PDA

View Full Version : New Kid On The Block

joy
08-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi all,
I am the new kid on the block so thought that I woul introduce myself......I live in Australia and paint in watercolours and am learning pastels....I am anxious to learn to use this programme so hope that I can get help on getting started ....I have never used a programme like this before.

Thanks in advance :D
Joy

ingie01
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Welcome Joy,
You should be very happy here. Just ask a specific question or post a work and youre hooked up!
(really resisting a word play with your name)

Fashmir
08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Welcome Joy! You have joined a great bunch of people from all over this little rock we live on. Glad you've come. I love your name too. :)

joy
08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Hello ingie and Fashmir,
Many thanks for your very kind welcome......I printed a sky tutorial by Sweedie last night and will give it a go today.....I have never used a programme like this before so I guess that I will be all fingers and thumbs to start with.
I haven't got a Tablet to work on ...is it necessary to have one???
As I am new I will post one of my watercolour paintings just this once
Thanks in advance
Joy

ingie01
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Having a tablet is like using stretched canvas instead of canvas board that's a lame comparison, I can't do without mine. Do you need it, probably not after looking at your skills with a mouse. You would benefit from having a tablet.

joy
08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Inge,
Thanks for the reply...what tablet do you reccomend???
I tried to do a lesson today but I got nowhere as half the things I needed to do it dont work on the free edition and I dont want to buy until I try
Oh Hum..... maybe I'm in the wrong place eh?????
Joy

maror
08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Happy welcome joy!

Very nice watercolorpaintig...
in fact i hate watercolors i never used them again since school. the are many people like you wich can handle them much better....

i have painted for a half year with the mouse in artrage 1... it works. but since i get a tablet (wacom intous 3 A5) i will never paint with the mouse again 8)
my tip: buy a good tablet and not cheap one!

greez and have good start in here

maror

sweeneymini
08-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Joy, welcome :D

The tutorials are a good way to see features available in ArtRage
http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragetutorials.html

If you look for a graphics tablet, its recommended that a Wacom tablet is the way to go:- http://www.wacom.com/

I have an A6 Graphire 4, which is about the entry level for tablets. A tablet lets you control the pressure of your brush strokes and does make drawing curves and details alot easier. I'm probably still better at doing straight lines with the mouse though.