PDA

View Full Version : Tycho the Cat

bcmillustrator
10-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Just wondering if Tycho the cat is named after Tycho Brahe. Tycho Brahe is the bragadocious Polish astronomer with a nose made of silver (his original nose was sliced off in a duel) and who died when his bladder exploded because it was impolite to leave the table until after dinner was completed.

Just wondering.

Brian
Keeper of the most useless (but entertaining) knowledge.

DaveRage
10-26-2006, 03:38 AM
I like it!
Sad to say that Tycho isn't really named after anyone. I think Matt just felt it was a good name =)

bcmillustrator
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I named my dog Brita because I liked the water filter.

Fitting the only thing she really covets is dihydrogen oxide!

Brian

Improv
10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I named my dog Brita because I liked the water filter.

Fitting the only thing she really covets is dihydrogen oxide!

Brian

As long as she doesn't act like a water filter! :(

hanzz
10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
who died when his bladder exploded because it was impolite to leave the table until after dinner was completed.
A man's gotta go,when he's gotta go !
what a way to go,I hope the food was any good.

I think the name of the cat was misspelled, it was meanth to be typo.

bcmillustrator
10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
As long as she doesn't act like a water filter!

Actually she is an excellent dog. Although she is a Labrador Retriever/Golden Retriever mix, she doesn't retrieve anything! She prefers to sleep on a great big pillow 20 hours of the day. I have friends who believe in reincarnation that say they want to come back as my dog.

Brian

bcmillustrator
10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
A man's gotta go,when he's gotta go !

Can you imagine the dinner conversation?

Tycho: Ooof. I shouldn't have had that last flagon of grog.

A mysterious sound occurs that seems to originate from inside Tycho

Person Sitting Next to Tycho: Umm...Tycho? Hello? You're looking a little jaundiced!

Brian

Improv
10-26-2006, 08:36 PM
As long as she doesn't act like a water filter!

Actually she is an excellent dog. Although she is a Labrador Retriever/Golden Retriever mix, she doesn't retrieve anything! She prefers to sleep on a great big pillow 20 hours of the day. I have friends who believe in reincarnation that say they want to come back as my dog.

Brian

That's like our neighbour's chocolate labrador Joey. Every day about 10:00 am you see him amble up and down the block, exactly once, inspecting things. Then he spends the rest of his day snoozing on the front porch. Oh, and his other job is precisely one woof for the mail man! (No more, no less!)

Dogs-ya gotta love 'em! :lol:

bcmillustrator
10-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmmm...apparently I misremembered my high school physical science! I thought Tycho Brahe was born in Poland and escaped to Denmark but apparently it is the other way around!

Makes better sense....He worked with Kepler who I doubt would've strayed very far from his native Germany. I do remember Brahe was quite flamboyant while Kepler was surly and reserved. Brahe made the most precise measurements of the heavens in his day and Kepler was able to formulate his astronomical laws. Sort of like the "Odd Couple".

Brian

P.S. Beautiful pictures. I am envious of the bike riders.

sweeneymini
10-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Francis Bacon died from pneumonia after stuffing a chicken with snow :roll:

Aged P
10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Sweenie , you just have to have made that up! :D

I'd only just got round to believing Sweedie's life of Tycho Brahe!
I love the beautiful bits of geography that this forum brings to my attention..

I must confess I had confused with Brahe with Braque. :lol:

Having once got 2% for a whole year of doing History I just have to believe all you guys tell me. :oops:

Phil

halley
10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Tycho Brahe is the namesake of many interesting things.

It's the star-shaped splat on the face of the moon, with a crater at the center formed by a massive and ancient meteor impact.

That crater in turn was the location of the second monolith in Arthur Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey series. They detected the monolith from the abnormal magnetic distortion, aka, TMA1: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly #1.

Of course, I could refer to Tycho, from "Gabe and Tycho," the duo behind the webcomic Penny Arcade. Clearly this is the most logical explanation for the name of a housecat on the opposite side of the planet.

MattRage
10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
The truth is far stranger than the fiction: Tycho is named after an ancient Greek word meaning 'luck', though I changed the ending from a long 'e' to an 'o' because it sounds better.

I hope that clears everything up :)

bcmillustrator
10-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Always good to end a pet's name in an "a", "e" or an "o" sound....at least for dogs.

Brian

hanzz
10-28-2006, 04:29 AM
yeah, like Max... :twisted:

sweeneymini
10-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Sweenie , you just have to have made that up! :D

Phil

Nope, tis true. He was trying to prove that you could use it in replacement of salt in the role of preservative.

Though I'm glad I checked my memory with google, as I was gonna put Kevin Bacon :lol:

Hmmm....Francis Bacon stuffing a chicken with snow...perhaps thats an idea for the art project forum :P