PDA

View Full Version : paypal/xchange?

halley
07-15-2006, 02:12 AM
I know you're trying to help people who could not use the Kagi storefront for whatever strange reason. I'm happy you added a second alternative. On the front page, you say this "xchange" store system will accept paypal.

But am I just being overly picky when a storefront starts asking for my birthdate? Ask the minimum number of questions to get me my product and finish the financial transaction. Nothing else. Nothing as private as to know exactly when my mom happened to go into the obstetrics ward of the hospital. It's labeled as a required field, though I have no idea why, certainly not for this product.

As such, I have for the SECOND time dropped an attempt at giving you some money so I can download your product. Hope you can sort it out.

AndyRage
07-15-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm not certain exactly what xchange's policy on that is. But because it's a financial transaction they may be using your birthdate as an added verification you are the purchaser, if at a later stage you request support or need to re-download the software.
I dont imagine it's anything more than that.
Some banks here ask for things like mother's maiden name, or similar. It's just an additional means to verify you're the person making the transaction if you need to follow it up.

halley
07-15-2006, 04:05 PM
No, a legitimate financial transaction limited to purchasing does not need those data points. A financial relationship that manages my funds might.

This is just eXchange's way of getting more marketing information, and as such, I will not play that game. It appears eXchange wants to be more than a checkout system, but I am entirely uninterested in giving out my information-- I just want to buy your product.

I've commented to them about it. Perhaps if you also mention the complaint they will streamline the procedure for those only interested in the purchasing user case.

Or of course, you can start accepting PayPal directly.

AndyRage
07-15-2006, 09:01 PM
As time goes by we'll likely add other resellers. We're not set up ourselves to do retail sales.

Improv
07-16-2006, 06:01 AM
I know you're trying to help people who could not use the Kagi storefront for whatever strange reason. I'm happy you added a second alternative. On the front page, you say this "xchange" store system will accept paypal.

But am I just being overly picky when a storefront starts asking for my birthdate? Ask the minimum number of questions to get me my product and finish the financial transaction. Nothing else. Nothing as private as to know exactly when my mom happened to go into the obstetrics ward of the hospital. It's labeled as a required field, though I have no idea why, certainly not for this product.

As such, I have for the SECOND time dropped an attempt at giving you some money so I can download your product. Hope you can sort it out.

I see your point, but if you are worried about personal info such as age being harvested by marketing types, just enter any age at random. The marketing types will get the point when they see how many ArtRage users are 108 years young! :wink:

sweeneymini
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
...The marketing types will get the point when they see how many ArtRage users are 108 years young! :wink:

Aah but then they might think Art Rage is only brought by tortoises :P

indie
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Woohoo I'm not the only one worried about this! :D

I want to get this app, just discovered it today and am blown away by the quality/price of it. But... not sure its worth getting spam by phone or snail mail. I registered some domains awhile back and had this same issue, and am getting snail mail from them and their 'friends'.

They do NOT need to collect gender and d.o.b for PayPal! I just sent an email before finding this thread to support here requesting some alternative.

Heck they don't even need full postal address for this, as there is no product to ship! ambient could look me up on paypal anyway, I'm a verified merchant there. :?

I hope to get this sorted soon, if anyone has a solution please let me know.

---indie

DaveRage
07-31-2006, 02:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd give some information about eXchange's privacy policies regarding information. The full privacy agreement can be viewed here - http://ex.cgchannel.com/privacy.php

D Akey
07-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey, I'll talk about anything at 4 in the morning. . . ':roll:'

I too opted against eXchange for the same reason. . . they were asking for too much info.

Fortunately for me, I could use KAGI.

PayPal would have been good too. I've used them as well.

Somebody get the poor man his Full ArtRage2 for cryin out loud and pay the light bill. This program needs to keep rocking along!