PDA

View Full Version : Can I set the DPI resolution of exports?

royblumenthal
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Folks...

Quick question... when I export a JPG or PNG file, is there any way I can set the DPI resolution of the pic?

Blue skies
love
Roy

AndyRage
10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Not yet, sorry.
A more competent import/export/ print managing system is on the 'to do' list.

royblumenthal
10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks AndyRage...

And thanks also for the extremely cool update. Damn. It's good.

On the topic of resolution... what IS the native resolution of the exports?

Blue skies
love
Roy

AndyRage
10-22-2006, 10:56 PM
72 DPI. It should match your screen resolution.

Internally, ArtRage doesn't care about DPI at all - it just works with raw pixels with no regard for the output resolution. It's only at print-time or export time that we do anything DPI related.

royblumenthal
10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks AndyRage...

Is there ANY chance you could do a tweak to the code so that it exports at a higher resolution?

The reason I'm asking is that I recently designed some set backdrops for another piece of industrial theatre I wrote and directed, and the guys doing the printing onto canvas needed the pics to be at 300 dpi.

It didn't really matter, in the end. But it would be very cool to default it to a higher figure. We can always resample downwards if the file is too big, but resampling upwards ain't cool, cos it approximates things.

Blue skies
love
Roy

PVIllustration
10-23-2006, 12:20 PM
in my understanding another piece of code wouldn't do you any good. There is no idea in thinking in dpi untill your painting is sent to the printer.

What you have to consider when handing over a painting for print is this simple logic.

What size will the painting needed to be (inches) and what resolution must it have to get the wanted sharpness/detail.

Following this logic you would for example want:

A 20 inches tall and 15 inches wide at 300 dots pr inch (DPI). That would mean that your painting needs to be atleast 6000pixels high and 4500 pixels wide in Artrage.

Export this image to Photoshop or some similar program. You want to do this because at the moment you have no control over papersize and dpi in the printers dialogue box within AR, but you do in Photoshop. From hereon it's simple: You choose the right output size (here 20inches by 15inches) and paper that can handle the size and press print.

The key in all of this is that final output dpi corresponds to the initial output size in physical measures and must be present in the raw number of pixels of the that canvas. This is to maintain the sharpness and detail level you see on you monitor in the final print.

royblumenthal
10-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Aha! Thanks! Gotcha.

Blue skies
love
Roy

D Akey
10-23-2006, 01:22 PM
This has me scratching my head. . . I must be missing something large here.

Wouldn't the answer simply be to Edit/RescaleThePainting... before you export it? (If you haven't sized it properly for whatever reason).

Does increasing the size in AR degrade the picture more than would a resize in Photoshop?

If I've totally missed the point, there's also programs like Genuine Fractals, if you want to buy a pricey program that's designed for that specific task of blowing up pics to any size with little or no loss. Apparently it works.

And it would be good to keep the image in AR a bit on the smaller side just so the interface doesn't lag --(less so now than before though).

PVIllustration
10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Again, as far as i know it is the same thing that happens whether you scale the picture beforehand in AR/Photoshop or you do it then printing process.
The advantage for doing it before the printing process is that you can check first hand how much the degradation the painting has suffered from before you loose all that valuable ink on a print you might want to throw out.
Besides that, Photoshop offers you some means to get (some of) the quality/sharpness back after a upscale, which you don't have when you do the scaling in the print session.
lastly, the scale itself is probably better too in a program such as Photoshop than in a printer menu. On a smilar note; You wouldn't want to change from rgb to cmyk on the printer go, would you? ;)

I remember the fractal scaling program and it promises alot but if it does deliver, I don't know. The best thing anyways, would be to paint the image in the scale of the final print like i described in my previous post (yes, I know that is not always a possible solution).

Bring on vector paint, eh? (yes andy that was a joke ;))

Adam Black
12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
I hope that selecting dpi will be a part of a future AR update/release.

I would love to be able to use this program to make art for my CafePress store and/or do some professional illustration with it. Both of which require a higher dpi than 72. :D

joules
12-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm exporting images to Gimp, for cropping and resizing, so far it's working very well. I have had some issues in printing from ArtRage on my Mac, but now print from Gimp as I have more control over settings.

Joules

thaniel
12-20-2006, 10:53 AM
i create a layered 'canvas' file (.psd) in the dpi size i like,
then open it /w Ar2 (in the file type drop-down select 'all files' , you'll then b able to see your .psd canvas files)
cheers :wink: