PDA

View Full Version : Pen eraser not working on Mac (2.2.8)

spitfire31
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I was a bit surprised :roll: to learn that the latest update (2.2.8 on Mac, apparently, though it's announced as 2.2.9 here) does in fact NOT cure the eraser glitch on my G4 PowerMac/10.4.8/Wacom Graphire 4.

The version numbers are a bit confusing. In the About... box, the latest Mac update is definitely called 2.2.8. Is 2.2.9 for Windows?

Best,

Joey

AndyRage
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
The 2.2.9 update should definitely cure the eraser problem on MacOSX.

Can you do a search on your machine and ensure you only have the one copy of ArtRage? There's a chance if you have more than one that the wrong copy was updated.

spitfire31
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Andy,

You're right!

But the situation is a bit confusing - it seems that, on my system (10.4.3, not 10.4.8 as I stated, that's on my other machine :oops: ), the ArtRage Updater doesn't update the original installation (in a folder called ArtRage2.2) but creates a NEW folder in Applications, called ArtRage 2.

As a matter of fact, when I update using the Updater (without ArtRage running, of course), it first runs as expected and then launches the Apple Installer, which then appears to make a fresh install. Is this intended?

Anyway, trashing the original ArtRage2.2 folder and launching the ArtRage 2 app from the freshly created ArtRage 2 folder, does indeed give me version 2.2.9 AND the eraser works... :lol:

But there seems to be something screwy with the updater creating a completely new folder, doesn't it?

Best,

Joey

MattRage
11-06-2006, 11:08 PM
The updater should have 'ArtRage 2' in Applications as its default folder, and that should also be the default folder for the ArtRage installer itself. If the ArtRage installation was made in a different folder, you'll have to locate that manually when you install the updater.

I'll go check the defaults just in case they're out of synch though!

halley
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
If the ArtRage installation was made in a different folder, you'll have to locate that manually when you install the updater.

This process should be auto-magical in good software. The updater should belong in the same directory as the application, so that the updater can know WHICH copy of the application to update just by looking at WHERE the updater was launched. If you have neither one, then the installer should install both so they're ready-paired. The user shouldn't have to keep both things in sync in any other way.

I'll hop off the soap box now, and resume painting...