PDA

View Full Version : A Bridge to the Unknown

barnburner
07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I found out, it's a lot harder to paint snow, than it is ground. The glare hides stuff, and just when you think it's right - you take another look, and find gremlins..
Well, I've about gone blind working on this, so, it is what it is.. :):)

AR2.5, used all the tools except the brush.

pat1940
07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey, Barnburner, I think that is pretty darn good, snow is very hard to paint, I can see the little bridge and all the snow around it, you could have built a huge snowman up against the sky...lol that way you can separate the sky from the snow:D:D:D

barnburner
07-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey, Barnburner, I think that is pretty darn good, snow is very hard to paint, I can see the little bridge and all the snow around it, you could have built a huge snowman up against the sky...lol that way you can separate the sky from the snow:D:D:D

Yeah, I thought about including some trees, twigs, etc., but, I wanted the feeling of an endless expanse,
and I felt that adding anything else might take away from that. Thanks a lot Pat for your kind comments.
Much appreciated. (Now I got to find a tylenol for my headache.. LOL.)

MagenSparks
07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
You certainly have captured the endless expanse and the snow is good.

Could use some of that chill here... it's too hot. :) ...Just some though... don't want to get too frosty either.

Jasminek
07-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Yikes, Barnb., this snow cooled us down to 99F, thanks.:) What a lonely place, and very well done on painting the snow.;)

barnburner
07-28-2010, 11:42 PM
You certainly have captured the endless expanse and the snow is good.

Could use some of that chill here... it's too hot. :) ...Just some though... don't want to get too frosty either.

I'm with you - not too hot - not too cold! LOL..
Thanks Magen. :)

barnburner
07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Yikes, Barnb., this snow cooled us down to 99F, thanks.:) What a lonely place, and very well done on painting the snow.;)

Well, if we got it below 100, then you are in good shape! :)
Thanks a lot Jasmine. I appreciate it. :)

AT-TA
07-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Barney, this is a pretty picture... well done sky as usually...but no life in sight ...must be somewhere in Greenland....:)

barnburner
07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Barney, this is a pretty picture... well done sky as usually...but no life in sight ...must be somewhere in Greenland....:)

Or, I was thinking, perhaps up around the arctic circle?
Then again, it could be on the southern quadrant of Planet Locksley.... :)
Thanks a lot AT!:)

Sketchism71
07-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Great painting Barnb! I like the cold desolate feeling it gives. Snow can be a little tricky at times. I find it helpful not to think of it as white when I'm painting but more just a reflective color of the sky. Usually lots of light blues or even purples (depending on the sky) only using white or near white for highlights of where light is hitting. Nice job!

Mairzie Dotes
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
barnburner,
What a poignant scene and concept, very creative and mood driven.
Taking that bridge to the other side might be uninviting to some but
since I love snow and you have painted it so well I would not mind
a leisurely walk there, expecially since we've been experiencing one
royal heat wave here. Thought provoking and the artwork is most
attractive. :)

Linn
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Great job on the snow!

coops
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh what a vast open space Barnburner and so very well painted.:)

barnburner
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Sketch - Thank you for your comment, and for sharing your technique on painting show. Very much appreciated!:)

M.D. - I too would be unable to resist the lure of crossing that bridge, no matter what dangers might lie on that side. I've taken some hikes up mountain trails in Rocky Mountain National Park in the winter in places I probably should not have gone, but they remain some of my fondest memories... :)
Thank you so much for your kind comment.:)

Linn - Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Coops - I'm happy that you liked this. Thank you so much. :)

Lima
07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Nice painting Barn.

mikejl
07-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Great job. very expansive and the snow looks great. I found snow is tough than I expected.

justjean
07-30-2010, 05:58 PM
You sure have captured the feeling of cold and emptyness in your great painting , :)

barnburner
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Nice painting Barn.

Thanks a lot Oriane. :)

barnburner
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Great job. very expansive and the snow looks great. I found snow is tough than I expected.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, because of the glare, it's difficult.
I found myself having to keep looking at it from the side, to see what the glare was sometimes hiding.
When you eyes are as old as mine - it gets difficult. :):)

barnburner
07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
You sure have captured the feeling of cold and emptyness in your great painting , :)

Many thanks Jean... I truly appreciate it. :)

Alexandra
07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Excellent, love this Mike!

barnburner
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Excellent, love this Mike!

Thank you very much Sandy. :)

Juz
08-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Wonderful, you've really captured the great white north.:):) With the intense sky and vast expanse of the white snow I feel like i need my sunglasses to avoid snowblindness. ;)