PDA

View Full Version : Palette Necessary?

Zoom
09-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi, I just downloaded ArtRage 2 Free Edition and was wondering if a palette is necessary to make decent drawings. My hand is shaky when it comes to drawing with a mouse.

I'm a total beginner with drawing, but I've worked with Photoshop before, if that counts for anything ;) Any basic help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

D Akey
09-06-2006, 01:06 AM
The default palette, which gives you pretty much all colors, should be fine. I use the custom palettes for limiting and returning to colors, not for expanding color choices. Everybody works differently.

So you're in business right off the bat.

One of the Rages (authors) or other users will be able to give you more detail on how it works. If you sift through the posts you will find a lot.

Also perhaps check out the tutorials.

I say just dive in and start. Ease will come from doing it. It's designed to be a fairly simple program, and so it is.

Enjoy and welcome!

PVIllustration
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
well, since you mention a shaky hand using a mouse, I presume you meant 'tablet' and not pallette.

I've seen some very nice pictures done with the mouse so I wouldn't say is absolutely necessary, but it does feel more natural and after a while it becomes second nature to use. There are some cheap ones out there if your budget is limited, and I personally couldn't live without one now.

Besides using a tablet/pen is much less grind on your wrist than using a mouse.

If you indeed meant palette, then I'm sorry and D Akey gave good advice. :)

D Akey
09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
hahah.

No, I think you're right PV. And your advice is good.

You did well to pick up on what he probably meant. Bravo. We're artists and illustrators. We shouldn't need words afterall. Confusing ambiguous things.

And if I'm wrong about this, then I was right and I gave good advice.
:oops: :lol:

sweeneymini
09-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Welcome :D

Another point: with a graphics tablet you can control the pressure with the tablet's pen and on top range ones you can also control the tool angle. With a mouse you can only change the pressure when your not painting.

Zoom
09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
lol sorry about that, yes, I did mean tablet!

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to hold off on the tablet and just get used to the program first ;)

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just for future reference, anyone recommend a specific type of tablet? Or is there already a thread about it?

sweeneymini
09-08-2006, 06:55 AM
lol sorry about that, yes, I did mean tablet!

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to hold off on the tablet and just get used to the program first ;)

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just for future reference, anyone recommend a specific type of tablet? Or is there already a thread about it?

http://wacom.com/ are the best. The Graphire range are great, its what I have, though if you can afford it the Intuos are even better.