PDA

View Full Version : Eraser only!

Canvasian
07-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey everyone! I had this idea earlier, to paint / chalk/ watever the canvas a solid color, and then make a "painting" with just the eraser tool. I took a couple of attempts at it earlier, but I'm really not sure what to make with it yet. Figured I'd put the idea out there while I'm brainstorming. Will post my eraser painting later today or tomorrow :) in the meantime... maybe you guys could post something and give me ideas. lol

Silentman
07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
What a great idea :)

wenkat
07-23-2009, 04:38 PM
This one was done in about 20 Ė 25 minutes, using only eraser and stencil. Only for the basic layer, the roller-paint tool was used for dividing horizontally into two different colors.
As I was just experimenting, I didnít bother to take any screen shots and I feel what mentioned above is self-explanatory. I think more interesting work can be done using eraser alone.

jbyrjbyr1
07-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks. Thanks a lot!
Here I was all prepared to do some of my actual rent-paying work today and YOU had to come up with an interesting challenge...sheesh! :cool:

Well, I did the first picture below with only eraser (although I created four layers, each in a shade of black, gray or white...maybe that was cheating).:confused:

When finished, I decided to definitely cheat a bit and do a little blending; the second picture below. Not much of a change but what the heck...

A fun challenge; a challenging challenge, too.:eek:

jb

Silentman
07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
WoW those are awesome guys :D

Canvasian
07-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Wow, I'm impressed you two! I hadn't considered layers jbyr, but I don't think it's cheating :) it was a good idea. Wonderful nightscape there. I tried to do a dove feather against a black background but it turned into something ghastly and formless... so I'm afraid I lied, and you'll have to wait just a bit longer to see mine. I'm trying though, really o.O haha

RobertSWade
07-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Interesting concept with, I think, a lot of potential. Let's hope more jump on this idea. :)

Silentman
07-24-2009, 02:25 AM
What a great idea Robert, i challenge everyone to have a go at eraser only art, i think it's a great concept and will really help to increase our understanding of composition plus light and dark study in general.

I'll have a go shortly myself :)

cartuneman
07-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I saw this and had to do one...I am always working with light and dark in all my work and so Voila! this is mine "A Winter Scene" a 3 minute doodle white chalk on the chalk board and erased to reveal a contrast picture. Hope you all like it ..Is this what you are asking for Canvasian ? I have done this before but using different colors and then just erasing the contrast out it's a total fun idea. thanks

Silentman
07-24-2009, 04:22 AM
That's a terrific example Cartuneman :D can't wait to see the rest, i think some amazing things are gonna come out of this thread, thanks very much for posting the thread Canvasian :D

I didn't mean to take over your thread Canvasian, it's just my bad manners lol :p

Madge
07-24-2009, 07:08 AM
That's a fun idea - a bit like real-life scraperboard art in essence. I use the eraser a lot for edge work so I might well have a go - just don't hold your breath! ;)

Silentman
07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Well here's my contribution :)

Enjoy

Canvasian
07-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Wonderfully done everyone! Keep'em coming! Very original Silentman, I like the symmetry and the bright contrast :) here's mine (finally)... hasn't rained here in awhile :( grey-blue canvas covered in dark blue chalk...

Canvasian
07-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I saw this and had to do one...I am always working with light and dark in all my work and so Voila! this is mine "A Winter Scene" a 3 minute doodle white chalk on the chalk board and erased to reveal a contrast picture. Hope you all like it ..Is this what you are asking for Canvasian ? I have done this before but using different colors and then just erasing the contrast out it's a total fun idea. thanks

Yep, that's right :) this is great for 3 minutes o.O edges are much sharper than I would expect for an eraser. Good job ^^ Snowscape is so appropriate for the white chalk.

Canvasian
07-24-2009, 08:40 PM
That's a terrific example Cartuneman :D can't wait to see the rest, i think some amazing things are gonna come out of this thread, thanks very much for posting the thread Canvasian :D

I didn't mean to take over your thread Canvasian, it's just my bad manners lol :p

Haha, not a problem Silentman :) Madge, I'm looking forward to seeing something from you! ^^

Silentman
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks Canvasian, that was so much fun i think i'll do another, the rain looks excellent, well done :)

Come guys this is heaps of fun :D

Krondelo
07-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Cool idea, I'm sure some of you already know this but erasing with Background colors is a great way to paint shapes, infact thats the only way I paint now. ;)

Lee
07-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Dear Canvasian, good idea here!! don't know if this counts or if i should even post it as it is so crude,,, anyway, while being derilict in my duties, did this quicky, it is layers of color and simple eraser lines, merged the layers to the bottom, read once there is a fabric, i think from Peru, that is layers of colored fabric cut away,,,:)

Silentman
07-25-2009, 11:24 PM
That looks crazy Lee and i love it haha :)

flint
07-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Eraser flower. I used stencils and layers. Thanks, this is a fun challenge.

Silentman
07-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Oh i love the vibrant bright yellow flowers, excellent :D

cartuneman
07-26-2009, 01:33 AM
the last one with the bright yellow flower is cool!!!!

Chibi J
07-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Playing with the glitter tool and I seem to have done a bird

weeun
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM
I am not entirely sure why, Chibi J, but your bird makes me think about tribes and chieftains and indians. :o

It is lovely. The simplicity of it, makes it seem so much more beautiful.

Canvasian
07-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Lee, great submission, a lot more colors than I would expect from eraser only :) for some reason, it makes me think of a lion ;;o_O weirdness.

Flint, your flower is great. The contrast / brightness of it is really amazing!

Chibi, I have to agree with Weeun that your bird made me think of indian tribes... perhaps the straight lines and the fact that the lines are broken / disconnected in some places makes us think of indian paintings / war paint? Good submission, in any case :)

Well done everyone, it's been awesome seeing everything that has come of this. Keep'em coming!

Silentman
07-27-2009, 03:29 AM
Agreed, it's like a tribal mark or flag or something, very nice :D

As we can see fellow Ragers, eraser only art is heaps of fun, lets see some more offerings, don't miss out on the fun Fun FUN :D

Raybrite
07-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Just couldn't resist the kid in me. Two layers of paint and the eraser used on the top one. (I need lots of practice.)

Chibi J
07-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Here is another glitter picture

Lee
07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Dear Chibi, Very cool, like sand art, sprinkle the glitter on the ground and trace your finger to make a design, almost has an Aztec look,,,:)

these are all very neat!!!:)

Illuminati
07-28-2009, 01:37 PM
here's mine i call it: 2 persons, 1 body

Canvasian
07-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Keeping to that indian look I see, Chibi... I love them both! ^^

Illuminati, I like the idea, and the sketchiness of the linework :D

Chibi J
07-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Arrrgh I can't sem to stop doing these things :D

cathyd
07-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Wow, what a great idea for a project! And what amazing contributions. Way to go guys! I did a quick textured scribble that I posted yesterday. It's a bit more than eraser, but I used the eraser in a single stroke to create the scribble and expose the base painting. I did the base painting a week or two ago and did not know where to go with it. So I ended up experimenting with a textured scribble, creating it with a technique sort of like the scratch off art projects in grade school. I think the eraser is a valuable tool, which is greatly overlooked in art. I used it a little in the past, but have begun to explore it more recently. I was so excited when I saw your project I wanted to post it. I hope you don't mind. I'll try to do an eraser only project too and post. I just love eraser work. : )

cathyd
07-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Okay, didn't have much time...in a hurry, but here's a quick one. I had a base painting that was a study in yellow I saved for when I knew what I wanted to do with it. I added a lace stencil and erased over the base with it. Voila! Here it is. I love fabrics anyway. Anyhoo, I'll try to do something a bit more extensive later. : )

Silentman
07-30-2009, 02:43 AM
There just great Cathy and Chibi.

lol sounds like a band or something, or maybe some soapy from way... back...

The Cathy & Chibi show YAY...... lol hehehe.

Don't mind me lol :o

cathyd
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Hah! LOL! Hehe! You're right. It does have a ring to it doesn't it? :D And thanks for your kind words, Silentman. ;)

Canvasian
07-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Glad to see you're still at it Chibi! Another great one! The purple and yellow are great colors for this. They have a lot of contrast, beyond simple black and white, since they're complimentary colors.

Cathyd, even though the texture painting is a bit out of the guidelines, I'm glad you shared it, it looks awesome :) did you use tube paint and chalk for that top layer? The lace one is really nice too. I haven't used stencils yet, but maybe I should look into them!

Canvasian
07-30-2009, 11:51 PM
There just great Cathy and Chibi.

lol sounds like a band or something, or maybe some soapy from way... back...

The Cathy & Chibi show YAY...... lol hehehe.

Don't mind me lol :o

*To the tune of "The Itcy and Scratchy Show"* "The Cathy & Chibi Shoooow~!" :D

Silentman
07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
LOol Canvasion http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

ridix
08-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Little more experiment with erasing method over number of layers. I erased away from top to bottom layer.

sandyg
08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Haven't posted in awhile I've been beta testing.,Just a grey and the Eraser a fun thread.

Silentman
08-02-2009, 12:57 AM
WoW how Bizarre Ridix, i like it, i really like abstract colourful vibrant things :)

Great detail on the Cat Sandy, good stuff :)

sandyg
08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you Silentman. This is chalk background originally.

Alexandra
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Sandyg, those are great!:)
Canvasion-this was such a challenge. Great idea!

sandyg
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you Alexandra.

Canvasian
08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Nice posts Sandyg! I like the cat best :) Thanks for participating everyone! ^^

libidee
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
A small pic of my teddy bear....

*Headdesk* Yep, i still have one!

foxytocin
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I have two...useing the eraser on an inverted stencil layered against a fullly colored background....with the music, the texture comes from the background surface paper selection and with the angular whatever you woud call it composition, the texture comes from the textured glitter medium....two drastically different effects....

Lee
08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Dear Foxy, just love that pinwheel fireworks picture, pretty and neat!!!:)

foxytocin
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks, Lee! It was great fun to make....reminds me of diachroic glass.

Lee
08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
,,,now darn it Foxy, i'll have to look up that word!!!! ;):confused::o:rolleyes::p:)

Thanks Foxy! found it, very pretty stuff!:)

foxytocin
08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Did I spell it correctly, Lee? Long, long ago in a glaxay far far away I did not have young children or quite as many obligations and had a brief stint learning how to make glass beads. That's how I learned about diachroic glass. It's very neat and in jewelry, a little bit can go a long way.

sandyg
08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Loved the firework abstract, looked like a catherine wheel firework. Great work Foxy.

Canvasian
08-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Some more erasings popped up while I was on my little break from artrage :P I like them all. The one on the black background from Foxy is really vibrant. I feel like it should be moving! The one on the sheet music was a good idea too. What song was it though? :D

The texture on the sweater of the teddy bear is great ^^ I remember when I was little I had a teddy bear with a little wreath on its stomach that played jingle bells when you squeezed it :P

romuch
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
hello!

here is my try. i drew a white sillhouette on a dark background, then erased to give it a 3D look.

sandyg
08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi romuch
Very good work with the eraser, that's really come out well.

Silentman
08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
That is totally awesome Romuch :D

Welcome to the family and i hope you enjoy your stay :)

romuch
08-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Turtleman
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Whoa using the Eraser is hard but I was up to the challenge. Took about 2hours of non stop work eye balling a reference image. Used the black board as the background which turned out nice, gives it a bit of depth.

Basically I painted everything white then started chiseling into the white with the eraser tool.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2760/earaserwomen.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/i/earaserwomen.jpg/)

Silentman
08-28-2009, 09:34 PM
woW and it turned out real good Turtleman :)

Turtleman
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
woW and it turned out real good Turtleman :)

Thanks silent, I think so too.

lolalot
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Here's what I tried.

Alexandra
10-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Wow, that is a great idea.:)

maxine904
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Lightsaber ZIONGGGG ZIGOING :):) good work man