PDA

View Full Version : Mommy, Aunt BB is taking our picture again!

Jasminek
08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi,

This is my latest admiration for a mother’s love.

There are a few places in Asia where monkeys live wild but close to people, like living on a shrine’s ground. The shrines or temples are sacred places and protect life from harm. Ones can see many things such as dogs, cats, fish, turtles and monkeys in a shrine’s area in India, Loas, Thailand, Indonesia.

There is a place called Lopburi where a bunch of monkeys live on the town’s shrine for centuries. This town is only 2 hours drive north of Bangkok. A story told that a group of monkeys would ride the train (on the roof) towards north and came back a few days later, carrying their wounded, sometimes they were back with glee and got very rowdy. Finally, a group of reporters followed them. It turned out that those monkeys from Lopburi got off at a wooded area in the Northern part of Thailand. Some reporters managed to catch up with them and took some pictures. They got off to fight with another group of monkeys for a few days and rode the train back.:D:D

I can’t confirm that the monkeys still do that. In 2006, we took a couple of grand-kids to Thailand and to that town. Some people told me the same story but people don’t notice that they still go up to fight. But they confirmed that the monkeys do still ride trains. :)

In this painting, I tried to capture the expression of a proud mother and the baby who seems to complain something to his mother. Reference picture is used. The eyeball stickers are used.

Any comments and advice is welcome.

barnburner
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Absolutely delightful painting Jasmine, enhanced by the great background story you have provided.
Well done!:)

eighty+
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I like that Jas and very true :D

pat1940
08-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Jasmine wonderful story and painting, my husband and I watch a lot of travel channels and seen these monkeys and heard the story, so interesting, thanks for sharing, by the way Jasmine, what is the eyeball sticker and where can I download it, I have never come across that one;);):):):)

Jasminek
08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks to all of you for kind, encouraging comments.

Pat, the eyeballs, I got the stickers from ArtSupplies. Love those things.

Happy paintings to everyone of you. Hubby and I will be out of town for a couple of days, see you all when we get back.:)

Sketchism71
08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Fascinating story. You certainly captured a sense of pride in the Mothers expression. Well done!

Mairzie Dotes
08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Jasminek,
Your story about the Indonesian monkeys reminds me of the human
race in so many ways, a good fight now and then and getting into
objects that move and riding around in them and ... if it weren't for
protective and caring mothers we might have done ourselves in long
ago. :D Interesting story and charming painting. :)

Jasminek
08-16-2010, 12:12 AM
HI Mairzie, these monkeys seem to look alike in many countries I mentioned. And they sound the same too. The story about getting on the train was in Thailand. In India, I was told that they love jumping on ox carts and cars too, so, I think you are right that like moving things.

My father who was a patrol policeman and spent a lot of times patrolling between Thailand and Burma, told me once that monkeys love copying actions of humen. They would steal things like straight razor (only straight razors were used for shaving in those days) and one of the monkeys around his camp damaged himself badly from the razor he stole.

Mairzie,, I have enjoyed your paintings and comments and I thank you again. Happy painting.:)

Caesar
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Ah, ah! Finely painted scene! Interesting story thereabout too!

Linn
08-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Very nice work on this!

Jasminek
08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you Linn but I have a long way to paint animals with fur. I like yours better.:)

Jasminek
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Caesar, thanks a lot for your kind words. I have a habit trying to connect what we see with certain things, so a story or 2 does that to me. I am glad that you find that connection too.:)