PDA

View Full Version : Oriental manners

Caesar
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I recently re-discovered the Ukiyo-e masterpieces (japanese drawings, paintings and prints from 1750 to 1850) through an illustrated book of Hokusai I bought.
A sort of tribute is due after looking at such marvels. I'd like also to see what can be learned from those masterpieces, especially from the graphical standpoint and textures, but not only.
This was a pretty quick drawing from myb imagination I then colored.
Here are both: colored and drawing versions ...

eighty+
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
yep good drawing and colour is it water colour??? :D

Caesar
08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Right! Watercolors. Thanks!

Alexandra
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Excellent work Cesare. I love oriental art and the beautiful watercolors and strokes that are used.

coops
08-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Love it Love it Love it but then Cesare you know I love anything oriental. Well done:)

mannafig
08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Simply beautiful Cesare:):)

waheednasir
08-12-2010, 05:03 AM
well done mate, nice lines and a nice sketchy quality...:).

Caesar
08-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Thank You, dear Sandra! Sketching and watercoloring are so efficient and quick to fix an image! Since I'm no more young and I don't expect to live for a millennium, like a tree, I appreciate very much such an advantage.

I know, dear Katie, and I appeciated all Your oriental works in the past. In a way You've got a special oriental attitude and poetry in Your descriptive strokes when dealing with flowers and recent magical painting compositions. For me it's probably rather a quest for harmonies and right measures and proportions as well as synthetic expressivity, when coming at figure paintings, all features our classical artistic past probably share, to some extent, with the japanese approach. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Amanda. My idea was to sketch a Japanese lady, but I rather got a Chinese one I guess ... :p

Dear Waheed, I'm absolutely honoured by the positive judgement of a great professional artist like You! Thank You!

pat1940
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Caesar, this is just beautiful, what talent you have and I too love orientle art;):):):)

Juz
08-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Stunning dear Caesar, I really love them both and either is gorgeous as a finished work :):)

Lee
08-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Dear Caesar, your finished paintings are always beautiful, but, it is your sketches that are so enjoyable and show your free thought!:)

Caesar
08-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Thank You, dear Pat! Great inspiration from classical oriental art, especially for me who was born and raised drawing, thus with a sort o graphically prone mind too ...

Dear Juz, thank You very much! I guess I should either go with such spontaneous works when I'm in imaginative mode (not using any reference) and have limted time or go with some fully planned and tested procedure I never really set up, with a considerable ampunt of time of patience (I don't feel I have).
In these days I'm having some tool problem though. My older tablet and computer (I'm using in this period) to follow my hands drawn curves (they tend to stick to a strighter line). I just hope I didn't set any preference or else wrong inadvertently ....

You're right, dear Lee. This is the most cost-effective way to express myself and the most satisfying when having many inspirations and little time.

misterpaint
08-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Molto bello Caesar! č entrato ufficialmente tra i miei preferiti della tua galleria ^_^

Very nice Caesar! is now officially one of my favorites of your gallery ^ _ ^

Sketchism71
08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Wonderful, delicate, and beautifully done Caeser!

Caesar
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Ti ringrazio molto per il giudizio positivo che mi fa apprezzare anche di pių questo interludio orientale, caro Stefano!

I thank You very much for our positive evaluation that makes me appreciate even more this oriental interlude, dear Stefano!

Thank You, dear Sketch! Those adjectives fit perfectly the mood I had during such a relaxing excercise ...

Selby
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Ave Caesar- beautiful pin up lady:D

Caesar
08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Selby! Nice to see You back ... and with such a magnificent baby! It lokks like that You were engaged with the most wonderful type of masterpieces we may think of .... Thank You!

Juz
08-14-2010, 06:48 AM
In these days I'm having some tool problem though. My older tablet and computer (I'm using in this period) to follow my hands drawn curves (they tend to stick to a strighter line). I just hope I didn't set any preference or else wrong inadvertently ....

Hmmm this is one of those issues that might be hard to track... for me it could be as simple as not having my morning coffee ;);)

If it is an artrage issue, I would suspect that it lies in the smoothing setting on the drawing tool... Having really high smoothing values on ink or pencil can cause the line to 'snap' away from where you place it. Try a lower smooth value and see if that helps :):)

Caesar
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Don't worry, dear Juz! Thanks a lot!
Maybe it's rather a problem of the old computer I often still use and of the old tablet I tend to take with me, or of the old tablet surface or, less probably, the pen tip. Not a smoothing problem I can adjust (a feature available only on the precise setting for the pencil, where the problem seems to appear).
Anyway it's curious I noticed it on the pencil only so far, but I should test it more extensively before reporting ...