PDA

View Full Version : paintings from Ipad to computer and vice a versa

Saphire
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Is it possible to uploaded a painting from the ipad and still have all the layers in Artrage 3 to carry on editing, if so will it work the other way around.

suziQ54241
02-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, when you sync with iTunes - the app tab, the artrage folder contains the layered paintings, just drag it out, double click on it and Artrage on your home computer will open them. I have not tried dragging them back in but it should work. It works in other apps.

Saphire
02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I have just tried that suzi, I can't see any folders within artrage application.
I did pull the program onto desktop then it asked if I wanted to replace it on the Ipad.

suziQ54241
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry I was not very clear... the folders are not in the Artrage program...

You can transfer layered ArtRage files between the current iPad and desktop versions via iTunes file sharing.

To get the ArtRage painting file ( PTG ) from your iPad, dock your iPad, open iTunes and go to your iPads 'Apps' tab. (This is in iTunes) Under 'File Sharing', click ArtRage and you'll see a listing of all your painting files which you saved to your gallery on the iPad. These can be dragged to your computer and opened in the desktop version ( File -> Open, or just double clicking the painting file )

Hope this makes more sense, I copied it from on of the rage boys suggestions.

Here's a snap

ctnguyen89
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry I was not very clear... the folders are not in the Artrage program...

You can transfer layered ArtRage files between the current iPad and desktop versions via iTunes file sharing.

To get the ArtRage painting file ( PTG ) from your iPad, dock your iPad, open iTunes and go to your iPads 'Apps' tab. (This is in iTunes) Under 'File Sharing', click ArtRage and you'll see a listing of all your painting files which you saved to your gallery on the iPad. These can be dragged to your computer and opened in the desktop version ( File -> Open, or just double clicking the painting file )

Hope this makes more sense, I copied it from on of the rage boys suggestions.

Here's a snap
:D:D:D:D Thanks for share, it is very useful to me.

Saphire
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you so much Suzi, it works a treat.

I was using dropbox to transfer my files but they are saved as jpegs so I lost the layers. I can now do some more work on my waterfall and still have the layers, Brill.:D

suziQ54241
03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Glad to help. Have fun!

Tad
03-02-2011, 05:33 AM
I get all the transferring stuff. However, I'm having an issue with transferring a .ptg from my computer to an iPad. It seems to transfer ok by hitting the add button and I see the image on my iPad in the gallery area but it only has the default thumbnail and it does not want to open. I've even gone as far as reducing the number of layers by merging. Is there any special criteria for moving a .ptg from the computer to the iPad?

suziQ54241
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I haven't tried this but perhaps your file is too large Maximum size is 1440 x 1440.

Tad
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
That makes sense. I'll try that.

GJetson
03-24-2011, 05:04 PM
When I try to copy an ArtRage3 file from my desktop PC to my iPad 2 via iTunes using the method suggested here, I get a Mona Lisa Frowning with the correct filename below, in the Gallery.

What am I doing wrong?

DaveRage
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM
That will tend to happen if your painting is too large for the iPad to handle. The maximum resolution is 1440 x 1440 due to the smaller amount of RAM on the iPad, so larger files can't be imported.

VinAlly
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi I am relatively new to imac. We bought an ipad2 recently. I would like to give our original ipad to a relative.

I have been able to get files from the iPad onto the iMac but I am unable to transfer files from the iMac to the ipad2. I've been trying for quite some time but I must be missing something.

I'm beginning to think I will never completely understand the file system in iMac. I always knew where files were on the PC.

Regards, Alison

DaveRage
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Alison. In the post linked below it shows how to drag ArtRage paintings out of iTunes and on to your computer. To put ArtRage paintings on to your iPad, just do the reverse, drag the painting from the Finder into 'ArtRage Documents' shown in the image.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showpost.php?p=341711&postcount=4

With ArtRage, this will only work for ArtRage painting files and these will be added to the Artrage gallery on the iPad.

Meestor_X
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Is there a way to transfer paintings without physically connecting the iPad to the computer? Eg via WiFi or email?

DaveRage
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
You can also email individual paintings from your iPad from the ArtRage Gallery. Open the Gallery, tap the export button at the bottom of the screen and then tap the email option. When you do this, note that they are emailed as single layer PNG files however. The only way to transfer ArtRage paintings in their native format ( PTG ) is via the iTunes shared file space with your iPad connected to your computer.

You can find information on saving files, exporting and the gallery by tapping the help button in the app, then tapping the 'Files' section to view it.

MJSparks
07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
This was a pretty informative little thread, I was about to ask a similar question to verify my suspicions about the size of the ptg file. I was going to move one from the PC to the iPad and suspected that I would need to shrink the file.

I figured that might be the case. Now I know!

Thanks

delf
08-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, ArtRage files that I produce on my ipad and email to my pc are in .png format, but my pc version of ArtRage only accepts .ptg files! Leaving aside the annoying issue of WHY HAVE THEY DONE IT THIS WAY???, I'd love to know how I transfer one to another.

A Google search produced nothing, unbelievably the ArtRage manual makes no mention of how to do it, Image Converter Plus that I usually use won't do it, just substituting '.ptg' for '.png' doesn't work and so I'm stuck. I've read the earlier instructions about to do it via iTunes, but iTunes is on my work computer and I'm often needing to do this at home (i.e. without using iTunes).

So, does anyone know of a simple way to transfer .png ArtRage files produced on ipad and emailed to one's computer into .ptg files that can be further manipulated on a pc version of ArtRage??

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions! D Elf

MattRage
08-16-2011, 05:41 AM
PTG files can get very large depending on their contents so email isn't the best medium for sending them.

The manual doesn't mention any other methods because there's only one method for transferring PTG files to a desktop computer from the iPad (detailed in the Files section of the help file): Syncing with iTunes allows you to drag them to your desktop computer.

PNG copies of PTG files are sent by email, and those can be imported in to the desktop version of the application if you wish to work on them, but we'd suggest using PTG directly. PNG files cannot be converted to PTG short of importing them in ArtRage and saving them out as PTG. That's not a good idea, as PNG contains far less data than a PTG file and you'll lose texture information.

delf
08-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Matt. It's all starting to make sense, and I (now) appreciate that data / layers are lost by just emailing. Thanks for clarifying.

Rattletrap
08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Does this work? If so, how do you get an ArtRage picture to Dropbox? Really thrashing around with the various kluges we have to use to get stuff in and out of my iPad. Otherwise, I totally love it. Sure hope iOS 5 addresses a bunch of these issues!

DaveRage
08-29-2011, 03:34 AM
The current version of ArtRage doesn't have additional support for dropbox. We're looking into additional options for sharing your files.

Rattletrap
08-29-2011, 03:44 AM
The current version of ArtRage doesn't have additional support for dropbox. We're looking into additional options for sharing your files.

Thanx, Dave! Great product!

--Tim

marctaro
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
awesome - I knew someone could explain that to me!

screenpainter
03-27-2012, 05:24 AM
as an update to this thread. ArtRage works great with Dropbox now.
just download the free Dropbox for ipad app from Dropbox.

here: (https://www.dropbox.com/ipad)

or from the app store.

sheenasharp
03-30-2012, 09:03 PM
i transferred a painting from my ipad to my computer (system 7)
i then usynced artrage from the ipad
i resynced artrage to the ipad ... great

i tried to reload the painting using add

it is in the list, but not in the gallery.

????

MattRage
03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Could you double check that the file was added back to the ArtRage file sharing slot, and that it is a PTG file? Any other format (JPG or PNG for example) will not appear in the gallery.