PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Stories

Jules
08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I know its a little early for halloween, but the weather in the UK is all rain rain rain and storms so it got me in the mood to do this :D

This is a sketch I did from scratch on Artrage only, out of my head no references, which is a hard task for me as I find it very hard to draw out of my imagination. I did have some sound effects running in the background to create the mood for me but that is all.

I used the sounds from this site running in the background to get me in a spooky mood hehe.

www.gothicgallery.com (http://gothicgallery.com)(this site is nothing to do with me)

barnburner
08-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Must be something in the air... I too was thinking about painting something on the halloween/scary theme..

Great job Jules... I can almost feel that cold chilling wind blowing thru the house as the lightning crashes outside....:eek::eek:

Jules
08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I think there must be barnburner hehe...well go for it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! ;)

Jules
08-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok this could be an illustration for a childrens book, so I added some words :D

Sketchism71
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Jules this is wonderful. Scenarios from only the mind are certainly a challenge (at least for me). You certainly have captured the Halloween feel in this illustration. It gets me excited for Fall / Halloween (my favorite time of year)!:D:):)

Jules
08-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Jules this is wonderful. Scenarios from only the mind are certainly a challenge (at least for me). You certainly have captured the Halloween feel in this illustration. It gets me excited for Fall / Halloween (my favorite time of year)!:D:):)

HI Sketchism, I like your avatar, did you paint it?

They are very challenging, how I think is (this may help), it doesn't matter if the subject matter isn't anatomically accurate, the most important things are that the shadows, shading, highlights and lighting are correct, also add as much detail as you can. ;) I love Halloween too :D

mannafig
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Jules this is great:):)
I know only to well how you feel about our lovely weather:D:):)

Alexandra
08-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Love it Jules! You are making me go into a spooky fall halloweenish mood.

Jules
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks folks...hope im not sending the shivers too early, its still warm out there hehe

Lee
08-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Dear Jules, what a wonderful illustration and story! very scary but cute, and, a cool fall thought for todays 90 degree temp's,,,, that one little kitty looks like Weembaman's Puddy, now, have to check on the Weem,,, terrific picture!!!:)

Mairzie Dotes
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Jules,
(shutter!), call me silly but I like to get scared because it keeps the
blood flowing in all the right places and calming down after the trama
reeeeally feels good! :D Great painting, just love the scary lightning,
wind blown curtains and spooky spooky atmosphere! :)

Jasminek
08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Mmm, getting scared made me think of being around an open fire in very cold weather in the North of Thailand where I grew up. It could get below 0 celcious, and none of the houses had fire places in those days for normlly it never got that cold. When it got so cold that we couldn't sleep, the fire would be built and adults and kids gathered around the fire. We always got cooked (burnt) bananas, sweet potatos and some scary stories. We huddled so close to the fire at times that one of us kids would have hair too close to the fire and a little of hair would make the awful burnt smell, but we never had worse accidents than losing a couple hair. Lucky us. :D

My father wouldn't tolerate us being afraid so we pretended to be brave. Believe me, scary books with right ambiance scare me!

This painting captured the feeling of a yound person so well.:)

Sketchism71
08-16-2010, 06:04 AM
HI Sketchism, I like your avatar, did you paint it?

Hi Jules. Thanks! Yes I painted the image in my avatar a while back. HERE (http://cornettsketches.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-11-04T10%3A09%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7) is a link to the larger version of it if you would like to check it out. Thanks for asking about it and again, fantastic job on this spooky painting!

Jules
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Dear Jules, what a wonderful illustration and story! very scary but cute, and, a cool fall thought for todays 90 degree temp's,,,, that one little kitty looks like Weembaman's Puddy, now, have to check on the Weem,,, terrific picture!!!:)
Dear Lee, thank you!

Jules
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Jules,
(shutter!), call me silly but I like to get scared because it keeps the
blood flowing in all the right places and calming down after the trama
reeeeally feels good! :D Great painting, just love the scary lightning,
wind blown curtains and spooky spooky atmosphere! :)
LOL!! thanks hun

Mmm, getting scared made me think of being around an open fire in very cold weather in the North of Thailand where I grew up. It could get below 0 celcious, and none of the houses had fire places in those days for normlly it never got that cold. When it got so cold that we couldn't sleep, the fire would be built and adults and kids gathered around the fire. We always got cooked (burnt) bananas, sweet potatos and some scary stories. We huddled so close to the fire at times that one of us kids would have hair too close to the fire and a little of hair would make the awful burnt smell, but we never had worse accidents than losing a couple hair. Lucky us. :D

My father wouldn't tolerate us being afraid so we pretended to be brave. Believe me, scary books with right ambiance scare me!

This painting captured the feeling of a yound person so well.:)
Aww what a lovely story Jas, thanks for sharing, funny about the burnt hair :eek::D

Hi Jules. Thanks! Yes I painted the image in my avatar a while back. HERE (http://cornettsketches.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-11-04T10%3A09%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7) is a link to the larger version of it if you would like to check it out. Thanks for asking about it and again, fantastic job on this spooky painting!
Cheers Sketchism Ill take a look thanks ;) great blog.

waheednasir
08-18-2010, 05:37 AM
youve achieved the mood well, even with these vibrant colors...:). good job jules.