PDA

View Full Version : Information

cripster
09-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi all

I don't know about the rest of you but i'd like to know from the artrage team how they came to be and how Artgage was born.

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now as one of the kids from school said where did artrage come from and who are the people that made it.

I hope the team don't mind me asking

Improv
09-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Hi all

I don't know about the rest of you but i'd like to know from the artrage team how they came to be and how Artgage was born.

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now as one of the kids from school said where did artrage come from and who are the people that made it.

I hope the team don't mind me asking

Some info here:

http://ambientdesign.com/company.html

D Akey
09-09-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh my. . .

I was buying the Rage family thing hook, line and sinker. Where in the world did that idea of a family business come from I wonder? I must have liked the idea to have constructed a whole thing around what was probably an offhand comment in some innocent thread.

Oh well. :roll:

Seasoned and talented professionals all.

ArtRage is a side venture then, planting a seed for young artists as it were?

Main thrust being engineering and NZ human resources?

Makes more business sense actually.

Well, you couldn't have made a better program to get kids into electronic art, with the donations of the program to local schools. Following the Mac model a little in that way.

Good luck with it all.

Improv
09-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Oh my. . .

I was buying the Rage family thing hook, line and sinker. Where in the world did that idea of a family business come from I wonder? I must have liked the idea to have constructed a whole thing around what was probably an offhand comment in some innocent thread.

I got a bridge you can have cheap-this week-end only. Going fast, better act now.... :P

D Akey
09-09-2006, 06:30 AM
There's a construction company called Adobe made up of a bunch of itinerant Spanish monks traveling throughout the Americas building towns out of mud.

Seemed like a bunch of dedicated guys with weird hair. Real estate being what it is in California, I bought their bridge. Should have said something sooner. It wasn't so cheap.

D Akey
09-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Um, perhaps it was because of this that I thought they were a real family.

Could confuse anybody. I forgive msyelf now. Heh.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5

cripster
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah but it still don't tell me how artrage was born :)

but very good info

thanks

Improv
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah but it still don't tell me how artrage was born :)

but very good info

thanks

On a fog shrouded December day on an iceberg in the North Atlantic. (I think...) :P

D Akey
09-09-2006, 08:55 PM
crisper, rather than just dealing with silence. . .

That kind of question might be more appropriate for a business that has been around for a long time and is impervious to start-up competition, like Disney or Amazon.

My guess is you're not going to get a detailed answer.

If I were to venture a guess based on the info in the bios, they started out with other companies, learned their chops and came together when those other situations were no longer suitable. They looked at what they could bring to the table, came up with a plan to fill a hole in the market, filled in the gaps on their team with others who could do what they couldn't and ventured out. The rest is work.

There are lots of business models out there to look at, all of them somewhat different. Some good, some bad, some unique to the opportunities presented at the moment.

Best advice, if you have aspirations in any direction, might be to land yourself a job somewhere in that field and learn everything there is to know about it as you develop your savvy through practical experience. (Just play down your big ambitions, lest you become a threat to your employers.)

Your good track record will give you more clout later when it's time for you to flex your muscles.

Take a good business course on the side (if you're an artist or programmer or something unbusinesslike). It will help more than I can tell you.

Good luck!

cripster
09-10-2006, 12:09 AM
true ohh well it just made me think about it

well i got a few answers

AndyRage
09-10-2006, 03:05 AM
The birth of ArtRage is a long story with it's roots in my first attempt at writing a painting program 22 years ago on a BBC micro computer with 32kb of ram.

Matt and I got together about 12 years ago and started work on 4D Paint (also known as Deep Paint 3D). We went on from there to work for MetaCreations. We worked on KPT 5, & 6 for them, and went on to Corel to do KPT 'effects' after MetaCreations vanished in a puff of 'eCommerce'.

While we were with MetaCreations and Corel we were developing the foundations for the painting technology which is in ArtRage.

Eventually we wrapped the painting technology into a simple-to-use interface, and released it as ArtRage 1. It was free to download and free to use. Microsoft in NZ gave us some technical assistance putting TabletPC optimizations into ArtRage 1, and that allowed us to enter it into the 2004 'Does your App Think in Ink' competition. Winning that went toward funding the development of ArtRage 2.

The company Ambient Design is privately owned by Matt and I. We're passionate about the work we do. Dave is our QA and general IT administrator, Mike works on a contract basis doing software development for Ambient Design (we do other projects apart from ArtRage as well).

The funds from ArtRage 2 are fueling further development of ArtRage, rather than going to an anonymous Board of Directors or Shareholders. Decisions about the software are made by the people who are passionate about it, rather than a committee who just want to meet quarterly revenue targets.

If you want to know the technical bits about ArtRage:
It's developed entirely in C++. We use our own UI toolkit (called Goblin) which allows us to write one application code-base, and have it compile for the MacOSX and Windows without having to re-rewrite any code.
There are probably over 8 man-years of development time in ArtRage (a man-year is what one developer would do in an 8 hour day, 5 days a week, for a year) (I wonder how many litres of coffee that equates to...)

cripster
09-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks Andy that answers all my Q's re Artrage, on that note i'll let the matter fade away i'm happy now.