PDA

View Full Version : Where are you on the color picker?

bcmillustrator
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I recently saw an article about the correlation of the use of color and one's geographic location. People from sunny climes tend to wear brighter clothing than people like me from an area where overcast is the norm (it is so nice to see the sun sometimes).

In any case, I am wondering if you have noticed that you tend to use a certain portion of the color picker. I tend to use the "out of the box" HS/L Picker and tend to stay toward the greyer lower right portions. It looks to me as though painters like Waheed use a much brighter portion of the color palette. Does you use of color correlate with your geography?

Brian

drzeller
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Of course, the color of your clothing is largely affected by what is offered to you as well -- check out a store in Florida (southern US) and Maine (northern US) and you will find many more bright shirts down south and more dark colors up north.

I think picking a color from a pallete may be more revealing -- though also perhaps affected by the colors you see around you day to day.

That said, I tend towards more saturated colors and "slate-y" colors from a broad range of colors: golden yellows (ochre?), deep/dark/dusty blues, crimson, etc. I'm not sure that answered your question, though!

By the way, I live midway north-south.

D.

bcmillustrator
04-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Indeed that is the information I am looking for. I thought this rather unscientific poll to verify the observations made in this article would be a fun way to find out more about the people in our little community.

Thanks!

Brian

justG
04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm from the north (New York) but live in the south (Florida). I don't shop here because the stores' inventories blind me. =] My colour choices are usually pretty limited: forest green, burgundy, rgb(87,129,145), and colours that umm.. go well with them. =]

- Gita

Aged P
04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I was taught oil painting by a Scottish lady who learnt in Sri Lanka and London.
Which might have influenced the choice.
She always recommended a small palette of colours, which I think were roughly what Monet used.
Any form of Green was forbidden!

I do have a craving for a small colour picker with Cerulean Blue, Naples Yellow, Alizarin Crimson etc. They varied with manufacturer but were a trusted friend!

I've tried picking them off scans of my old paintings but the technology isn't perfect.

A sudden thought!
I wonder if the paint manufacturer's sites have indications of their paint colours. If they do, how can I save them?

Aged P
04-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Bring in a colour set as a reference image!

Works beautifully, which means we can gat the colours that we like onto a small .jpg.
It acts like a mini palette.

So simple! I bet all the Illustrators were already doing this!

bcmillustrator
04-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Aged P:

Any book I read that supplies some sort of color palette I usually scan and then pick off the colors so I can create a color palette. The other day, I scanned in the Quaker Oats man because I liked the caucasian skin tones that were used.

Maybe I'll head to the paint store and take a bunch of paint chips of colors I like as well!

Brian

Aged P
04-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Brian,

I was sort of trying not to mention paint manufacturer's sites, in case there was a copyright thing.

They really try to get the colours accurate.

I have scanned stuff in as well, but this way provides a source for all the old weird paint colours like Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna.
I know I could mix them from the colour wheel and put them in the little containers, this is just nostalgia. It leaves you with little piles of paint to dab at.

The Quaker Oats idea is good, they must have spent a lot of time and money over the years to get those shades just right.

My tiny experience of Ohio was in and around Columbus, I might dig out the photos and do a painting.

AndyRage
04-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Bring in a colour set as a reference image!

Works beautifully, which means we can gat the colours that we like onto a small .jpg.
It acts like a mini palette.

So simple! I bet all the Illustrators were already doing this!

There's also 'custom colour pickers' in ArtRage.
In the colour picker, to the right of the 'Metalic' option is an up-arrow. Clicking on it opens the colour picker menu. Choose 'Custom Picker' from that menu.

You can use them in a couple of ways.
If you then choose 'Create custom picker', you're given a small window to position on your painting to sample part of it as a new colour picker. This means you can use part of your painting to mix up some colours, and keep them for use in other paintings.
If you were to choose 'Load custom picker', you can load any image file, and it will appear in the colour picker.

AndyRage.