PDA

View Full Version : Importing transparent layers

le-mec
11-08-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm working with multiple programs including ArtRage.

If I have scanned artwork on a white background, I know I can import it as a Tracing Image, and then Convert Tracing Image To Paint On This Layer to make it into a layer.

Then I can switch it to Multiply Mode, and that seems to work -- but what I really want to do is eradicate the white background on the newly imported image. I've tried adding a new transparent layer to merge with the scanned artwork layer, but the white background stubbornly comes back.

Is there some way I can get around this? I like to avoid using any funky layer blending modes due to the extra CPU load required to perform display updates, and I also want to be able to merge my linework layers(to save memory and CPU) with other layers and not have the white background contaminate/interfere with them.

AndyRage
11-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Your best option would be to use another application to convert the white background to transparency, prior to loading it into ArtRage.

ArtRage can import PSDs and PNGs with transparency. Also ArtRage supports transparency in loaded tracing images.

le-mec
11-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Good enough for me. Maybe I can make a command-line app that will nuke the white background...

Sethren
11-08-2006, 06:07 AM
There is a free Photoshop Plugin called Eleminate White and it should delete any white backround revealing the layer benieth. The bad part is i have no idea were to get it but if you do a google search it should turn up hopefully.

heikki
11-08-2006, 06:34 AM
:)
One foundet.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfilterseffects/l/bleliminateit1.htm
:)

Micmac
02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi there

Im new to Artrage

The Eliminate White filter do not load on mac 3.5.4 studio Pro.

???

Michael

DaveRage
02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Make sure that you have unzipped the Mac file they provide for the filter to a folder ( It looks like you'd need stuffit to unzip it as it's an sit archive ). In ArtRage, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Filters and make sure that you add the folder containing the unzipped filter. Restart ArtRage.

Filters will appear in Edit -> Filters. If the filter doesn't appear there or doesn't work correctly, then unfortunately the Mac version is not compatible. Filters are written to a range of standards, so some filters will not work.

Micmac
02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dave

I have done already what you have said.

So Im out of luck this time.

Thanks again

Michael

sueellen
02-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I read elsewhere in the forum about Mark McLaren's "MAC's Remove White". I use the "Remove White" filter on the layer after I import the image. I'm on Windows 7, but maybe this other product will load on your Mac 3.54 Studio Pro?

Someonesane
02-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Maybe you don't need to remove it. Have you tried changing the blend mode for the imported image layer to "Multiply", and setting it above the rest of your layers?

courtius
02-18-2012, 01:03 AM
There is a simple procedure for creating a truly transparent line art layer in Photoshop. The transparent layer can then be imported to Art Rage. This is a technique I got from Tom Richmond:

Open your line art image in Photoshop. Be sure the color mode is set to "Grayscale"
Create a new blank layer, rename it “Inks”
Go to the “Channels” palette, there is only one channel called “Gray”
At the bottom of the channels palette, click the “dashed circle” icon entitled “Load Channel as Selection”
In “Select” drop down menu, select “Inverse” (or press Ctl+Shift+I)
Go to your “Inks” layer
Press “D” on your keyboard to reset swatches so full black in active color
Press Alt+Delete to fill selection with black
Press Ctl+"D" to deselect the lines.
Delete the bottom original opaque line art layer and save image as a PSD in order to import it into ArtRage.

It may seem like a lot of steps. But once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature, and there aren't any of the same problems you get with relying on Layer Blending Modes.

BTW, you will need to have the full version of Photoshop to do this. Photoshop Elements doesn't have a Channels Palette, which is necessary for this procedure.

Micmac
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi

When I import a transparent lineart from PS I also get the checkerboard in, behind the lineart on the same layer in AR.

Do I miss something?

Michael

Micmac
02-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi again

I use the bucket to fill in a base color in the lineart.

If the lineart is antialaised then the bucket color will not flow fully out to the line due to lightgray pixels.

Do you take your lineart in as black and white?

Michael

courtius
02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi Micmac,

A couple things: Do not use the Paint Bucket tool to fill in the selection in Photoshop. That will create the white edges like you mentioned because it fills the selection in a different way than the keyboard command. Do as it says in the list of instructions: With your foreground color set to black, press "Alt+ Delete" (or Alt + Backspace) and every pixel which is not pure white in the original line drawing will be affected. There will be no white halos inside the selection lines.

And the other thing, be sure that when you import the PSD with transparent background into ArtRage, that you use the command "Import Image File to Layer" and not just "Import Image File". Then you won't get the checkerboard background.

Sweedie
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I use "Kill White" in Photoshop Elements 10 as well as in Artrage. It works just fine. Here is the link: http://mikes3d.com/extra/scripting-plugins/killwhite/

To use PSE 10 for this removing white background from a scanned drawing (as I often do) it is this easy: Use the Magic Wand to select a part of the white background you like to remove. Modify the selection to include all similar colour in the Selection drop down menu. Now, all white is selected. Hit the Delete key = all white background is gone!

courtius
02-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I guess a plug-in is helpful for those using PS Elements, since there is no Channels Palette in that version.

But the magic wand selection method will usually result in light halos around the lines, because those lighter pixels at the line edges, while not pure black, are usually outside the tolerance of the magic wand. The tolerance level is adjustable, of course, but it's such a game of guesswork until you get the level just right for each new drawing (a black pen drawing will require different tolerances than a pencil sketch) and you usually end up thinning and damaging the integrity of the line work.

I don't want to go on too much about this because this isn't a Photoshop forum afterall. But the method I described above will create an exactly perfect transparent reproduction of your original line art, be it light sketchy pencil lines, or thick black ink lines, every single time, without the guesswork or shortcuts which end up causing headaches later.

Someonesane
02-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Here's a method that only requires ArtRage for this (examples attached). It looks like a lot of steps, but it can boiled down to simply importing the image as a stencil and filling it in. For the best results, however, I suggest the following steps:
1 - Import the line work image into ArtRage, and turn off the 3D light rendering, so it doesn't interfere with the following steps.

2 - Adjust the contrast of the image using the Color Adjustment Panel, so that the lines are nice and dark, while trying to maintain the white of the background.
• If you don't have Studio Pro, for the Color Adjustment, you can duplicate the layer, and set it's blend mode to Multiply, and then adjust it's opacity, for a similar effect.
3 - Export the image as a .PNG

4 - Import the .PNG image as a stencil.

5 - Reset the stencil scale, so it's at its full size.

6 - Fill in the lines with the Pen tool, crayon, or other tool, that colors in a flat color.
I've attached an example of this below. I'm afraid I don't have any current work to scan, so this 10 year old pencil image will have to do, lol.

The scanned original:

The image reproduced with a stencil, as seen in ArtRage Studio Pro:

Micmac
02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry

I have not seen the many new post

This is very helpfull

Thanks

Michael

Lúthien
02-06-2014, 12:27 AM
And the other thing, be sure that when you import the PSD with transparent background into ArtRage, that you use the command "Import Image File to Layer" and not just "Import Image File". Then you won't get the checkerboard background.

Hi,

actually, I do get this checkerboard background when I use the "Import Image File to Layer" with a PSD export of a painting with a transparent background.
This is what I'm trying to do: I drew something using a couple of layers (black lines, colours behind it). I wanted a couple of instances of that object, so I exported it to a PSD file, and chose "Import Image File to Layer". This gives me a composite of the exported image - all layers combined. Unfortunately, this includes the checkered background, too.

This seems to be a bug, for I can't think of a reason why this background should be actually visible?
And this checkered layer is a real pest to get rid of, because you can't select it with the colour 'magic wand' select tool. Of course I can use the polygon select to cut the shape out out, but that defies the purpose a bit ... then I just as well duplicate all layers and fiddle around with them.

Someonesane
02-06-2014, 02:13 AM
That's not happening to me. Everything on the .psd file that was transparent, comes into ArtRage as transparent for me.

markw
02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
No problems here too, with PSD imports created in other apps.
But I do get problems like Lúthien's if I export from AR as .psd and then re-import that file.
I would also note that the AR created .psd opens just fine in other apps. Ironically its just AR that messes up the transparency when re-importing it!
Was this your work flow Lúthian?

Someonesane
02-06-2014, 07:26 PM
But I do get problems like Lúthien's if I export from AR as .psd and then re-import that file.
I would also note that the AR created .psd opens just fine in other apps. Ironically its just AR that messes up the transparency when re-importing it!
Was this your work flow Lúthian?

It's probably because you're using "Import Image File" instead of "Open File". Using Open File, ArtRage reads the .PSD as it would it's own .PTG (in terms of separate layers).

markw
02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Open File? I don't have that as an option in the 'File' menu.
On my Mac for files that already exist there is only;
"Open Painting…" But that only opens .ptg files.
"Import Image File…"
"Import Image File To Layer…"
"Recent Files" Using this I can open a PSD file but only if it had previously been imported to AR.
The only way I know of to open a .psd for the first time in AR without using any of the above import methods is to Right Click on the .psd file, choose 'Open With…' > 'Other...' and then navigate to the AR app and choose 'Open'.
In the attached screenshot is the window that AR then opens asking what to do with the .psd. (Note this window only appears if opening a .psd by right clicking on it)
'Import To New File' = keeps all the layers separate + keeps any transparency, whether the file was made outside of AR or by AR.
'Import To Layer' = flattens all the layers + keeps any transparency if the file was made outside of AR only.
But even with this method of right clicking on the file, if the .psd was originally made by AR there is no transparency just the checkerboard pattern where the transparency should be when 'Import to Layer' is used.

Someonesane
02-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Yes, I meant "Open Painting". I was just working off of my memory at the time and thought the option was titled with "file". If you open ArtRage and go to "File > Open Painting", you can open .PSD files (you may need to set the Type option on the browser window to All Files, to see files that aren't .ptg types).

markw
02-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Well that is interesting, I'm not given those other two options on the Mac that you have, just .ptg files.
I know you can't really tell from this screenshot but honestly .ptg is the only option given when using 'Open Painting…' Although you can also see the listed .psd files to the right are greyed out.
So to be clear Someonesane, if you export a multi layer painting from AR, with some transparent areas, as a PSD file, then bring it back in or open it later by using 'Import Image File To Layer' you still have the transparent areas that were there when it was a multi layered file?
That consistently fails for me if and only if the PSD was made in AR. If it was made in another app however it works just fine and any transparent areas are kept.
This may be a Mac only thing maybe. I don't think Lúthien said what OS she has.

Someonesane
02-06-2014, 11:20 PM
So to be clear Someonesane, if you export a multi layer painting from AR, with some transparent areas, as a PSD file, then bring it back in or open it later by using 'Import Image File To Layer' you still have the transparent areas that were there when it was a multi layered file?

That's correct. Any .psd (whether it was made in Photoshop or an exported .psd from AR) opens with a transparent background for me (assuming I had a transparent background set, to begin with).

What does that "File Format" option in your screen shot image offer you? That doesn't allow you the option of selecting file types?

markw
02-06-2014, 11:24 PM
No that's it, the one and only file type option given me!

Someonesane
02-06-2014, 11:34 PM
No that's it, the one and only file type option given me!

Oh. So clicking on it, doesn't bring up a menu? Odd.

markw
02-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Yes it dose, it's just a very, very, short menu with one item;)

Still, if this was Lúthien's work flow, exporting a PSD from AR, then bringing it back in to be a single flattened image and she is on a Mac.
Then I would suggest that instead of exporting out of AR as a PSD, to export as a PNG file and then bring that back in via 'Import Image To Layer'.
The effect is the same, that of a multi layered image flattened to a single layer, but this way any transparency is kept.

Lúthien
02-07-2014, 01:25 PM
My work flow is like this:

- I create a painting with, say, two layers on a transparent background. The top one is a black ink pen drawing, the bottom one are the colours. Just like in old style cell animation.
- then I'd like to duplicate the image. So I export the image in .psd format, and re-import it using File -> Import Image File to Layer. That's because if I choose "import image file", it would simply overwrite the whole painting, and I'd still only have one instance of whatever I drew :)
- Then I'd have three layers: the two original ones, plus a third - compound - layer. It is that layer that has the opaque checkerboard transparency.

markw
Well that is interesting, I'm not given those other two options on the Mac that you have, just .ptg files.
I know you can't really tell from this screenshot but honestly .ptg is the only option given when using 'Open Painting…' Although you can also see the listed .psd files to the right are greyed out.
It's under File -> Import, not File -> Open Painting ...

I have a mac, too - OSX 10.9.1, 2012 Retina MBP.

But - not sure if someone suggested it here, but I just tried to not export the composite painting as PSD but as PNG - and re-import that to a layer. And yes, that works fine:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MattRage
02-08-2014, 11:41 PM
If there is only the option to open PTG then that's the Open File menu. Using Import Image or Import Image to Layer will allow you to import a range of standard image types in to the ArtRage painting.