PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Scatterville Cemetary Pond

barnburner
07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, actually that's not the real name of this pond, but, like they used to say on tv - "The names were changed to protect the innocent".. Just so ya'll all know exactly where we are talking about, this pond is located purt near 2 miles north of the Scatterville Cemetary, in Clay County, Arkansas. (The town of Scatterville is long gone, so you have to ask the old timers).
When you get to the old Hollis place, make a right on the 2d dirt road (they are all dirt roads). Go a mile until you get to the road on the left where Old Man
Kitchens got trampled by a run away mule. The pond is a 1/4 mile ahead.
Anyway, legend has it, that back in the1950s, the daughter of a prominent businessman in the nearest town, had returned home from college. Desperate to get relief from the unbearable heat, she went skinny dipping by herself in this remote pond.
As fate would have it, two cousins, 2 boys about 9 years old, decided to go fishing in this same pond on the same day. (You're getting ahead of me....)
As the boys got close to the pond, they saw the young woman in the pond, wearing nothing but a smile. Shocked, they ducked behind the brush so she wouldn't see them. Now, these boys had been told by their folks many times, that you NEVER leave anyone in the water by themselves, because it's an easy way to drown. Well, these boys did the smart thing and stayed until she climbed out of the pond, at which time, she spotted them - screamed, and started throwing rocks at them... At this point, the boys beat a hasty retreat, and went home for supper. (Fried Chicken, Mashed Taters, Gravy, and Corn on the Cob).
Now - whether these boys stayed and watched, as a result of what they had been taught about water safety, or, simply out of boyish curiousity - is still debated at length on the street corners of the local town every Saturday night.
To commemorate this historic occasion, the girls in the graduating high school class each year, go to this pond and go skinny dipping. (The boys are taken on a fishing trip by the Principal - to a DIFFERENT pond.)
As you may have gathered - there is a shortage of entertainment in this part of the country.
Now, as Paul Harvey used to say - "You have the rest of the story".

Painted all with AR 2.5, pencil, crayon, chalk, glitter, tube, brush, knife, eraser, and mouse.

Jasminek
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Barn- This pond looks very deep, but when we were young we didn't think about danger that much. In the heat like we have here today at my house, 105, I bet a few would love to be in this pond which you painted very nicely.:)

I voted that the boys stayed out of GOOD intention.:D

pat1940
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
very nice Barnburner, your paintings are so peaceful looking:):)

MagenSparks
07-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Interesting story and a great painting. I'm particularly enjoying the clouds. They're well done.

barnburner
07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Jasmin - 105? Whew... it's been hot here, but not that hot! Thanks for your kind words on the painting. :)
And..yeah, I'm pretty sure those boys acted only with the best of intentions... I think so anyway.....Well.... :D

Pat - Thank you very much. :)

Magen - Many thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I found that using the eraser at a very light pressure has really helped me make more interesting clouds. :)

AT-TA
07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Barney, this pic radiates piece and calmness... Very nice painting it is... like the colors you use and the sky.. how you've painted it...touched with the eraser as you say... must try that also...Loved the story...you are a good storyteller...:-) and maybe we'll see the both boys and girls skinny dipping together in your next pic... in these times everything is possible...:)

Lee
07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Dear BarnBurner, love the painting and story!!! simply beautiful!!!:)

barnburner
07-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Barney, this pic radiates piece and calmness... Very nice painting it is... like the colors you use and the sky.. how you've painted it...touched with the eraser as you say... must try that also...Loved the story...you are a good storyteller...:-) and maybe we'll see the both boys and girls skinny dipping together in your next pic... in these times everything is possible...:)

Hey - with Art Rage - all things are possible! :D
AT - Thank you very much. I do appreciate it.:)

barnburner
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Dear BarnBurner, love the painting and story!!! simply beautiful!!!:)

Lee - I'm very glad that you liked them. Thank you very much. :)