PDA

View Full Version : Free 3D Program

sweeneymini
08-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Daz are giving away Bryce version 5 free atm:-

http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/bryce5free.php

I haven't got my reg code yet, but I have v4 and thats cool :)

D Akey
08-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey, thanks sweeneymini!

Why are they giving it away?

I'm downloading it right now for my Mac, in case they change their mind. :-)

I may join later, once I find out what they're doing. Is everyone who is into 3D going to more pro level programs and they want to build up a new client base?

What's the learning curve on this one?

Are they doing the same thing with any other programs?

Gee. this is different, isn't it. Like the Tessla Coils of 3D rendering.

maror
08-23-2006, 10:09 PM
i have it also down and i must say...hmmmmm
first impression:

bryce is bryce.... many user would do many nice images but if you want more controll you must search (maybe there are many hidden settings) or chance the prog with more controlls! For myself i didn't like that colorfull interface...it looks good but it haven't a good handling! just my 2 cent in a first view....

maybe i can use it for trees or so

greez

maror

sweeneymini
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
They're giving it away because version 6 is close to being released. Daz are quite generous with stuff; I got version 4 free on a cover disc when version 5 came out.

I have to say at first I was a bit confused with using it, but once I'd scanned the manual and done a couple of tutorials I find it very easy to use. And the menu auto hides at the top of the screen. That confused me the most actually :oops:

Its primary use is for making landscape and buildings I think.

Tutorials are here:
http://www.daz3d.com/support/tutorial/index.php?tut_cat=10&view_mode=newest

ingie01
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I have found that Bryce is just a notch under pro quality. More for hobbyists like myself. On the other hand Animation:Master by Martin Hash is pro quality in a hobbyist price range. I use both.
Can't have too many toys!

Fashmir
08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey Ingie, I'm a long time user of Hash software myself. I started out back when it was called "Playmation" in the early 90's.

sweeneymini
08-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I have found that Bryce is just a notch under pro quality. More for hobbyists like myself. On the other hand Animation:Master by Martin Hash is pro quality in a hobbyist price range. I use both.
Can't have too many toys!

Aye, you cant have too many toys definate :D

I wanna get Moho. This course - http://www.eclecticacademy.com/newclasses.htm#basicMOHO gives you a discount :D

You dont get to buy Moho until course starts though so I'm waiting till the day before the course and crossing everything that is dont go up in price before then. Otherwise, I wont be able to afford it :cry:

sbug51
08-27-2006, 07:30 PM
daz does that cause afterwards you have to buy the models from them! sorry i didn't read all of the post, so maybe someone did post this info not sure

justG
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
No, you don't have to buy any models from Daz at all. Bryce is touted as a terrain generator / landscape renderer but it's a basic 3D modeler as well that has a lot of power under the hood for a patient person. Its interface is typical Kai: innovative, not necessarily intuitive.

One of Bryce's greatest criticisms has always been that Bryce output looks like Bryce. The product's been dead in the water for so long that no one's really done anything about that, except for a few enterprising artists. Look at Daz's own galleries, search DeviantArt for "bryce," or do a Google search, and you'll find not only landscapes (and other nature scenes like ships at [stormy] sea) that you would swear are the result of Vue (d'Esprit, once upon a time) or World Builder (that's not Animatek anymore, is it), but also the nearly photorealistic rendering of common objects, thanks to clever lighting and HDRI. I don't have the patience to exact that kind of performance from Bryce, but have great respect for those who do. I have enough love for it that I'm glad to see development isn't dead, and look forward to seeing what Daz do with v6.

By the way, join Daz's new(ish) ArtZone community and create your profile before 16 September (I think), and get the Bryce 5.5 upgrade for $20 (instead of $120). A good deal for 30% faster (I think) rendering and some other niftiness.

.g

sweeneymini
08-31-2006, 04:33 PM
By the way, join Daz's new(ish) ArtZone community and create your profile before 16 September (I think), and get the Bryce 5.5 upgrade for $20 (instead of $120). A good deal for 30% faster (I think) rendering and some other niftiness.

.g

Cool, thanks G 8)

BTW, I haven't got my code yet, but I haven't for another software prog neither so I think my ISP is acting up :roll: