range of features you can use are restricted by available RAM.

suziQ54241
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Matt has said it all, and he is right. But as a longtime user on my Cintq and iPad I love it in both places. Because the iPad is so portable I have learned to work with it's slowness. Which I'm hoping will get much better with iPad2. And because it is the "stripped down" version I find working on the iPad a joy. Easy, intuitive, beautiful interface. (EXCEPT FOR THE color sampler! LOL MATT!) I'm either sketching or painting and it's marvelous to have my sketchbook hook right up to my Cintiq for all the bells and whistles the desktop version offers. File transfer to the desktop with all layers intact is a snap. Go to flickr and checkout the iPad Artrage ones. And the mashes with SketchBook Pro too.

monsterblues
03-06-2011, 01:20 AM
I use both Window7 version and the iPad version. Technically the iPad version is inferior because it's has less features. But the iPad itself is more portable. I don't carry a sketch book around anymore because of it. One thing I love is how surprisingly similar they are. Sketchbook Pro iPad and desktop are very different. Nearly all my latest sketchblog posts were done in ArtRage iPad. http://monsterblues.posterous.com/

I can heartily recommend both ArtRage iPad and Studio Pro. However, I don't recommend the plain Studio version ($40). It's missing some features I can't live without. (Lasso selection, lock layer transparency, ect.) You can also try the free demo: http://www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html

Suzi, wasn't the color picker better when you could drag from the color palette? Too bad it wasn't apparent for all users. Now there's a dead zone around the new color picker where you can't start a line.

archer
03-06-2011, 03:52 AM
nice work, monster..

when you use AR on your iPad, what document size can you realistically work with? do you create documents on the iPad which are destined for print, or web/small screen only?

a

monsterblues
03-06-2011, 04:58 AM
The the default size is 1024x768 and the max size is 1440x1440, so I would so small/digital only.

But the way I work, I mostly only sketch on the iPad and then enlarge and do line work on my cintiq in ArtRage and Photoshop.

archer
03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
ah..I see...well for sketching out ideas, or for capturing some real-world element away from your studio that sounds about perfect..

suziQ54241
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Monster you're right and a great help here... I still would prefer the art app standard of press and hold for a color selector.... I can't remember but I think it intefears with AR air brush.... BTW I'm using
http://xzonesoftware.com/products/xsysinfo
And it really helps too free up memory.... keep those great paintings comin!