PDA

View Full Version : Igpay Atinlay

steverino365
08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Just having fun with the pencil.:D The AR3 pencil combined with the Cintiq 12XW is the nuts!!!!!!.

Juz
08-04-2010, 12:35 AM
LOL awesome interpretation of pig latin :D This is great, the character is simply delightful, would love to see you take him through to a full colour :):)

Alexandra
08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Genius!:):):):):)

Jasminek
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
The pencil and shading turned:) out nicely done here.

steverino365
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the positive comments:D. Juz, I will try to work color into this piece to make it more interesting. Maybe the pre-shading will help me ease into the color. Any suggestions about color are appreciated.

Lee
08-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Dear Steverino, Beautiful sketch!! sort of and Alice-in-wonderland character, well done!!!:)

Mairzie Dotes
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM
steverino365,
Great looking imaginary sketch and I tend to agree with Lee and
the similarity to one of the Alice in Wonderland characters.
Now I know who grew those funny mushrooms in the story. ;) :D :)

Juz
08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Steverino
First you'll need to determine your media based on what sort of look you want for the piece some suggestions would be:-
-felt pen (marker) or airbrush (for a comic style work)
-colour pencil, chalk, crayon, watercolour (illustration for childrens books)
-paint (for a cell animation type look).
You might like to try a version of each of these to see what agrees with you most:)
As you get more comfortable with the media you can mix and match too.

If you're just looking for an easy medium to start with, try the felt pen preset "blending markers".... it gives a nice cartoon look and is a nice forgiving medium to start with. You can have them appear as rough or blended as you like. If you decide to try it I recommend also using the Tria Marker colour swatches found in this thread:-
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26365

Setting up:
The ideal way to work would be to create a new empty layer, drag it underneath your lineart layer and use the lock icon on the line art layer (this will keep your lineart preserved). Then add colour to the layer under the line art. (see attached image... click for larger version)
Also setup your eyedropper settings as in the attached image.... you will then be able to use the alt/option key to select colour from the piece as you work.
Optional...When you're just starting with colour the HS/L colour picker is a good one to set up with.

Adding Colour:
You should always think of colour in terms of in conjunction with light so you want to keep your light source in mind as you work. (You've already started to establish this in the lineart.)
Start by painting the whole piece with diffuse colour. Diffuse colour is what the colour would be if there is no highlights or shadows.
After establishing the diffuse colour you then add shadows, then highlights. Colours become lighter and more saturated the more they are facing a light source and become less saturated and darker the more they curve away from a light source.
As you work you can alt/option click to pick up colours from the image and work with those.

I would also suggest you take a look at the following tutorial which uses pretty much the same process of setting up a lineart layer and adding colour to a layer underneath, but uses paint:-
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/artrage_cartoon_web.html

For really advanced colour understanding the following site is a good one to bookmark for later on www.huevaluechroma.com (http://www.huevaluechroma.com) (sorry its not a link ...when artrage is the referrer it fails... so you'll have to copy and paste that one into your browser)

Hope this helps :):)

steverino365
08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
That is a great information to help me get started with color. Up to this point I have been just hit and miss with color. This will open a new dimension for me. Thanks Again!!!

steverino365
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Juz,

I appreciate the help - here is a colored version of Igpay.
It was a joy to paint using your instructions.

The colored version is attached for your critique - let me know how I did.

Thanks again,
Steve

Juz
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow great stuff Steverino, a fabulous first exploration into colours. And you did the most important thing of all which was have fun doing it. I adore the texture and colour nuance you've got going on in that grass, it works so well. :):)
How do you like the markers ?

Caesar
08-13-2010, 05:50 AM
An original, very professional and masterful illustration! Congratulations!