PDA

View Full Version : Zooming and Panning in the new version 1.5 - EXCELLENT

halljames
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Just updated to the new version of Artrage and I must say that zooming and panning is now super fast, where as before I was having some major issues zooming in and getting the display to update, now its silky smooth.

Thanks very much.

Loving it.

mikejl
02-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes. This was the one issue I had with pre-1.05. Its much better.. love it and great job.

Love it!
:D

Saphire
02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
How do I update to new version I only purchased on Sunday, on itunes its showing the price, I don't need to purchase it again.

Sorted took the risk and when I pressed purchase it said it was an update.

beridane
02-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I love the new zooming and panning speeds..but I find that it's not very consistent with how zooming and panning works normally.

Kind of hard to explain, but in the photos app if you pinch, the two points you touched pretty much track your fingers, whether you're pinching or panning...but artrage zooming and panning just feels wrong... It works, and it's fast, it just doesn't feel natural as it doesn't track my fingers.

Anyway...here's a sample of mine from my iPad... :)

DaveRage
02-10-2011, 12:55 AM
How do I update to new version I only purchased on Sunday, on itunes its showing the price, I don't need to purchase it again.

Sorted took the risk and when I pressed purchase it said it was an update.

You can do it that way. Normally, I'd recommend opening up the App Store on your iPad, then tapping the 'Updates' button at the bottom right of the navigation bar which will give you a list of any applications which can be updated. All the updates we have released for the iPad version have been free. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback on zoom / panning everyone!

MattRage
02-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Some fantastic art going on here, awesome stuff!

The reason the zooming doesn't feel like the photos app is because it has to be geared differently. Photos zooms to about 300%, so if you fingers are 2cm apart when you start they will be around 6cm apart when finished (give or take the margin of error from my quick measuring!).

ArtRage zooms to 800%, and if you want to get a zoom in one motion to 800% (which is wise, for the sake of avoiding having to do more than one zoom gesture to zoom in to max) you need to gear the distance split to more than 1:1, otherwise if your fingers were 2cm apart at the start, you'd need to spread to 16cm to get 800% (wider than the screen in portrait mode, and a bit clumsy).

Panning pretty much tracks your fingers 1:1 regardless of size, but again the fact that we scale to 800% rather than 300% means that small variations in the distance between your fingers while you pan will cause larger zoom increments than in Photos and might make it more noticeable.

beridane
02-10-2011, 02:24 AM
You're absolutely right Matt... I can see why you've done it that way and now I'm used to it already. It's impressively fast actually... :)

I'm noticing that occasionally the background isn't erased prior to resizing/panning, so it kind of leaves a duplicate behind, but only for the duration of the gesture... just so you know. It isn't a problem (unless it causes or is the cause of a memory prob).

Excellent release, so well done guys! It defintitely feels quicker overall... is that my imagination? :)

MattRage
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
I think the left over image is from the original canvas, shouldn't be a memory issue. There may have been a speed increase as we optimised our resources before releasing this one so it might have improved performance slightly.