PDA

View Full Version : In the Zone

barnburner
08-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Then, of course, there is the angler that is so locked into his fishing, that he doesn't even notice it's raining, and doesn't realize that even the birds are heading for dry ground...... :)

(How do I know of this, you say?....Well...I have been he a time or three.....)

pat1940
08-12-2010, 06:50 PM
very good Barnburner, you made that rain look fantastic:);)

S J Patterson
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Beautifully & Elegantly done.
I love the mood of this piece. It reminds me of fishing the Cumbrian lakes with my father when I was a child.
I always loved the subduing power of the rain.

Patt.

Mairzie Dotes
08-12-2010, 09:06 PM
barnburner,
Would you believe that it has been raining here most of the day
so far and if I look out of my window, the scene ... grey, overcast
and wet, appears just like "In the Zone." Evocative, intense and
well painted. You have artfully created the poignant mood that
you have so aptly described ... a mood that many can identify
with but also ...

The sun will come out, tomorrow
Bet your bottom that tomrrow, there'll be sun
Just thinking about, tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow,
'Til there's none

When I'm stuck with the day, that's grey and lonely,
I just stick out my chin and grin and say,

Ohhhhhhh, The sun will come out, tomorrow
So you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow,
Come what may,
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I luv ya, tomorrow
You're always a day away :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Juz
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
... and then all you catch is a cold ? ;);)

Fantastic painting though :):)

barnburner
08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Pat - Thank you. The rain took a lot of time. Started out with way too much. I used dark rain on one layer, and white rain on the other. Then I used the eraser with very low pressure and a fair width, to thin down both layers until I got the look I felt was realistic.
:)

S.J. - Many thanks. I became captivated by the rain after serving thru the Monsoon season in Vietnam,while in the Marines. While it was often (mostly) miserable - there was something about it that I really, really missed when the season was over.
Fishing in a steady rain is still my favorite time to go.

M.D. - Thank you for your kind comments, and your eloquent note of cheer. Hopefully you will have sunshine and breezes tomorrow.

Juzz - Wish I had a dollar for every time I came home catching nothing but a cold! :D
Thank you very much for your appreciation of my
efforts. :)

coops
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Such a wonderfully mysterious painting Barnburner and what stories could be told to it. Well done:)

Alexandra
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I love it Mike! Well done!:):):):):)

Bobbyray
08-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Mike

I see how the big one got away now. The rain did it.:confused: lol Been there too. All I ever catch are sharks, rain or not. When they are bigger than my 12' dingy.....I let them go free...:eek:...happily. doh. lol

Jasminek
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
You have got to catch something. I have been known to fish in a rain, everybody caught fish, not me, just had fun.:D

Nice rain in the painting Barn.:)

barnburner
08-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Coops - I appreciate your comments very much.
Thank you. :)

Sandra - Thank you so much. :)

Bobbyray - Thanks. I appreciate it. I don't blame you for letting those sharks go. My brother-in-law and I once caught a duck by mistake. We managed to get him into the boat seeking to get the hook out of his web on his foot. Unfortunately, he did not see the intended goodwill, and was understandably ticked off at us, and that irate duck almost beat us both to death before we finally managed to get him loose! :D

Jasmine - thank you so much. I appreciate your kind comments. :)

Sketchism71
08-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Ah yes... I too have been in the zone when fishing. Time goes by much quicker, meals are skipped, sunscreen forgotten, dehydration sets in and the skies turn angry quickly and without notice. All focus is on the line in the water and the strike that can occur at any moment.

This is a perfect depiction of "the zone". Great mood! Great painting!:)

mannafig
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Beautiful work dear Barn:):)

Lima
08-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Barn, you have that artistic ability to transform an image so large in a deep thought. Brilliant.:eek:

barnburner
08-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Sketch - Thank you very much. I had to laugh at your description of being in "the zone", as it reminded me of the times I took sunscreen, and insect repellent with me, and simply forgot to use them both, because I was totally focused on catching a fish... :) :)

Manna - Thank you so much. I appreciate it very much. :)

Oriane - I'm deeply appreciative, and humbled by your kind comments. Thank you. :)

AT-TA
08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
ANd i had never fished in my life and never will untill terribly hungry and the fridge get hopelesly empty... but i know the passion what it can do to one, when doing something what is plausible to us... painting for eg...

Beautiful Barney, especially the palette is right...and it is usually so many things one can see when raining... for eg... the drops dancing on the leaves and sliding down the stems... birds talking to each other... or a brook happy getting the fresh water.... do you think that a brook gets thirsty... i think so... when not having enough of a fresh water.... yeah... it is me here just thinking loudly.... watching this pic...:)

barnburner
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
ANd i had never fished in my life and never will untill terribly hungry and the fridge get hopelesly empty... but i know the passion what it can do to one, when doing something what is plausible to us... painting for eg...

Beautiful Barney, especially the palette is right...and it is usually so many things one can see when raining... for eg... the drops dancing on the leaves and sliding down the stems... birds talking to each other... or a brook happy getting the fresh water.... do you think that a brook gets thirsty... i think so... when not having enough of a fresh water.... yeah... it is me here just thinking loudly.... watching this pic...:)

Thank you very much AT... Much appreciated.
Yes indeed, a brook gets thirsty...that's what causes the fresh water to rush to it....or, at least I think so.. :)
I always liked watching the rain drops as they traveled down the window pane...the sound of the rain drops on a tin roof...
Mostly the first memory of rain that flashes to my mind, is one early spring day at Table Rock Lake in Missouri, I had parked my boat trailer with the boat on it, with the nose down, and sure enough, it rained buckets all night, filling the boat with water. So, with rain gear on, we proceeded to bail water...well, we were working so hard that it was getting hot, so - I flipped back the head covering of the rain gear, and just put a baseball cap on my head. Eventually the cap became soaked, so i pulled it off, and flipped the rain gear covering back up over my head.............................................. .......................................
Yep - it had become filled with COLD rain water, which now went splashing down my back! LOL...LOL.... I still get chills thinking about it.. :D

Caesar
08-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I like extreme weather conditions painted. This piece was not easy since the tones are so close ....

barnburner
08-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I like extreme weather conditions painted. This piece was not easy since the tones are so close ....

LOL..how right you are...There were times when I wanted to rip my eyeballs out of my head! :)
Thank you Caesar. Much appreciated. :)