PDA

View Full Version : iOS 4.2 Support

JohnT
11-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Are there plans and a time line for support of iOS 4.2, specifically multitasking, in ArtRage for iPad?

suziQ54241
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
John the guys are sleeping across the globe, but I know they're working on it.

AndyRage
11-13-2010, 08:15 PM
We've been testing ArtRage under iOS 4.2 and it has been working well as is. There's one small issue with the brush size preview which I'll look into.
It has been stable with the multi-tasking aspects of iOS 4.2

MattRage
11-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I've been pretty impressed actually. We let Dave loose on it and he wasn't able to make it explode. We hope to submit the update for approval shortly.

JoePhoto
11-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Should we hold off updating to ios 4.2? I wouldn't want to loose art rage on my iPad if I upgrade over the weekend.

JohnT
11-25-2010, 07:37 AM
You should not lose any of your apps in the upgrade to 4.2, although Apple cautions to backup before any upgrade. I upgraded with no issues but it was slow. ArtRage works with multitasking but shows the app splash screen before returning you to the point where you had left off - presumably it will bypass the spash screen when ArtRage is patched to work with 4.2.

MattRage
11-25-2010, 09:39 PM
The 1.0.4 version of ArtRage is currently in review and we hope it will be approved soon. When it is available, it will bypass the splash screen when launching from a parked state using the Multitasking system. Until then, the app has to launch each time you switch back to it.

Quick edit for clarity: The splash sometimes appears for a brief moment in the new update when returning to the app (particularly if you have rotated while out of ArtRage), but that's not the app loading, it's the interface reconstructing itself behind a curtain and it lasts under a second.

MattRage
12-03-2010, 06:29 AM
The 1.0.4 update for ArtRage for iPad has been released, details here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=328792

Icepulse
12-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Since the iPad 4.2 update, ArtRage Mobile is showing some pretty sluggish performance, even w/ the new update. Of course, I did a hard reset after installing, and I've closed all other apps running behind (multitasking). Even w/ basic 1024 x 768, one layer with no strokes, new layer creation and pinch-zooming seems to run like a pig.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MattRage
12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
That's peculiar, we actually saw some speed improvements here. I'll do some testing and see if I can replicate the problem here.

JoePhoto
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm experiencing a lot of lag with pinch zooming as well. More than one layer and it's pretty laggy. Tried a hard reset with no improvement.

MattRage
12-07-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm seeing some fairly minor lag when I am at around 800%, about the same with one or more layers, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem you're seeing. We'll look in to it when we work on the next update and see if we can see anything that might be causing it.

Could you let me know if it's happening at all zoom levels?

JoePhoto
12-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Matt,

yes, it's happening at all zoom levels. The best way I can describe it, is that I have to tap two fingers and hold for 1-2 seconds, I'll notice the screen twitch (the image detail mosaics) and then I'm able to zoom. The zooming itself is fairly smooth but it can get choppy with a few layers. Sometimes I'll lose site of a layer while zooming then it reappears.

MattRage
12-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Can I confirm that the reset you've done was by holding the home and power buttons until the iPad shut down, not using the power off slider?

That behaviour is very different from what we're seeing here so there may be something else going on in the mix that we're not doing.

Does this happen if, after a reset, you open ArtRage, add one layer to whatever canvas you see, paint a stroke, then zoom, without doing anything else? If not, could you see if there's some common trigger for this happening that you can think of, such as having previously gone to the Gallery, having had music playing (the media manager is a good one to watch out for), or having loaded tracing images etc?

Icepulse
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I always perform a hard reset in exactly that way.

Icepulse
12-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes.... Still a headache. Even after a fresh boot w/ no apps running in BG, the zoom controls are running like a pig, even before I lay down my 1st stroke.

MattRage
12-19-2010, 12:06 AM
While I wasn't able to replicate the problem in any significant way, we have made some changes that should improve zoom speed significantly and we're working on an update that we will start testing shortly.

hunguptodry
01-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I got artrage for my ipad a few days ago. this is my experience of the problem.
1) creating a new painting in landscape 1024x768 lags very badly.
2) creating a new painting in portrait 768x1024 is much better.
It still lags somewhat. You cannot seem to do 2 drags in quick succession.
3) after playing aroung with layer transformation, particularly rotation.
the situation hardly lacks anymore. i rotated the layer quite a bit before i noticed this.
4) the best thing is that subsequent paintings created also do not lag.
I stick to portrait (un-rotated) paintings.
5) I use only 1 layer.