PDA

View Full Version : Custom Grain Textures

jimblodget
11-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Today I discovered how to install custom grain textures in ArtRage for iPad.

First, a disclaimer. I'm not a programmer. I'm not sure how risky this is. I'm trying it at my own risk.

Here's how I did it. The trick was to use Phone Disk to mount my iPad as a hard disk on my Macbook. This nifty Mac app is available for free through December. Once mounted, you can open the ArtRage folder and right mouse click on the ArtRage app and Show Package Contents. From there you can open the App Resources folder and navigate down to the Grains folder. All the Grain textures are png files. I made a custom texture in Photoshop - 512 x 512 px - and saved it as a png. I then dragged the custom png file into the Grains folder on the iPad. The new grain texture showed up in ArtRage at the end of the Grains list after all the default ones. The name was the filename. This really opens up a lot of possibilities.

So far I've only added 3 new custom grain textures. Each file is less than 200 K. I didn't want to add too much to the program. I haven't experienced any problems or crashes so far. Keep you fingers crossed.

suziQ54241
11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
OK Jim that's cool. I see a new thread we could start... exchanging tools. I've made a couple of new markers and brushes as well. AND Thank you for Explanation I got the app and may try it too.

MattRage
11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Technically all of the resources are stored as flat files so things like presets, grains, and canvases could be replaced this way. However, I'm going to have to do some research in to this to find out what the situation is regarding the app's distribution certificate if you change its resource contents as I wasn't aware that you could edit the files directly like this. Be cautious if you try editing files this way, it might invalidate the application on the device and we can't guarantee that it will work after editing.

suziQ54241
11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
And you might crash your machine. I just did. I think I'll tinker later (Crashed my iMac, not the ipad)