PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use ArtRage on TabletPC?

lensblur
07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I use mine on a MacBook and a wacom Intuos. Does ArtRage work well on TabletPC? Or, another way round, is TabletPC useful for producing web graphics?

Thank you

Netdevil
07-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I have used it on one, and it works ok. However, the precision of the tablet pc is not comparable to the wacom tablet. It also lacks rotation detection on the pen.

lensblur
07-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Thank you. So to buy a tablet PC to be used with graphic applications is still not recommended, right? I would still get better result with a wacom, even with smaller footprint (6x8).

gberdan
07-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I use a Toshiba Tablet PC, and AR seems to work fine for me. I do not know all the technical things but I do see the pen rotations just fine on mine, as well as pressure sensitivity and textures.

drzeller
07-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I've the same experience as gberden. I use AR on a desktop with Wacom tablet, and I have two different Toshiba Tablet PC's (I have a gadget habit :wink:) - the M200 and M400. I find working with AR fine on the tablets, and in fact easier in some regards, though there is more pressure sensitivity on the Wacom. The benefit of the TPC is probably similiar to the benefits a Cintiq user has - you are using the pen right on top of your drawing - but the Cintiq, I believe, has the same sensitivity as the Wacom tablets.

By the way, I picked the Toshiba for, among other things, the high-res screen (1400x1050), which I think is much better for graphic work.

David

lensblur
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Actually, I am looking to get M400 for paintiing and drawing, as well as OneNote software which I have been using over the past couple of years (already!!). Would you recommend M400? Thank you in advance.

drzeller
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm obvioulsy predisposed to the M400 since I already bought one!

Some pluses to the machine:
* High resolution, wide viewing angle screen
* Available with dual core processor
* Built-in CD/DVD drive
* Decently built, and special harddrive shock protection
* Finger print reader
* Convertible (versus pure tablet) - that is a plus to me

Some cons:
* Not the lightest machine
* Some people experienced fans that ran on high (it seems most have not)
* Occassionally the screen does not wake up from standby - specific scenarios were found to cause, and work arounds are known.
* Occassionally the machine will "pause" for up to 30 seconds, seeminly related to IE, or more specifically, the security package that Toshiba installed and integrates with IE. Folks at my company recently tested a patch that seems to resolve this (no, I can't share it, sorry).

I like the machine. It is a good performer and has been very stable for me. If you are budget concious, you could look at getting minimal memory and harddrive, and then upgrading separately, as Toshiba does charge quite a bit for upgrading the specs on the machine.

David

gberdan
07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Drzeller summed it all up. I agree w/ him 100%.

Convertable Tablets rule! (other than the weight.... but that helps me keep my pimp hand Strong!) :twisted:

justG
07-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Don't quote me on this, and the Ambient Design team can set the record straight if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the original version of ArtRage was created for Windows Tablet PC edition. If I remember correctly, Microsoft had some sort of contest to publicise their *mumble* Ink or something *mumble* technology, and Ambient Design won with ArtRage.

That's the long, bumbling, half-arsed answer to "Does it work?" =]

That said, I don't have personal experience, but I think using a Tablet PC with ArtRage would be amazing. The portability alone! Man, I'd love to go sit in a park somewhere and just be able to pull out my Tablet PC and draw. But ya, the main difference is pressure sensitivity between a Tablet PC and a Wacom. *I* would think that would make a huge difference, but I would be wrong. I've seen galleries of work created on a Tablet PC using AR1, and... wow.

Much Googling later...

Okay, not crazy (yay).

ArtRage + Tablet PC
http://www.greenjem.com/

"Microsoft Corp. today announced that New Zealand-based Ambient Design Ltd., creator of ArtRage, is the $100,000 grand prize winner of the Microsoft® Tablet PC Does Your Application Think in Ink? contest..."
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/dec04/12-01tabletpcwinnerpr.mspx

drzeller, aaaanytime you get "bored" of that M400... =]

- Gita

cripster
07-06-2006, 03:55 AM
I got a drawing tablet from Dick Smith's for my PC and it works fine

DaveRage
07-06-2006, 05:13 AM
JustG's quite right, the original version of ArtRage was intended for the Tablet PC as well as desktops, and it's been our goal to continue to support that with ArtRage 2.

Netdevil
07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
My tablet pc is also a Toshiba M400 but the tilt do not work (at least in ArtRage). For example, if i use the airbrush it will always draw a circle.

drzeller
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
My tablet pc is also a Toshiba M400 but the tilt do not work (at least in ArtRage). For example, if i use the airbrush it will always draw a circle.

You are correct - the TabletPC does not support pen rotation.

Here is comparison of the TabletPC and the Cintiq, on Wacom's website. Note that Wacom provides the pen support to most of the TabletPC manufacturers.

http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/comparison.cfm

D.

Aged P
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
This is a great topic, thanks for all this info.

A Tablet PC has now vanished from my covet list.

gberdan
07-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I am kinda dumb on this "Pen tilt" :oops: . I have never used a real airbrush, and AR2 is the only "medium" I have ever worked with other than Photography.

Obviously I dont know what I am missing, but is there a way that the AR crew could develop a "work arround" for Tablet users to "dial in" the tilt they wanted?

Could sombody post and example so I might see what pen tilt is :?:

Aged P
07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Erm :oops:

There is a Tilt control on the Airbrush, middle dial.

I couldn't see the point of having an Airbrush, now I use it all the time!

gberdan
07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Duhhhhhhh, :shock:

I am soo poor i can't aford to pay attention. :oops:

I guess i should unhide the tool settings bar once in a while. Hehehe. Guess my secret is out i use the default settings all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me Aged P, and for the exampls of what everyone is talking about.

Now i may have to play with some settings and see what i can do now. (Thank god for "reset buttons") :D

drzeller
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes, AgedP, that is true. It is there for the mouse users as well as the TabletPC users. So, gberdan, no work around is actually needed since the functionality is already in the program. [Update: I was writing that when gberdan posted his response above!]

I guess the salient point would be that there is some difference between pen usage on a TabletPC versus a Wacom tablet or Cintiq.

D.

lensblur
07-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Well, I bought the TabletPC already (Toshiba M400). The screen resolution is a big plus. It's really mobile. But I still use a Wacom at home though (on a Mac).

royblumenthal
07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Aged P....

I don't quite know WHY a tablet PC has disappeared from your covet-list! Put it back on, man! If you think a Wacom tablet changed your life, try the tablet pc. It's unparalleled!

(I run mine most of the time with a Wacom tablet plugged in -- I haven't used a mouse in about three years. So when I NEED a Wacom tablet's functionality for my ArtRage, it's there. It's VERY rare that I need it though. The tools work fine with my tablet pc's pen.)

Blue skies
love
Roy

PS: The machine you DO covet should be Vista-ready. Be dead sure about that. Else you're buying immediate obsolescence. My Tecra M4 needs to have its graphics card pumped up to be Vista-ready, and that's gonna costs a pretty packet.

AndyRage
07-24-2006, 09:45 PM
The only problem with a TabletPC is that it doesn't support stylus tilt, which ArtRage uses for directionality of airbrush strokes.

Now a Cintiq is the ultimate toy - all the stylus control of a professional graphics tablet, with the drawing surface right on the screen. Drrooooolll!

Improv
07-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Now a Cintiq is the ultimate toy - all the stylus control of a professional graphics tablet, with the drawing surface right on the screen. Drrooooolll!

And if you want to see a Cintiq put thru it's paces by a pro, check out a dvd called Natural Media Painting with Jeremy Sutton. I got it as a freebee from Wacom. It was for a marketing quiz that I did. The DVD is in their Digital Innovator Series.

Although he uses Painter, you can follow his use of a Cintiq for a portrait that he did. Very interesting to watch how he uses a Cintiq.

francis
08-09-2006, 04:16 AM
I have been using Art Rage with a Toshiba Tecra M7 tablet PC - I love it.

Here's a silly painting I did today, using Art Rage and the Toshiba. I don't feel like I've given up a whole lot in terms of the fewer levels of pressure sensitivity, but maybe I'm just not delicate enough.. :lol:

http://www.teamgt.com/gallery/albums/junk-drawer/crazy_rudy.jpg

AndyRage
08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Woah! That picture rocks!
Fantastic stuff, Francis.

D Akey
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
The loose color style works really well with the sketchyness and economy of the drawing, making for a solid technique.

Bravo.

How much do you attribute, if anything, to your tablet in this case? Do you think it would have been as successful had it been drawn on a small, basic tablet for example?

francis
08-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks Andy! I love this program.

D - Thank you. As far as the tablet goes, a smaller one probably would have worked just as well. I use an Intuos 3 tablet with my desktop PC at work, and we test drove the new large Cintiqs a while back. There are some minor differences here and there among the three, but nothing I have found to be that big a deal in terms of productivity. I've been using the Wacom tablets for so long that it feels more natural to me to not have my hand in the way, hehe.