PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a Tablet?

hoodoo
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
I am new to ArtRage but a long time doodler (read in: no actual talent) and I think I would have more success with a tablet. Price is a concern, but I am more concerned with features. For those of you that have tablets, what are the key things I should look for? I know I have seen pressure sensitivity as a "seller" on some tablets, does this matter? Those are the kinds of questions I have. Thanks.

Aged P
07-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi HooDoo,

Pressure sensitivity is important, buy the most levels you can afford.

Tilt detection is a nice extra, but you can live without it.
Works well with the Pencil and the Airbrush.

Watch out for systems that look cheaper than you expect, when the nib wears down you may have to rebuy the whole thing.

A lot of people use tha Wacom Intuos3, including me. but there are bargain buys which will also do the job well.

The pad size depends more upon what desk space you have than anything else.

There are a lot of Pros on here who know everything about this.
My answers are based on my experience in changing from traditional amateur painting to ArtRage.

ENCHANTER
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
i got the cheapest Wacom, Volito 2....
its a great value starter, but great for learning pen and tablet,

but i think the nib has starting to wear........

but would rather have an A5 Wacom, Intuos 3..saving up for it :D

thesleepless
07-26-2006, 08:15 PM
i've got an A6 wacom graphire2 which works nicely (until i lost the pen, waiting for my replacement now)

the intuos looks lovely but a bit out of my price range unfortunatly, but supports tilt and has airbrush pens etc

i prefer the smaller sizes, i've used the larger ones but i find it harder to use, but i suspect it depends on your style

Improv
07-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi HooDoo,

Watch out for systems that look cheaper than you expect, when the nib wears down you may have to rebuy the whole thing.

A lot of people use tha Wacom Intuos3, including me. but there are bargain buys which will also do the job well.

Wacom tablets (Graphire, Intuos and Cintiq) have replaceable nibs and pens if needed. I ordered a replacement pack of 3 Graphire nibs (just in case) for $5.00. Cheap insurance! :-)

Here's the link for Wacom replacement parts:

http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/tab_accessories.asp?

_
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I have the Wacom Intuos 3. Used to use a Graphire a few years ago. THe Intuos is definately a more solid product. I always had problems with getting a solid line down on the Graphire due to poor tilt control.

My only annoyance is I got the 6x11" tablet without realizing that it'd draw an oval instead of a circle on my square monitor. :?

Selby
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
hi _ .....um actually there is a bit in the manual about that you can change it from oval to circle -apparently you need to check the 'force proportions' box in your wacom settings there are more instructions 0n page 41 of the pfd manual.hope this helps

Selby

justG
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
What to look for in a tablet: the words "Wacom" + "Intuos" + "3"

=]

.g

hoodoo
07-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will definitely go Wacom. It seems pretty easy and inexpensive to obtain replacement parts. I just can't justify the cost of a Intuos3. I can't seem to find it less than $200.