PDA

View Full Version : in an art rage!

flick
10-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm in yet another art rage! I was just attempting the most simple strokes and was getting anything but! i think the trouble is with the secondary settings. You cant tell what you've selected. They dont light up or anything. And that color picker is just ridiculously complicated. Also, the layers are impossible to manage. What a shame. I'm sure one has an easier time if one is experienced in the desktop version, but for me this is like going to see a poorly made movie of a great book you haven't read! Meanwhile i am ignoring my favorite high performing, beautifully designed apps just because this one looks so inticing! Rage! Rage! Rage!
PS I have mastered lots and lots og art apps, btw!:mad:

suziQ54241
10-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I wonder if Judith T is going to do any videos on the iPad version. Perhaps watching someone use it would help.

See here

http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/artragebasic.html

Helene
10-08-2010, 06:32 PM
:mad:
Artrage keeps crashing and losing my paintings. I have lots of memory and I deleted all but 2 paintings. Also I find the controls non-intuitive. The color picker is really awkward. Some of the brushes have very long lags. I also wonder about the resolution of my saved work.

You need to publish a real manual for ar on iPad. There is too much difference between the mac version and iPad for the original manual to be useful. The tiny manual you include is insufficient to explain your complicated app. Brushes app can have a small set of instructions because it is designed to be intuitive and clean. Artrage isn't.

This app has so much potential but it is full of glitches. I think this is still a beta version and you shouldn't have charged for us to test it. I think you should offer refunds in fact. If the developers are going to be at the IAMDA con in NY I hope to talk to you about your app.

rofthorax
10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
:mad:
Artrage keeps crashing and losing my paintings. I have lots of memory and I deleted all but 2 paintings. Also I find the controls non-intuitive. The color picker is really awkward. Some of the brushes have very long lags. I also wonder about the resolution of my saved work.

Ya, it's a memory hog, I think the solution for now is to turn the iPad off and then back on again, cause that will relinquish resources so that Art Rage can run better. I've asked the ArtRage guys if undo/redo can be turned off, because I think (I'm not affiliated with them, just a user like you) , I think the undo/redo is slowing the program down, and I think the next step for them would be to add a autosave option with versioning, such as how autosave is implemented in Blender 3D. I also told them that Ton is not planning to make a port of blender to the iPad because of Apples licensing constraints, and because Apple doesn't permit interpretive languages like python on the iPad, which blender is heavily dependent. BTW, iDough for the iPad is a cool 3D modeler.

You need to publish a real manual for ar on iPad. There is too much difference between the mac version and iPad for the original manual to be useful. The tiny manual you include is insufficient to explain your complicated app. Brushes app can have a small set of instructions because it is designed to be intuitive and clean. Artrage isn't.

Well neither the iPad nor iPod touch have manuals, what's with that Apple?

Ya, this is the first release for the iPad, they also don't use any of the conventions of the iPad like the list editing features, or the dashed button that permits you to drag things around in an ordered list. They should look at how auto desk sketchbook pro implements it, it's not a patented design feature but I think it is part of the iPad's GUI toolkit. Sketchbook pro is no match for artrage, it's not really as capable, but their implementation of layers seems to be more intuitive.

This app has so much potential but it is full of glitches. I think this is still a beta version and you shouldn't have charged for us to test it. I think you should offer refunds in fact. If the developers are going to be at the IAMDA con in NY I hope to talk to you about your app.

no..

Just think how many shity applications exist for $7 on the iPad, a lot, I calculated it once, about 33% of the apps I get on the iPad are total crap. The only drawing applications that can approach touching this is sketchbook pro, and Asketch/harmonious which utilize procedural drawing features. But you were lucky to get Artrage on the iPad, because the iPad though it is popular is pretty slow compared to say a netbook (I have an acer aspire, and Artrage for the PC runs plenty fast, even in Wine on Ubuntu Linux). The iPad is a challenge I expect for the ArtRage guys even. Keep in mind that on the iPad platform you get free upgrades.. and these ArtRage guys have been very good about offering updates, even for PC/Mac versions. note Art Rage 2.5 was $25 when I got it from them, and they've offered me free updates for that. So these are the good guys, just give them time, This is their first shot at the iPad, and having to get stuff past Apple into the app store, is no walk in the park. Note, facebook decided they were not going to make an Ipad app because they were fed up with Apple. The only reason people are coming to the iPad platform is for the same reason companies are attracted to Sams/walmart, they have a captive audience who have proven they will pay for applications, and there is no piracy.

By the way, be sure to backup your iPad, I had it hard crash on me, and I had to start from scratch without backups, and if you've bought any media from iTunes, you lose that, Apple will not restore that if you fail to make backups. But the apps will restore, if you can collect your receipts and determine what you purchased. Once you've bought an app, it's yours forever (it seems). And if you have a iPod touch, some apps don't require a repurchase, so you get the benefit of having the same apps on the iPad and iPod touch.

But what ArtRage guys should do is offer a "lite" version, I've found that on the app store I am more likely to jump to purchase a full copy of something if there is a free lite version of the same program. Also they should add "HD" to the title so that people know it is for the iPad. The iPod touch 4G's resolution is close to the iPad, but it's hardly as useful, after I got mine I realized why people were buying the iPad. I started with the iPad then got the iPod touch, which now uses the same CPU as the iPad.

suziQ54241
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
There is a great iPad guide on apple's web site here
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

And I think art rage is fabulous, sure it's young now and has a few glitches but I will do my best to help make the app the best it can be. For those of you who don't want to... Stop using it. Come back in a couple of months. Or not. Not every art app suits every artist. I do take offense to some of the tone here, having worked with the rage team for a couple of years now, they are so behind their work and their users, I only offer them kind words and thanks for the incredible app they are porting to my favorite device.

And I see there is another upgrade out. Thanks again!!!!! Go Rage Boyz!

MattRage
10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems. We're always looking for ways to improve the application however, and we do intend to put together a full manual online so that you can go over the features in more detail.

Here are some general notes:

Secondary Settings:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'secondary settings'. Do you mean presets? If you select a preset, it applies itself to your tool's settings, you can see the settings in the settings panel (the leftmost button on the tab bar).

Color Picker:

In general, the color picker is as simple as:

1. Select the 'hue' you want in the outer curve.

2. Tap and drag in the inner curve to select how vivid and bright you want that color to be.

There are variations of picker you can select but that's the default mode. If you want the picker visible, you can leave it open, otherwise, tap the color pod (the right hand corner of the picker) and it will collapse.

You may also find that the Tint/Tone picker is more to your liking. Tap and hold on the color pod and you'll get a menu with options. Select the Tint/Tone picker and that gives you a hue ring with diamond Pure hue -> White -> Black -> Grey axes.

Speed & Stability:

ArtRage is a pretty complex application. Rather than just putting color on a flat sheet, we're working in the background with a full 3D simulation, monitoring the amount of paint on the canvas and applying dynamic lights to it. This means that when you paint you'll probably find the strokes go slower than apps that are just dropping colored pixels on to a picture. The upshot is that you get color blending and smearing, which respect the amount of paint available, and a textured result that updates live rather than needing to be applied in post-process.

Powering your iPad down then restarting it will probably help with speed and stability, it clears out the device memory and gives you a clean slate to work from.

Removing paintings from your gallery won't free up memory, gallery images are stored in storage space rather than device memory. In testing we have had large amounts of paintings in there without problem, but again, rebooting can help because it frees up your iPad and lets the application work smoothly.

And Finally:

If you are experiencing crashes after powering down and rebooting (powering down by holding the top button for 5 seconds or so then okaying the power down), please get in touch with us (support@artrage.com) and let us know the details so that we can either help find a solution or make sure the issue is addressed in an update. Without feedback, we don't know what the problems that need sorting out are.

Similarly, if you find something confusing or unintuitive, let us know and we'd be happy to help, and consider changes in updates to make things easier to use. There's definitely some complexity buried in the system, but we tend to keep that a few layers in so that you don't need to hit it as you paint unless you're actively looking for it.

As we're based in New Zealand, we're not going to have developers at the IAMDA conference, though there may be a representative there. I would invite you to get in touch with us by email (support@artrage.com) and we'd be happy to talk.

benjaminrabe
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
In terms of hardware usage this app is the most cutting edge painting app you can get, and I actually wanna motivate you guys to keep pushing it. Also I muss be doing something wrong cause I don't experience many crashes :)
I'm used to to incremental save work on any computer, it's like a good habit.

Keep pushing, Ragies!:)

bfloch
10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
After rebooting I get crashes when changing colors in the tint tone color mode :(

DaveRage
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
bfloch - we have located a problem which might relate to that if you are holding the iPad upside down ( button at the top ) in portrait mode and using the tint tone picker specifically. We'll be including a fix for this in an update. If that doesn't match what you're seeing there, could you email me at support@artrage.com with the details including the orientation of the iPad at the time and any steps you feel cause the problem and I'll be happy to look through it with you. If this does match what you're seeing, either using a different color picker mode, or flipping the iPad 180 degrees so that the home button is at the bottom should help in the meantime. Sorry for the inconvenience.

MiaBia_DC
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Ya know, I gotta commend this team. It is the first attempt to put this very sophisticated software on a mobile device and its doing just fine. even with glitches. I'm a bit partial because I love the Artrage version for the desktop and i've been waiting and waiting for it to hit the iPad.

I think it is well worth the $7, especially since they are working on the glitches. The crashing (which I don't really have because I reboot my iPad prior to using the app) reminds me of Wasabi when it was first released. Wasabi, which is totally subpar by comparison, crashed every two minutes on me...i faithfully opened and reopened the app for a full three hours just to finish a portrait that I just couldnt'w alk away from. The difference here is that Artrage, to date, is the most TRUE TO LIFE painting application on the market. It has SO much potential. I have confidence that this team will get on top of the crashing issue...already seeing improvements in the update.

To me the app runs very much so like the desktop. I also like exploring new apps without much direction (understanding, of course, that THAT is just a part of MY process...i don't like instructions) But I think if you know the basic functions of the desktop version, you should be okay with the iPad version.

Anyway, I say bear with the App. Especially if you really enjoy using natural media. I also like that the artrage guys keep tabs on what we're saying and thinking. Always a plus in my book. So keep on keepin' on! :-)

Helene
10-15-2010, 06:58 AM
I have to say that I am happy that there have been updates that have improved the stability. I still get crashes, but they are less frequent. I am backing up more now (this is a good habit, but not necessary in Brushes which has never crashed on me). I'm still looking forward to the ipad manual and a eye dropper tool, but there has been a lot of progress, and there has always been great potential with this app. I'm grateful that there is a real attempt to address the problems with this great app.

AndyRage
10-15-2010, 11:37 AM
There will be another update soon. We've isolated a few more areas where we can improve our memory handling and stability.

We're committed to improving the iPad version, along with the desktop version of ArtRage.

suziQ54241
10-15-2010, 12:40 PM
And Andy I know your commitment over the years I've enjoyed all your software. Kudos and keep up the great, great work.

Judith Tramayne
10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
OK, I couldn't get the hang of any other mobile art device. Too many different places you had to go to to paint with color, change brushes and the work flow was continually being interrupted.

What's great about Artrage is the tools, presets, color, etc. are all on the app when you open it.

How hard is it to experiment? If you are having trouble with the app in iPad, then I suggest you go look at my 2.5 or 3.0 videos on Youtube.

Not every tutorial applies but most do.

Judith

P.S. To those of you "crabbing" about Artrage, why don't you try and program a better one. In my opinion, it can't be done!

Helene
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I hope to try the beta because I can't even open a new painting without crashing. At least I'm not losing any work;))

MattRage
10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Until the update is available, if you're experiencing crashes please make sure to reboot your iPad. We've been working with some users on this and the best way to do it appears to be to follow these steps:

1. Press an hold the Home and Power buttons on the iPad.

2. When the slider appears asking if you want to power down, ignore it and keep holding those two buttons. Shortly after, the iPad should power itself down.

3. Reboot by pressing and holding on the Power button until the device starts.

This cleans out the iPad's memory and allows a clean slate for working. If you have been using lots of other apps since the last reboot, or experienced crashes in ArtRage, you should find that the reboot provides a drastic improvement in stability and some improvement in speed as well.

flick
10-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks so much for responding to my initial art rage! I'm really I
enjoying the beta version of of your app now and am really impressed with your prompt response!

MattRage
10-28-2010, 03:57 AM
1.0.3 has been submitted for approval and we hope it will be available for everyone to download soon. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback as we went through the development process!