PDA

View Full Version : Fingers get in the way

Raymond
01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Can anyone please tell me if they know of a way of allowing me to touch the ipad, an inch or so away from where I want to draw/paint, because my fingers are blocking my view, I need handles on the drawing instruments or something like that. Zooming helps but it's not the answer.

maybewonderful
01-03-2011, 12:49 AM
I can't say that this will work for you, since I use a bamboo tablet versus an ipad, but you can slow the sensitivity so the reactions of your tablet slow enough for you to get a good look at the screen as the line shows up.... if that makes any sense. Sorry if this doesn't help you, I hope you find a way to fix your problem!

Scratch_
01-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I know other iPad programs allow you to specify an offset, which makes it easier to see the cursor. I ended up buying a Boxwave stylus. Makes it a lot easier to see what's being drawn.

MattRage
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
At the moment, the system works as it does on the desktop, which means that the last visible part of the stroke (with tools such as oil) isn't the end of the stroke. Because of the way the paint mixing and texture system works, you can't see the final result of what's under the brush until the brush moves away or is lifted from the canvas. In this case, the finger generally obscures that part of the stroke, which wouldn't be rendered anyway if there was an offset. For some tools like pencil the natural offset is much shorter however and there would be some advantage to offsetting there.

We considered an offset and may add it in a future update.

Rowena
01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I am told that there is a stylus available for use on an iPad... I know someone who has ordered one and am waiting to hear how it works. I enjoy fingerpainting with everything except such things as pencil drawings or fine ink line... for this I imagine the stylus would be very handy indeed :)

joey301
06-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I am told that there is a stylus available for use on an iPad... I know someone who has ordered one and am waiting to hear how it works. I enjoy fingerpainting with everything except such things as pencil drawings or fine ink line... for this I imagine the stylus would be very handy indeed :)

My stylus helps. However, if my hand hits the screen, it creates a line. So, you have to totally lift your hand from the screen to use the stylus.

screenpainter
06-09-2011, 04:24 PM
My stylus helps. However, if my hand hits the screen, it creates a line. So, you have to totally lift your hand from the screen to use the stylus.

you could use a glove with your stylus... designed for keeping the side of your hand from making marks on the screen. take a look at this vid on youtube:

http://youtu.be/jYSRQDxeGZY

eighty+
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks Gaz most helpful gotta go back to view. Ok

muchachotron
09-01-2011, 01:32 AM
i recommend a glove as well. best thing is to test it to make sure it isn't conductive, but most will not be. i picked up a few simple woven gloves for like 50 cents a pair at big lots. i recommend cutting as much of the glove away as you can to make it breathable and comfortable. i left pinky and ring finger with glove fingers intact as those make contact with the screen. thumb and remaining digits are naked.

furbawl
01-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Forget fingers and gloves. Get a iPad-friendly stylus.

I recommend the POGO stylus choices at tenonedesign.com

I have purchased all three POGO variants and, for me, the smallest and cheapest POGO does the trick (if you have big Yeti-sized hands, it may be a tad cumbersome to grip, which, in that case, go for a larger version). The small diameter of the cushioned tip gives the best accuracy you could hope for and, for the most part, it doesn't get in the way of what you're doing.

Take it from one who's used a POGO to create two award-winning animations on a iPhone, the POGO is the way to go.

Margi
01-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I love my Adonit Jot. I wore a glove for a while, but i guess i got used to holding my hand up, cause i dont seem to need it now.
http://adonit.net/product/jot/

Saphire
01-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I have two favourites, short bristle Nomad brush for large brush work and the Adonit Jot can't be beaten when it comes to doing precision strokes.

leechie
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Has improved the experience tenfold