06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
references allowed;) but only when you really need them
here's mine (still need to colour though):

flyashy
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
erm...what's a Goten (dbz)?

Juhoover22
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Goten is a person from the cartoon series called Dragon Ball Z. Though I never really watched the show ^_^

Illuminati
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
erm...what's a Goten (dbz)?
oh sorry.. yeah its a person from manga series dragonball z. i already thought nobody would know, there are not so much manga artists on here...

Goten is a person from the cartoon series called Dragon Ball Z. Though I never really watched the show ^_^
yup your right^^

Someonesane
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Ah yes... DBZ. I remember getting up at 6:00am on the weekends to watch it when it used to be FOX (long before Cartoon Network had picked it up). Here's my image (100% AR):

SCP
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Great work Someonesane!:cool::)
I never got into DBZ.I prefered Robotech/Macross,Cowboy Bebop etc and anime movies.
Anyway Illuminati good idea and nice work.;)

mmog37
06-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll have to paint it later...but I did a quick sketch of Gotenks (Goten & Trunks merged together), I'm fairly new so I can't post pics yet but I added it to my photos on the artrage network =)

Someonesane
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Great work Someonesane!:cool::)

I'll have to paint it later...but I did a quick sketch of Gotenks (Goten & Trunks merged together), I'm fairly new so I can't post pics yet but I added it to my photos on the artrage network =)

Welcome to the forums mm0g37. New members can't post links, but you should be able to attach the image directly to your post using the "Manage Attachments" at the bottom of the posting window.

mmog37
06-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Here it is...BTW Nice Work Illuminati & Someonesane

Illuminati
06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Ah yes... DBZ. I remember getting up at 6:00am on the weekends to watch it when it used to be FOX (long before Cartoon Network had picked it up). Here's my image (100% AR):

someonesane:D i figured you would join this^^ looks really great! love how you did the energy ball:) btw how did you get the colours like that?

Here it is...BTW Nice Work Illuminati & Someonesane
looking great! and thx^^ btw you're going to upload goten too right?

Someonesane
06-16-2009, 05:32 PM
someonesane:D i figured you would join this^^ looks really great! love how you did the energy ball:) btw how did you get the colours like that?

I'm not sure if you are referring to the colors of the energy ball or the image as a whole, so I'll just give a basic overview of the entire thing :D.

First, I used the "Cell" Preset so the Paper Grains would be nice and smooth. After sketching the image with the pencil tool, I "inked" over the pencil layer on a new layer using the Felt Pen with it's settings adjusted to the following:

Pressure: 50%
Softness: 80%
Wetness: 100%
Art Pen: ON

Once inked, I hid the pencil layer and created a new layer beneath the ink layer and used the Felt Pen again (same settings as above) to color in the base colors for the figure, using a separate layer for each item. By making stencils of the color fills, I masked the areas and then added the shadows and highlights (again, on separate layers).

For the energy ball, I used the circle shape stencil in the default stencils to mask the area I wanted to fill in and used the Airbrush to color it in. I set the Stencil to "Guide Mode" when I added in the center white area, so that the stencil wouldn't cut the edges off of the Airbrushes line. I then used the Ruler (also set to Guide Mode) to do the energy rays that are being emitted from the ball. I changed the Airbrush tools Taper Length settings to different percentages, so that the rays would come to a point as I drew them out away from the ball. I then went back over the blue lines I made with white, using the same tapering technique.

With the energy ball created, I decide to highlight Goten with a blue hue, so I merged all of the layers that were used to color him in and made a stencil from that layer. I created a new layer above the merged color layer and used the Airbrush tool with a low pressure to start coloring in the stencil area, adding more color to the area closest to the energy ball. I then changed that layers color Blend Mode to Color Dodge and adjusted the Opacity setting to where I thought it looked best.

For the background, I just colored it in blue and then used the Crayon and Airbrush at various settings to add in the clouds and highlights.

Illuminati
06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure if you are referring to the colors of the energy ball or the image as a whole, so I'll just give a basic overview of the entire thing :D.

First, I used the "Cell" Preset so the Paper Grains would be nice and smooth. After sketching the image with the pencil tool, I "inked" over the pencil layer on a new layer using the Felt Pen with it's settings adjusted to the following:

Pressure: 50%
Softness: 80%
Wetness: 100%
Art Pen: ON

Once inked, I hid the pencil layer and created a new layer beneath the ink layer and used the Felt Pen again (same settings as above) to color in the base colors for the figure, using a separate layer for each item. By making stencils of the color fills, I masked the areas and then added the shadows and highlights (again, on separate layers).

For the energy ball, I used the circle shape stencil in the default stencils to mask the area I wanted to fill in and used the Airbrush to color it in. I set the Stencil to "Guide Mode" when I added in the center white area, so that the stencil wouldn't cut the edges off of the Airbrushes line. I then used the Ruler (also set to Guide Mode) to do the energy rays that are being emitted from the ball. I changed the Airbrush tools Taper Length settings to different percentages, so that the rays would come to a point as I drew them out away from the ball. I then went back over the blue lines I made with white, using the same tapering technique.

With the energy ball created, I decide to highlight Goten with a blue hue, so I merged all of the layers that were used to color him in and made a stencil from that layer. I created a new layer above the merged color layer and used the Airbrush tool with a low pressure to start coloring in the stencil area, adding more color to the area closest to the energy ball. I then changed that layers color Blend Mode to Color Dodge and adjusted the Opacity setting to where I thought it looked best.

For the background, I just colored it in blue and then used the Crayon and Airbrush at various settings to add in the clouds and highlights.
ok thx just one question: how do you use stencils?

Someonesane
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
ok thx just one question: how do you use stencils?

I recall you saying you have the full version of ArtRage, correct? If so, you should be able to open the Stencil Panel by clicking on the Stencils tab at the bottom of the ArtRage screen (see point A). You can then load an existing stencil from the Stencil Panel menu (see point B) or import an image to use as a stencil (see point C). You can also create a stencil from a layer you have painted on by right clicking (or selecting the gray triangle) the layer to open the Layer Menu (see point D) and selecting the "Make a Stencil From This Layer" option (see point E). Once you do this, a stencil will be created around the painted area of the layer (see point F). You can then make changes to the stecil using the Move, Scale and Rotate options located near the Stencils tab (see point G).

I also have a couple videos on YouTube that may help: Link 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWTeU5klsHI) - Link 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5GO08M7rk)

Illuminati
06-17-2009, 03:05 PM
ok thx i get it^^