PDA

View Full Version : Serious zoom problem in 1.5 - in LANDSCAPE only

beridane
02-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,
The new zooming system has quite a serious problem in a landscape painting that I never noticed until today. I'm trying to work on a painting and do some detailed work in the corner... but trying to zoom into a corner is nigh on impossible as the canvas seems to track away from my fingers as I zoom in.

All I can say is try it... you'll see immediately what the problem is. It's actually stopping me painting so.. :(

Just try to zoom into a corner at 800% on a landscape canvas.. it seems as though beyond a certain size, the centre of the zoom (which should be between my fingers always) moves closer to the centre of the canvas and try as you might that corner that you want to see just moves further away.

nartist
02-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Not having that problem in landscape mode or otherwise. :confused:

beridane
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Really??

Did you create your canvas in a landscape orientation?

I don't mean the physical rotation of the iPad, I mean the actual canvas.

Create a new canvas and click the orientation button to make a new landscape canvas before accepting.

The physical orientation of the iPad isn't relevant to this problem, just the aspect ratio of the canvas itself.

suziQ54241
02-13-2011, 09:54 PM
No problem for me either.... Try flushing your memory. When wacky stuff starts happening that usually fixes it. (power off the iPad holding home and power button till it shuts off. Then turn on again... And it takes a while to turn on don't panic.)

beridane
02-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks Suzie.. however I already tried restarting the ipad.. are you absolutely certain you can do this without a problem...??

1. create a new painting with a landscape shaped canvas say the default landscape size of 1024 x 768

2. paint a blob in one corner

3. try to zoom into that corner (I can just about get there if I keep zooming and panning, I counted, it takes me at least a full zoom plus about 6 full screen pans...

4. Now try to zoom out a little and back in again.

Having said all this, if it is only me with this problem I did notice a very odd bug yesterday when I was playing around.. but it was with a new portrait sized canvas... I had spent about 10 minutes painting and was just zooming a portion of the canvas when the whole canvas became rotated 180 degrees, I had to abandon it because there was nothing I could do to rescue it... I wonder if something has happened to my artrage internal settings because of that..? (guys?)

DaveRage
02-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi Beridane,

I'm able to reproduce that and have taken a note regarding zooming in landscape mode to corners so that we can take a look at it for an update.

Regarding the 180 degrees rotation, I haven't been able to reproduce this here, so feel free to let me know at support@artrage.com if you see it again, together with the original ipad orientation and file aspect when created. What was it about the rotation which caused you to have to abandon the painting at that point? Just checking if it was just upside down or whether there was anything else you saw.

MattRage
02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Regarding rotation - When you say you had to abandon the painting, what happened to it when it flipped? Did the canvas rotate or did the layer contents flip?

If the canvas rotated, if you rotated your iPad 180 degrees did that correct the problem or did the canvas keep flipping? If the contents flipped, could they be flipped back by transforming?

Trying to get some details on why it needed to be abandoned, then we can look in to it in more detail.

beridane
02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for that.. I did try deleting and reinstalling ArtRage just to make sure it wasn't something that got corrupted in a settings file somewhere... I ruled that out. Since you can reproduce it I'll leave it with you then, thanks.

About the sudden rotation, I believe I was just zoomed out to the minimum when it just happened... pop. I tried dozens of times to reproduce it but haven't been able to.

I didn't 'have' to abandon it in reality.. it was upside down and theoretically I could have continued work on it.. but it was only a mess around and nothing worth keeping.. had it been I would have reoriented it on desktop ArtRage and put it back on my iPad.. but of course not everyone will have that luxury.
I wondered if it were something to do with the scale factor suddenly going into the negative and not being able to go back to positive.. perhaps if you can't track the bug down based on reproducing it you might see if your code would treat it like that and put some auto-correction in just in case. Just thinking out loud :)

beridane
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi Matt,

The entire 'canvas' was rotated.. or apparently rotated. The painting was then upside down in the gallery, I tried rotating the device, I went to the layer settings to try to do it manually but it only flips/rotates the defined section with paint on it.. and since it had multiple layers I would have had a very fiddly job to do it by hand..

Nothing at that point changed the rotation of the canvas. If I turned the ipad upside down I could have continued painting on it.. but I abandoned it specifically because I doubted its integrity after that. I didn't know what caused the sudden rotation of both layers, whether it was an actual rotation or whether it was a scaling issue.. I suspected the latter, hence I put it down to a bug in the zooming system which had somehow corrupted the painting, so I left it, just in case.

nartist
02-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow, my bad, it does tug you back toward the center, doesn't it? Wouldn't cause me to abandon a painting but I can see how it would be mildly annoying.

beridane
02-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Ahh so I'm not going mad ;)

No, I abandoned a painting because it suddenly flipped upside down in front of my very eyes.. and regarding the zoom, I can't paint with it like that.. not when I need to zoom in and out regularly. Portrait oriented canvases are ok though and I'll probably just reorient the canvas to be portrait, just until a fix comes along.

DaveRage
02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Definitely not going mad :D. Do email me if you see the 180 degree flip again, any information we can get on that could be handy. Appreciate the info you've given us so far!

beridane
02-14-2011, 12:06 AM
No problem Dave, will do :)

Saphire
02-14-2011, 02:32 AM
This as happened to me, I don't know what I did apart from touch accidentally with another finger and it suddenly jumped upside down and I couldn't rotate it back again. Fortunately I had only just started to paint. I looked in the help files to see if there was finger gesture to rotate it back.

suziQ54241
02-14-2011, 03:05 AM
And after reading this I gave it another shot, painting only in the corner, then trying zoom. It is hard to control, though not impossible to work with and I'm happy to hear it's been noted by our pros...... Thanks again guys, this awesome program will just get better and better.

DaveRage
02-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Regarding the 180 degree rotation, could anyone who sees this please post on this thread here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=339124 with the information? That should be helpful in assisting us to find what specific set of circumstances might be causing it.

Rytterfalk
03-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I've had that strange rotation problem lots of times and it's been really annoying me.. I think it happens when I zoom in or out while a third finger joins by mistake or something. Never been able to reproduce. And it happens much less now with 1.5..

Also, another really annoying bug that bugs me is that when you zoom in and start painting "too fast" then it suddenly goes back to something like full view - (zoomed out).. It happens waaay to often to be pleasant.. I don't have the patiens to wait a couple of seconds before I can continue to paint - and it doesn't happen all the time which makes it even more annoying.

MattRage
03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm not able to reproduce the problem of the canvas zooming back to 100% if I paint quickly after zooming (I've been trying to zoom, release, then immediately tap and drag again). Could you let me know if it's with specific tools, and if you've cleared out parked apps and restarted the iPad recently?