PDA

View Full Version : New Arty Pens

sweeneymini
10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the updates guys :D

I've been hoping for an inking pen to do line art with, so the arty pen seems very promising. I've had a go with it though and I can't notice any difference with it swicthed on or off.

What am I doing wrong? or have I misinterpreted what the arty pen does?

sar
10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
well... same here for me!

AndyRage
10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
The arty pens are more opaque when you're usining lighter colours. What this means is that if you're blending light colours with the Art Pen, you're adding white. With the normal marker, light colours add transparency.

The easiest way to see the difference is to change your paper colour to something darker, then to light-coloured strokes with the marker set to Art Pen, and not Art Pen.

sweeneymini
10-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh I see. Cheers Andy :D

halley
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I know I'm not the only one hoping for a Rotring-style technical pen or Speedball-style ink nib pen to be added to the mix. Especially with very dark india ink. Maybe that was the original expectation when some people saw the "Art Pen" mode.

While I have said that going to Manga Studio for smooth inking is a very solid alternative, I must admit it's a bit of a bother, especially with "natural media" being a focus for ArtRage.

Cooner
10-15-2006, 05:48 AM
The arty pens are more opaque when you're usining lighter colours. What this means is that if you're blending light colours with the Art Pen, you're adding white. With the normal marker, light colours add transparency.

YES! YES!! Guys, this one detail makes the update completely worth it. (Though all the other enhancements are nice and appreciated, as well.)

The "art pen" setting may take people a time or two to get used to, but I think it's an excellent way to compromise between the "real media" way that markers SHOULD work, and the "this is digital, dammit!" way that some of us love to be able to draw light colors over dark.

Thanks a ton, guys!