PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage crashes several times

Hone
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I've been using AR for just a few days... fantastic... However, several times it simply goes to a black screen and then back to the iPad icon screen. Unless I've saved, I lose all work done. My iPad has max memory... What could be causing this to happen?

MattRage
01-07-2011, 09:25 AM
If the app is crashing it may be that the iPad needs to be rebooted. If you hold down the Home and Power buttons until the device shuts down (ignore the power off slider and keep holding the buttons), then hold Power until it starts up again, that should improve performance and stability. Basically, restarting the device like that cleans out memory and gives the app a clean slate to work from.

If you experience crashes after that, we'd be interested to know more details on what you were doing at the time, how long you had been painting, and whether you had run anything else (or whether anything else was running in the background such as other multitasking apps). That would help us narrow down what might be causing it and find a solution.

Sorry to hear about the problem, we're working on trying to track down crashes and the more information we get, the better.

Hone
01-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Just happened again. I ws drawing with a stylus for about an hour when the screen suddenly went blank and then the icon screen appeared. When I started ArtRage, the drawing was gone, but the new canvas I had picked was still there...

MattRage
01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
It sounds like a memory problem, could you let me know if the app shut down while you were painting a stroke, just as one finished, or when you were doing something else?

Over time, the iPad's memory fills up and if none is available the OS can shut down the application. We are looking at a warning system that will help you see when your device is having problems, but in the meantime I would suggest using the Save and Continue option as you paint to make sure that you have a copy of the painting saved.

Hone
01-13-2011, 01:40 AM
I have the max memory in my iPad...

I think a warning system is needed. How do I leave ArtRage so it's memory use is restored? Does that happen automatically when I leave the program?

MattRage
01-13-2011, 01:54 AM
All iPads have the same amount of memory, storage space (eg. 16, 32, or 64GB) is not memory.

To free up memory you should quit applications and restart the iPad. In iOS4.2 applications do not quit when you close them, you have to close them manually. See this thread for instructions on how to clean up system memory when applications have left it full: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32970

A memory warning is being worked on so that you can see when the device might need to be restarted.