PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage Updater Notes.

MattRage
10-12-2006, 02:54 AM
The ArtRage Updater released with version 2.2 is an external application that lives in the ArtRage folder and can manage downloads of new versions when they are detected.

The ArtRage Updater can be downloaded here (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragedown.html#update).

Please note: The ArtRage Updater is only for the ArtRage Full Edition.
Free Editions, OEM Editions, and other editions will not be updated. The updater currently supports the English, French, and German versions of ArtRage 2. When updates to other languages and full versions are released, the updater will be updated to support those also.

Running The Updater.

Versions of ArtRage prior to 2.2 don't know about the updater, so the first time it is run it has to be run manually from the ArtRage folder (instructions here (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragedown.html#update)). When your version is updated to 2.2 or later, ArtRage knows about the updater and you can run it simply by using the 'Check For Updates' option in the ArtRage 'Help' menu (Ctrl/Cmd-U).

ArtRage is set to check for new versions weekly by default, this can be turned off in the Preferences menu if you wish. When this is on and a week has passed since the last update, ArtRage will check for updates when it launches. At this point, a panel will appear letting you know what's happening, and you can cancel the process if you wish.

When the automatic check is done, the Updates Panel will appear and let you know if a new version has been found. You can check your current version by looking in the ArtRage About Box. The Copyright notice informs you of the precise version you are running. If there is a new version, clicking the green 'update' button will launch the ArtRage Updater and you can download the new version. You should close ArtRage and make sure any work you had was saved.

The Updater will download the new version then prompt you to okay the install, at which point the installation process takes place.

Technical Notes.

The ArtRage Updater does not run any processes on your machine unless it is open. It only opens when you prompt it to open from ArtRage or by launching it manually. The updater does not pass any personal information from your machine to the server. Similarly, ArtRage itself only accesses the internet when it is performing a check for updates either weekly as noted above, or when you manually trigger it using the Check For Updates option from the Help Menu. No personal information is passed in this case either.

If you are running a Firewall, you may need to tell it to allow the updater access to the internet. ArtRage 2 also needs access to be able to check for new updates. The updater connects and downloads using HTTP via port 80 just like a web browser. If you find you cannot connect to the server, particularly from a business account with a strict firewall, you may need to ask your network administrator to allow the ArtRage Updater executable access to the internet.

If find after checking your firewall and internet connection that you are unable to use the updater to download new versions of ArtRage, please contact us at support@ambientdesign.com.

MattRage
10-13-2006, 04:07 AM
If you are having problems using the Updater, please see the Support Page (http://www.ambientdesign.com/ar2support.html) for steps to go try to get it working. If you do need to contact us for further help, please make sure you include your purchase details in the mail.

djs
08-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I to have had problems updating to 2.5 on Mac OSX. But after a couple of tries it ran OK. First it got to 9% then 33% then 63% then 99%. But eventually it updated fine. All i did was quit Artrage deleted the broken update and re-tried.

ps. wonderful program at a very low price.

Thanks.

DJS.

Christiane
08-24-2007, 04:42 AM
In have load the update and they don't fonction on Vista, why?

AndyRage
08-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Hi Christiane - what errors are you seeing?
It sounds like you have the latest update of ArtRage 2.5 already.

Christiane
08-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Excuse my English, I am french.

The error message in Vista said:

The administrator system configured the politics of your system to forbid this installation.

I am the administrator.

Tank you

Christiane
08-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Something like this one:

The installation is forbidden by system policy

Tank you

AndyRage
08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Are you certain you're running from an administrator account?
Are you able to install any other MSIs from that account?

Christiane
08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes. I.m certain

Tank you

Christiane
08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm able to make an other installation

AndyRage
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Are you running the ArtRage auto-updater, or are you downloading the ArtRage 2.5 installer msi and trying to install directly from the installer?

You should try downloading the installer again, just in case it is corrupted.
http://www.artrage.com/artrageinstaller.html

Christiane
08-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Tank you for your responce but I have make it and it's make the same thing.

Christiane
08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I think it's cause by Vista.
I think I will continue with the version without update.