PDA

View Full Version : Our Brother the Water Buffalo - Watercolour

Jasminek
07-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi,

Another water color painting displaying 2 boys with their water buffalo in a rice paddy.

I have certain affection for water buffalos, could be the time that I spent with my paternal grandfather when little. My father as a border patrol policeman moved us to the Northern border of Thailand far away from the families in those days. It took us over 10 hours to travel the mountains of about 70 kilometers. I was told that when mother and father first moved there, they had to hire elephants and donkies to carry their household goods, in 1952. So in summers, going to visit grandfather was a special treat. My grandfather was a farmer who grew rice and everything else. He owned about 5 buffalo, one elephant which meant in those days, a comfortable man.:D

I wanted to ride a buffalo to rice fields in the mornings (I was about 10 then), none of the buffalo even considered this funny little girl on the back. After begging, my grandfather talked this nice, huge female buffalo into it. (Ones must talk nicely to them, I was told.) So the 1st morning, me, on the back of the nice lady started. My grandfather was leading 3 buffalos in the front, my lady and I were the last. About half way to destination, in the middle of muddy rice paddy, she moved certain way and I slid back on my rear to sit in the mud. :eek: She walked quickly ahead of me, I called (not so nicely), she stopped and turned the head, gave me those eyes like "You silly girl!". Never forget those nice, calm eyes.;)

I tried to capture those eyes in this painting.

Any comments and advice is appreciated.

barnburner
07-24-2010, 02:14 PM
A wonderful painting. Just beautiful.

Brings back to mind a water buffalo story of my own...When I was in Vietnam in 1965, my squad was crossing an area, and found ourselves face to face with a big Water Buffalo, and he didn't seem to be interested in moving. So, there we stood for a long time, trying to figure out what to do... A squad of (supposedly) big tough Marines stopped cold, by one Water Buffalo......
Then......a little boy, probably 6 years old at the most - walked over, slapped him on the nose, and led him off with not a bit of trouble....
Big helpings of humble pie for the Marines that day...:):):)

Anyway, I love your painting. :)

Lee
07-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Dear Jas, What a beautiful story and painting, twice as good!!! just a beautiful memory, so sweet, thank you for sharing,,,,:):):)

Thank You too Barnburner!!!:):):)

pat1940
07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Jasmine this is beautiful and what a lovely storey that goes with it, thankyou so much for sharing, I love it, and Barnburner thankyou also, two great stories from both of you:):):);););)

mannafig
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM
What a lovely setting. A great story to share also fantastic:):)

ARTGEEK
07-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Wonderful story and a great painting!!!!!!!!!

Lima
07-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Jasmin beautiful painting. A great story too. Congratulations. And Barn, your story is also very interesting.

Alexandra
07-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Jasmine, Your painting brings back such fond memories for me-as a child in the Philippines. My father was stationed there. He used to take me to the markets and we would ride a callesa and pass the rice fields some times. I loved the water buffalo. Very nice painting.:)

Linn
07-26-2010, 01:04 AM
I like these kind of paintings...well done!

AT-TA
07-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Jasmin, this picture talks as well as you do..:-) Nice story.. but ... is he really /the buffallow/ my brother? So, it makes the cow my sister?Hope not literally...hehehehe...

justjean
07-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Jasmine, both your painting and your story are wonderful, thanks for sharing :)

Jasminek
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
:DThanks to everyone of you on kind comments.:D

Barnburner - A friend of mine was in Vietnam with the Marine in the early 60s told me similar stories. I love it when you said that a very young boy slapped his nose and led the buffalo away. A lot of these people and their buffalos grew up together, so the buffalos are like pets like we have dogs and cats. Thanks for sharing the wonderful story. Believe me, I didn't dare scolding the buffalo who I rode ever again. She let me ride a few more times with no problem and I made sure I talked nicely to her. Learnt a great lesson of being nice to everything if possible.:cool:

Lee - My father told me that the nice incident with the buffalo wold not have been so funny if I had to take care of them. Father was right, for I was in the situation for having fun and good experience.:eek:

Pat1940 - Thanks sweet Pat.;)

Mannafig - Thanks a lot to you my friend.:)

Artgeek - Very nice of you to stop by.:)

Orien- My appreciations to you dear Orien.

Alexandra - Some of experiences are worth keeping and I know what you mean about the water buffalos. My grandfather was very nice to his animals, never sold any of them for meat, when they die (mostly of old age), he took the skin off, made leather ropes to give to temples, buried the rest. None of our families eat any buffalo meat. Grandfather considered them helping families made a living, deserved respect. When he died, he said the same thing about never sold them to slaugter house in the will.:cool: They were only 2 left by that time, including the female I rode. They were quite old, lived a few more years in comfort and died of natural deaths. My father used to laugh about that "All that money I could get from those bufflos, instead, I had to hire people to take care of them, just about broke me." But that gentle feeling for buffalos stay with me and my brother eventhough we never get to know any of the animals. Thanks again sweet Alex!:D

Linn - Thanks for coming by.

Ar-Ta - The word "brother" is used by a lot of people who grew up with these animals. Like Barn mentioned about a boy of 6 who probably grew up with the one he slapped the nose and no fear. Whatever we grew up with, most likely we have fond memory. I used "brother" without thinking whether the buffalo could be a female like the one I rode.:D Thanks for your kind comments.:)

Justjean - Thanks a lot.:)