PDA

View Full Version : Maureen's Cave

barnburner
08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
With this amount of darkness, I hope this shows up ok on here. It shows ok on my desktop and my laptop, so hopefully it will be ok.

As I recall, the story goes thus....
In the early 1800s, an Irish lass we shall call Maureen,being of the Irish Royal bloodline and fearing for her life, fled from Ireland, . She stowed away on a ship in the harbor, not knowing that it was a pirate ship. Two days underway, she was discovered.
As luck would have it, she and the pirate captain fell for each other, to the point that when they arrived on American shores, he left the sea forever, and took her with him.
From town to town they searched for a home, but always her enemies followed, determined to kill her.
Finally, he came to Clay County, Arkansas, and bought a farm far from the nearest town. Realizing that her enemies would not easily give up, he searched for, and found, a hideaway for Maureen. It was a cave in the remote section of their property, that could not be seen until one was right on top of it.
The ex-pirate captain stocked it full of provisions, and told her that she would have to live there for a year. He would stay with her whenever he was not working in the fields. After a year, they could chance her living in the house with him, for by then, her enemies would probably have left America.
Unfortunately, after only a few months, they found the house, broke in, and the ex-pirate managed to kill three of them before he was overpowered and killed himself. The killers searched high and low, but were never able to find Maureen.
At this point, the facts are sketchy...
Most say that realizing he must have been killed, Maureen attempted to cross the Mississippi in a canoe, trying to reach Tennessee. Unfortunately, she made her attempt at the same time the New Madrid earthquake occurred, and they say - she must have drowned.
However, as the old timers say, a few whispers came around that she never gave up on the idea that her lover would return to her. The story goes that she never left the cave except at night, when she foraged for food. Some say she spent the remainder of her life in her secret cave, secure in her faith that the ex-pirate captain would return to her.
Most of the folks in the area today scoff at that notion, reminding everyone --
"it's just a legend".
:confused:

Alexandra
08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh Mike, this is totally cool! Great painting and story as well.:eek:

Lima
08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Nice and cool. Thanks Barn.

goldenrosa
08-04-2010, 01:15 AM
it seem there was many bone in your cave, haha... exciting thinking...
:D:D:D ... good job :)

carlcath
08-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Great story to go with a nice piece of work. What a great idea, take a legend and draw a picture from the image it makes in your mind.

barnburner
08-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Sandy - Thank you Ma'm...:) I'm so glad you liked them.:)

Oriane - I appreciate your kind comments. Thank you. :)

Goldenrosa - Thank you very much. I appreciate it. :)

Juz
08-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Fantastic, as the viewer I feel like i'm a troglodyte looking out at the world. :):)
The legend was a wonderful read, thanks for sharing that

barnburner
08-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Great story to go with a nice piece of work. What a great idea, take a legend and draw a picture from the image it makes in your mind.

Thank you very much. I'm truly glad you liked it. :)

barnburner
08-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Fantastic, as the viewer I feel like i'm a troglodyte looking out at the world. :):)
The legend was a wonderful read, thanks for sharing that

That painting of looking from the inside out, was harder to do that I expected. It's kind of the reverse of painting snow - instead of a whiteout glare, you get a blackout glare, which hides flaws. I spent most of the day trying different lighting and correcting stuff.
Thank you very much for your kind comments. :)

pat1940
08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Barnburner, you know I commented on this yesterday and something weird happened, after I clicked on submit reply, it came up that I was in the wrong forum so here goes again lol....Barnburner I love this one, it is my favorite, you made me feel like I was in the cave looking out, although I dont think the bones were there yesterday, so it is scary and fun also today
just love it, great job:):):);););)

barnburner
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Barnburner, you know I commented on this yesterday and something weird happened, after I clicked on submit reply, it came up that I was in the wrong forum so here goes again lol....Barnburner I love this one, it is my favorite, you made me feel like I was in the cave looking out, although I dont think the bones were there yesterday, so it is scary and fun also today
just love it, great job:):):);););)

Thank you so much Pat.
I very much appreciate it.:):):)

coops
08-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Well done Barnburner, firstly for the great painting and secondly for the captivating story that went with it.:)

Jasminek
08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
This is the best view anyone could see when stuck in a cave. Well done.:)

barnburner
08-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Well done Barnburner, firstly for the great painting and secondly for the captivating story that went with it.:)

Coops, Thank you so much. I'm happy that you enjoyed
them both. :)

barnburner
08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
This is the best view anyone could see when stuck in a cave. Well done.:)

I certainly appreciate that Jasmine - Thank you! :)

Mairzie Dotes
08-06-2010, 02:21 AM
barnburner,
I was really pulled into the meaning of this melancoly but beautiful
painting even moreso in personalizing it with a most touching tale of
love. So sad that Maureen perished in the cave as a recluse while
waiting for the man she dearly loved but isn't that what the poets
of the ages write about when they refer to kindred hearts once
interconnected are then forever devoted. True love, as they say
can be much more powerful than any imagined force. A most stirring
and well presented piece and story. :)

barnburner
08-06-2010, 03:12 AM
barnburner,
I was really pulled into the meaning of this melancoly but beautiful
painting even moreso in personalizing it with a most touching tale of
love. So sad that Maureen perished in the cave as a recluse while
waiting for the man she dearly loved but isn't that what the poets
of the ages write about when they refer to kindred hearts once
interconnected are then forever devoted. True love, as they say
can be much more powerful than any imagined force. A most stirring
and well presented piece and story. :)

Beautifully stated, as always.
Thank you so much. :):)

pat1940
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Barnburner, just had to share this with you, was looking thru my old postcard album and came across this one, right away I thought of Maurines Cave, do you think she may be Maurine....lol

barnburner
08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Barnburner, just had to share this with you, was looking thru my old postcard album and came across this one, right away I thought of Maurines Cave, do you think she may be Maurine....lol

That's her!!!! Red hair just like the story goes....
That is so great...
Thanks Pat!! :):)