PDA

View Full Version : File Resolution to Hard Copy

jblaven
10-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

I bought Artrage last year, and now use it with the iPad. Man this is fun!

My mother is the true artist. I took her to lunch and showed her. Now at 5pm, we are getting her an iPad and Artrage :D.

I should work for Apple.:rolleyes:

jblaven
10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Guess, I should have asked my question....
:p

How good is the resolution when it comes ton printing your artwork from the iPad?

Thanks,

Joe

suziQ54241
10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Joe, I have printed many of my paintings and they are great, I use an Epson large format an have no problem, 4 x 6 up to 11 x 14. Any bigger than that you should look into increasing file size with software. AND they look fabulous. I have been selling them.

smoque
12-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally I thought I was just going to do rough work on the ipad, then transfer it to my desktop for fine tuning.
I transferred and opened it up, and couldn't believe the detail.
I was expecting mush, but now feel confidant in being able to do as much on my ipad as I do on desktop

DaveRage
12-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Just for clarification for anyone who's wondering what sizes of files they can work with on the iPad: As the iPad is somewhat more limited than a desktop system in terms of RAM, the maximum resolution on the iPad is 1440 x 1440 pixels. You can specify the dimensions of your painting when creating it by tapping on the existing size e.g. 1024 x 768 and entering new values.

XBLee
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe you can help me as I'm not very smart (self handicapping is my main means coping mechanism). How does one equate resolution to physical dimensions of a print?

MattRage
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
That's a tricky question, and one that we hear quite a lot because there's a piece of vital information missing from the equation here...

Digital images are made up of pixels, so a stored image is measured by how many pixels it contains across and down, eg. 1000 x 1000 pixels. This doesn't actually have any meaning in the real world, because pixels don't have a 'size'.

When a Printer prints an image, it needs to look at the pixels and work out how many of them fit in to a given space on the page. Generally, this is done by deciding how many pixels to fit in to an inch of space on the paper (the 'dots per inch' (dpi) or 'pixels per inch' (ppi) value).

So if you have 1000 x 1000 pixels in an image, and you (or your printer) choose to print at '100dpi' your image will be 10 inches square (100 pixels per inch, 1000 pixels to print).

It's not ArtRage that decides how big your image will be, but the printer you send it to. The iPad version of ArtRage uses Apple's standard print interface. That will either allow you to choose manually what dpi to use, or the system will choose for you. Desktop ArtRage lets you select a DPI value (the resize panel in Edit lets you do this if you switch to Print Resolution), and the application asks the printer to match that.

Hope that helps clear things up, print resolution can be a hard one to understand!