PDA

View Full Version : Saturated Beauty

Juz
08-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Just a portrait... Reposted after some great advice on the eye from Al Kratzer (thanks Big Al :D)

alkratzer
08-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Beautiful! Great job of blending and lovely colors! Al

ARTGEEK
08-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Wow this is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! Amazing. I love the pose, her attitude. I wish I could paint people half this well. If you don't mind me asking, what is your blending technique? Once again beautiful. One of my favorite paintings!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Mairzie Dotes
08-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Juz,
An excellently painted portrait that is aptly titled. The palette
is lush, exuberant and the artistry, expressive and most engaging.
Very fetching art work ... it glows! :)

Juz
08-03-2010, 06:19 AM
@ Al, thanks for your kind comments (and for the advice in the pm), very appreciated.

@Maizie, its always a joy to receive a comment from you... I'd swear you can paint with the written word ... Are you an author or work with words ?

@ ArtGeek, more than happy to share anything I learn playing with artrage.... (Warning: I'm a designer by trade and by no means a painter, this is my second "oil" painting real or digital, and my blending method is just the way I've found works best for me... the paintbrush sizes I refer to were referenced from a book... I measured up against the artrage ruler to make them as true to the real life sizes as possible)

With blending I tend to build up my painting using a dirty brush i've attached an image with the settings.... I set up a wacom button with the clean brush shortcut (if i'm hammering this button too often as I work then i'll switch to autoclean for a bit just to lay the colour in and then back to the dirty brush 'autoclean off').

I lay in the strokes using a flip-flop or criss-cross technique (see attached... its exaggerated to demonstrate). I lay in large areas of flat colour using a big square brush (around 60% is about the same size as a number #10 real oil brush if you work in print rez.... these sizes don't work if you increase resolution by working with a massive pixel count while still at 72dpi)

I use this flip flop stroke to start the blending between two areas of colour.... you'll notice in the image that between the yellow and the burnt umber as they start to mix that there are a lot of nuances in the shades of the inbetween colour from the brush being dirty.... I use the eyedropper tool (also set up on my wacom, alt/option on the keyboard) to pick up colours from the mix and basically go again.

If i were blending toward the burnt umber i'd pick up the darker tones within the inbetween strokes and if i'm blending toward the yellow i'd pick up the light tones in the previously blended strokes.

I get a chunky blended result and basically repeat this process with a brush sized 30% (number #06 real oil brush) and then again with a brush sized at 15% (number #02 real oil brush)

I've found that if your brush didn't get dirty enough from a first go that if you undo the stroke and go again you can build dirtyness accumulatively as the undo doesn't affect the paint already on the brush. Also if you scrub with a clean 'autoclean on' brush it will start to dirty up.

I use a pointy (round) brush to get into nooks and crannies and for defining tighter areas like edges hairs etc. This is also the brush I lean on for finer detail going as low as 1% size where needed.

Lastly if absolutely needed I may come in with the knife for touchup if an area hasn't quite blended nicely (i don't like this tool as a rule and find it difficult to control so I use it sparingly and only towards the end of the work). More often than not i find it seems to scrape paint off the surface rather than push it around. It also has a tendency to overblend and make the paint look flatter (far less variation, which to me is less interesting to the eye). I've used it heavily in the backgound, you can see what i mean. So wherever possible i'm more likely to go back in with a dirty or clean brush. If I use the knife I just go with the flat one only and use the default AR setting of 50% pressure. I'm careful to use this tool in the criss-cross direction too.

Some areas might need a touch of glazing eg/ shadowing under the finer hair strands. To do this I create a layer above. I use the same brushes but crank both the loading and the thinners to 100%. I switch the blend mode on the layer to 'colour' mainly as this colourizes without adjusting luminance or flattening the texture of the paint. I merge this down immediately so that it becomes part of the paint (its ideal to be on one layer for oils)... sometimes (rarely) I use other blend modes if they are giving a better result (multiply and soft-light in particular)

Anyway hope this is helpful to you... sorry its a bit wordy... feel free to ask any followup questions you might have... and thank you very much for your glowing comments :):)

coops
08-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Wow what a fabulous painting Juz, great work:)

hanzz
08-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Whoa ! :eek::eek: that is really a great one ! love the paintstrokes.:cool::cool:

Jasminek
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Juz, I love this look. Plus the tutorials. Very nice and kind of you.:)

AT-TA
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
AS everybody says: beautiful palette, work and so kind from you to share you expertise...thank you so much..:)

Alexandra
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
EXCELLENT JUZ!!!!!!
I love this portrait-wonderful job!

pat1940
08-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Juz, such a beautiful portrait, and love the attitude, and very nice of you to give all that advise and knowledge, wonderful job:):):);););)

ScottF
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Simply wonderful, Juz!

Lima
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Beautiful image. She has the arrogance in the eyes of a beautiful woman who knows she's gorgeous. All this thanks to the perfect technique of Juz.

Great technique, thank you Juz.

barnburner
08-04-2010, 01:28 AM
Just a wonderful portrait! :)

goldenrosa
08-04-2010, 03:04 AM
perfect work... very very nice at strokes and color too... well, im late that i have no word to explain it, very nice...
very particular and useful tips :D

ARTGEEK
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Juz, thank you for the detailed description of your technique. I greatly appreciate it:D Once again, An amazing painting:)

Juz
08-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Dear Coops, Hanzz, Jasminek, AT-TA, Sandy, Pat, Scott, Backburner and Goldenrosa thank you so much for taking the time to comment :):)

@Oriane, lol lets hope she enjoys it while she still has youth, thanks for your comment dear Dr :):)

@ArtGeek, you are most welcome... ps. after checking out your occupation, I have to say that is one great handle :D:)

ARTGEEK
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Juz. My wife describes me to her friends as a science/art geek, so I stole the name from her :D

misterpaint
08-10-2010, 08:40 AM
juz! this is incredible!!!! :D BRAVISSIMO!!!

Juz
08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks so much Stefano :):)

Caesar
08-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Just a portrait? This is one of the most outstanding and fine portraits I ever saw in this AR Forum, dear Juz! :eek::cool::):):):):):)
Your ingeniousness and technical ability with this software are as impressive as Your color knowledge and artistic sensitivity!

Juz
08-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Thank you so much dear friend :):)

Sketchism71
08-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Juz! I just realized I never commented on this here, just in the main gallery. This is truly amazing work. Fantastic color and blending. Warm and cool light with vivid imagery. This is so good on so many levels that it makes me want to go back and hit the art books again. Absolutely love this!!!:eek::D:D:D

Judith Tramayne
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Not only did I love your portrait but your explanation of your technique was exceptional! I now know what to do with my express keys on my intuos :)

SCP
08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
WOW JUZ!! Amazing portrait the colours are fantastic!Great work.:):):):):):):)

Juz
08-15-2010, 04:08 AM
@Sketch, sorry I missed your comment in the gallery, I discovered I forgot to check the email me checkbox. Thanks for letting me know and thanks for your great feedback :):)

@Judith, Thanks for your kind comments. I love the express keys, can't wait for my 21UX to arrive so I can double the number I have. Setting up the tool settings and presets panels on them also is a great way to speed up production. :):)

@SCP thanks mate, great to see you back and I hope you have healed ok :):)

TOM!
08-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Beautiful portrait, masterwork!!