PDA

View Full Version : 180 degree painting rotation? Please post details here

DaveRage
02-14-2011, 03:40 AM
We've had a couple of users report that their painting became inverted, rotating 180 degrees, possibly while they were zooming using two fingers. While this shouldn't be damaging to the painting itself, it may mean you have an upside-down painting in your gallery and it's less than ideal having to flip your iPad over.

Important: Make sure you have updated to Artrage for iPad 1.05 first ( latest version as of this post ) as we made a number of improvements relating to rotation in this version.

To help us track the problem down, if you've seen this behavior can you let us know:

1/ What orientation your iPad was in when you created the painting in question e.g. portrait, home button at the bottom
2/ Whether you set the painting up us as a portrait or landscape painting ( via the portrait / landscape toggle on the right ) when you created it
3/ What orientation your iPad was in when the problem occured e.g. landscape, home button at the right
4/ What you were doing at the time when it occured.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give, we're keen to find out what specific set of circumstances causes this. We've been unable to make this happen here, but I'll be continuing to try and reproduce it. You can also contact me directly via support@artrage.com if you prefer.

monsterblues
02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
This has happened to me a couple of times in 1.0.4. It may have happened in 1.0.3 as well.

1) Portrait.
2) Don't remember.
3) Portrait.
4) Double tap to frame. Sometimes when I zoom I do an accidental double tap to frame at the end. That's when it happened.

I usually work with my ipad flat on the desk. I was thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. I save several revisions when I work, so it wasn't a big deal.

If it happens again, I'll take better notes.

DaveRage
02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for that. We put in specific fixes in 1.0.5 for a similar behavior, so I would recommend updating to 1.0.5 if you're not yet running it. Let me know if you see it in that version.

J Witt
02-15-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm using version 1.0.5 and just had it happen to me.
1) Landscape home button on right
2) Landscape home button on right
3) Landscape home button on right
4) I was zooming in with my thumb an forefinger when the knuckle of my middle finger touched the screen and the painting flipped on me. I tried to do it again to get it to flip back but no luck.

DaveRage
02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Thank you. if you can recall, was this all in the same session of using ArtRage, from creating the painting to when the problem occured, and do you know if the iPad was rotated at all during the session before coming back to the original orientation?

DaveRage
02-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Can I also confirm with anyone who's seen this, does it also cause the affected painting to be upside-down in your gallery with respect to your other paintings, as well as when you're working with it? That would be very useful to know as it would give an indication of where the problem is occuring.

J Witt
02-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I had the ipad sitting upright like a table easel and did not spin it around while working. Unfortunately I did not see what the painting looked liked in the gallery view because I was not intending to keep the painting in the first place, so I didn't save it and started a new one.

I thought I had stumbled upon another feature like in Studio where "H" and "V" flip the image so I didn't think much of it.

monsterblues
02-16-2011, 05:19 AM
For me the painting was upside down in the gallery. But I just deleted it and continued from a previous revision.

It was not during the session when I created the file because I was already on revision 14 or 15. Whenever I'm done with a painting session I save as duplicate and continue from there on the next session.

beridane
02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I've had this a few more times now in 1.0.5

Once with the home button at the bottom, having never rotated it since creating the (new) painting. It flipped while I was zooming.

The other times have been in various rotated states, but nothing that I could recall exactly.

If you save the painting it does appear upside down in the gallery yes. If you don't save it it doesn't. If you just come back to the saved state the painting is still rotated.

I also noticed once that I came back to Artrage having pressed the home button and putting the ipad to sleep and the painting was rotated.. I know it wasn't rotated before I parked the app. That was a new one.

halljames
02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I've just had this happen to me.

I was painting a normal portrait painting with iPad in the normal portrait position. I exited the app. Switched off the iPad. I was playing some games so the iPad was probably in landscape mode at some point. I later went back into art rage and it opened up straight away so it was still in memory. My painting was upside down. I hit the button to go to the gallery without saving and in the gallery it was the correct way up. I opened it and everything was fine.

It was almost like while it was running in the background it detected the orientation had changed. I don't know if this is possible though.

MattRage
02-21-2011, 03:28 AM
The problem you're describing in that last post isn't a bug, it's expected.

If you leave ArtRage then come back, your painting will be in the same orientation relative to the home button on the iPad as it was when you left it. So, if you leave the app with the painting the right way up, flip the iPad 180 then come back the painting will be upside down. If you go to the gallery, it's the right way up because the paintings are always displayed the right way up in the gallery, regardless of what orientation you left them in in the canvas.

That way, you don't have to remember to turn your iPad the right way up before going back to the gallery :)

I am starting to think that this might actually be what people are seeing. We have been unable to make the paintings turn the wrong way up in the gallery.

beridane
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't know what others are seeing Matt, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that my painting flipped upside down between me putting my iPad to sleep and waking it up again.

I know this because

1) When in portrait mode I always create my painting and paint with the home button at the bottom.
2) I always turn my ipad on in portait with the home button at the bottom.
3) After saving the painting it was upside down in the gallery.

Aside from the ipad asleep scenario, the painting does literally flip 180 degrees as you are painting. For me I have noticed it happen a few times before my eyes only as I was zooming.. and once I noticed it had flipped during painting but I wasn't conscious of the moment it happened, it may have been during a zoom but I didn't think so at the time. Not sure if you were doubting this is happening in your last post.

nbraxton
03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I experienced this last night.

Latest version of ArtRage
Landscape.
Happened multiple times with home button on left and right

Seemed to occur while zooming.

The app also crashed and I lost my active layer and the paint on it. I know at the time of the errors I had low memory.

smoque
04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Dealing with it right now. I'd gotten used to the painting being in the wrong direction before, I'd just flip the ipad, but now dealing with it continiously mid painting makes me fell like a plate spinner on Ed Sullivan.

DaveRage
04-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Smoque, as it sounds like it's happening constantly for you, can you tell us what actions appear to trigger it for you? Does it happen every time you perform a particular action? Could you please also let me know:

1/ What orientation your iPad was in when you created the painting in question e.g. portrait, home button at the bottom
2/ Whether you set the painting up us as a portrait or landscape painting ( via the portrait / landscape toggle on the right ) when you created it
3/ What orientation your iPad was in when the problem occured e.g. landscape, home button at the right
4/ What you were doing at the time when it occured. Have you been zooming a lot?

quickdraw
04-07-2011, 01:04 AM
This happens to me all the time. In my case it opens and the last thing I was working on opens...upside down. I just go to gallery without saving and the piece is there right side up. I open and it's ok

MattRage
04-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Because we're not able to replicate the problem here we need more information from people who are experiencing it. The 4 items Dave posted above are really important for us to know when you are reporting this problem: Without that information, there is nothing we can do.

Here's what we can see currently:

- For the purposes of testing this, open up the app with the home button at the bottom, and create a new portrait file. Then write 'up' at the top of the canvas. This guarantees that you know which way up your painting was created and avoids situations where it's upside down when you start painting (which could make it appear that it has flipped later on when it appears in your gallery). If you are seeing the painting appear upside down in the gallery, we need to know if you have ever seen it there the right way up.

To see it flip 180, all I need to do is this:

1. Rotate my iPad 180 degrees (the painting does not change orientation).
2. Tap on the screen with 2 fingers.

The 2 finger tap flips the painting. This is a side effect of the system correcting the painting orientation when its dimensions are reset (two finger tap resets the painting).

It's entirely possible that a 2 finger tap could happen accidentally during zooming. Given that when we have had reports of what was going on before the problem was seen, and that often includes zooming, I'm guessing that this is what is causing it. If another finger brushes against the iPad while zooming, or if one touch isn't registered, or if the zoom is very quick, it's possible that the system isn't recognizing the zoom but is instead assuming that you requested a reset. So, Dave's question 4 is really important when reporting this.

Quickdraw: It sounds like the painting appeared the right way up in the gallery at least once as well as appearing the wrong way up. This is something we'll look in to further as we have been unable to make this happen so far. I am guessing that it relates to the original orientation of the painting and perhaps when it was first saved.

Beridane: Did the painting ever appear the right way up in the gallery? If not, it may have been created and painted on upside down, or a stray two finger tap before painting might have flipped it before you started. Did it ever correct itself in the gallery?

nbraxton: Sounds like the two finger tap causing the flip. The crash probably did relate to the OS closing the app due to low memory.

Smoque: Dave's questions cover anything we'd need to know about your situation. If it's happening constantly then we have a good chance to find out what's causing it for you. I'm guessing it relates to zoom/pan and the two finger tap.

So, if anyone wants to report this problem, please make sure to include the answers to Dave's 4 questions above, because without that information there's nothing new we can look in to.

Thanks for the feedback.

beridane
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
"Beridane: Did the painting ever appear the right way up in the gallery? If not, it may have been created and painted on upside down, or a stray two finger tap before painting might have flipped it before you started. Did it ever correct itself in the gallery?"

Yes Matt. I've not had my ipad for several weeks (apple had to replace it twice because of faults) so it's been a while. I can't say with absolute certainty now if the painting was ever the right way up in the gallery.. but I think so.
I do notice that the two finger tap reorients the painting to the current orientation and that saving it doesn't affect anything negatively (although if I have a portrait painting and I do this while the ipad is in landscape orientation is always orients the top to the home button.. irrespective of which landscape orientation I have.. which is a little confusing, surely in this case it shouldn't do anything at all apart from set zoom to 100% ).

I'm confused about how a painting can get created upside down. I can confirm without a doubt that I had my ipad in one single orientation the whole time, from opening artrage, to creating, to painting and then seeing the flip. I I know this because I had it on a kind of easel. So, if it is the two finger tap reorienting the painting that we're seeing, then maybe there is a situation where the painting gets created upside down incorrectly?

I'll keep on experimenting to see if I can find steps to reproduce it.