PDA

View Full Version : IMac 20"

ingie01
09-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Hello art world
I just purchased an iMac 20 and will have it delivered in a week.
How will I like the change? Actually it is in addition to my Intel HP Pavilion.
I purchased a book to help "The lost Manual".
Any suggestions or caveats are certianly welcome
I hope this post isn't inappropiate or misplaced..........

halley
09-30-2006, 01:31 PM
If you're used to non-Mac machines, the only thing I would suggest you really want to get is a regular two-button-plus-scrollwheel mouse to replace the standard one-button mouse. The right-click is for context menus just like other operating systems, and wheels do what wheels are supposed to do too.

Everything else about the operating system will feel DIFFERENT, but it's like the difference between American driving and British driving... it just takes a bit of time and patience before you stop bouncing off curbs.

ingie01
09-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Halley, I'm assuming that a wacom tablet would work on the iMac?

samIambic
09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
High Ingie,

I'll answer your question to Halley. Oh yeah, your Wacom will work just fine with your new iMac. As will it's mouse. His is a good tip tho, if you aren't using your Wacom a new mouse may be in order. I bought a pretty cheap one called "The Mouse AL" from MacMice and it works fine.

The "Missing Manual" books are great, any of them, and anything by David Pogue in particuar. He's my hero and his OS X book helped me thru many a traumatic episode. His Missing Manual on iLife 6 will also be worth the investment. I upgraded to iLife 5, (you'll get iLife 6 with your new iMac), and catalogued my slide portfolio this summer. It was perfect. I did allot of research into all sorts of cataloging software and the iPhoto came out on top. And it comes with your Mac.

I'm really jealous. I want one too!!! My humble eMac lacks the "testicular fortitude" for making GarageBand and other music software viable, as well as allot of 3D and animation software. When I grow up...

Have fun, I'm sure you will.

sam...

ingie01
09-30-2006, 06:37 PM
samIambic, yes it does take years sometimes to make your dreams come true.
Thanks for the information, it's a good investment then?
I've never before had the bucks and am completely ignorant of the apple/mac scene because of my lack of money.

artisanicview
09-30-2006, 10:11 PM
it's a good investment then?

This depends for what kind of things will use your iMac.

If is for gaming, isnt but if is for graphic art, Is the solution. The screen is top clas, maybe one of the best "profesionals" monitors. The colors that will you have in the screen, will looking exactly in print. Take a look at apples site and you can learn more thinks about this subject. Actually a lot of artist are using macs for making ART.

Selby
09-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Ahh Ingie it will be loads of fun..but halleys right if your not used to it it will take a little getting used to.

My best tip is get to know and love your 'command' key also known as the apple key its the one with the four leaf clover painted on it its used in heaps of shortcut key commands ,copying pasting printing etc....but the most important one to start with is 'command+ S' ..which will save your work. dont go trying to use 'control+s' as you would on a pc cause it wont save a thing

Selby

ingie01
10-01-2006, 11:11 AM
thanks artisanicview, selby!
I knew this was the right forum for asking!
The imac will be used for graphics........ I was going to ask about drivers for a hp photosmart 8200. I guess I just did........

aarku
10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
A ton of printer drivers ship with Mac OS X. I checked the list here but didn't see yours:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301175#hpdrivers

I couldn't find an HP Photosmart 8200 on HP's page, either, though... only 8230, 8238, and 8250.

But chances are it'll just work when you plug the printer into the Mac.

Hope that helps!
-Jon

ingie01
10-02-2006, 10:49 AM
aarku, thanks- My photosmart is 3 years old probably why not listed.

D Akey
10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
http://tinyurl.com/fk2xa

This is the driver for your 8200 for OSX from the HP site.

"Description

HP Photosmart driver and Image Zone Software version 9.1.5 (optional install) for the 140, 240, 320, 330, 370, 380, 470, 7200, 7400, 7600, 7700, 7800, 7900, 8000, 8100, 8200, 8400 and 8700 series photosmart printers for Macintosh OS X v 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4.

HP_Photosmart_Installer_10.2-10.4.dmg 1/1 (127.51M)"

Seems like a rediculously big file size. But you may not have to install all of it, though I don't know.

I don't have your hardware, but my guess is this would work.

ingie01
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
thanks, d akey.
this is all new to me, every bit helps....

MacAnkka
10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone, I've been lurking around for a while on this forum, but haven't posted yet.

I bought a MacBook during the summer and I was facing a situation like yours after I had ordered it.

I was afraid at first that it would take a lot of time to get used to the Mac OSX, but I found it to be really intuitive and easy to use. I've tried a couple of Linux distros before, but I NEVER really understood them or learmed how to efficently use them. OSX is so much more easier to learn.

Among other things, I would suggest you get used to using the Spotlight, it's awesome! You just command+space and write something and it finds any application, document or email that contains the text (either in the filename or inside the document itself) you searched in real time. It's a very fast way to find stuff/launch applications.

I've found virtue desktops (http://virtuedesktops.info/) to be quite useful. You can have many different desktops and switch between them with ctrl+shift+arrow key. Very useful if you like multitasking.

By the way, the Macs today don't ship with one button mouses anymore, they ship with the "mighty mouse". It has right-click button and a scroll wheel (actually, it's more like a ball. you can scroll sideways, too). You should try using it before you buy a new mouse.

ingie01
10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
MacAnkka,
Thanks for the "spotlight" tip. I think I will love it when I master it.......

ingie01
10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Now that I have my new iMac it seems that I overlooked the fact that I have
the Intel Windows version.
Is it possible to get the Mac version and have both my windows pc and my mac on the same license?
In other words, can I have the mac version without paying for it?

AndyRage
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
If you want to use ArtRage on both a Windows box and a Mac box, you should really have a license for each.
If you want to change from exclusively using it on one platform to exclusively using it on the other, send a friendly note to: support@artrage.com
Include all your original purchase details (which supplier, when, transaction number if you have it, email address you used for the purchase, and reg key). Ask Dave nicely and he'll send you the installer for the platform you're changing to. But you have to ask him *really* nicely.

ingie01
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow, thanks Andy.
I think I will pay for another license.
See, everyone this here company is the real deal!