PDA

View Full Version : A bug? Whatever it was I lost 1 1/2 hours worth of work.

Collin
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm using the Mac version of Artrage 2.11 on a G5 running OS X 10.3.9.

I was working on an image using layers. I made the initial sketch, saved it and then exported it as a PSD. I did a bit more work with the layers in ArtRage, adding colors, etc. I hit command-S to save it. Then I opened my exported PSD in Photoshop because I was going to add some text and save the initial sketch as a JPG to track my progress with the image. I noticed that all of the color work that I had done in ArtRage was now in the PSD. I thought that was odd.

I turned off the color layers, made the JPG and then closed the PSD file without saving it.

I went back into ArtRage, wrote "Test" on one of the layers, re-saved it with Command-S. Re-opened the PSD in Photoshop and sure enough "Test" was there. So I figured that when I saved my ArtRage file, it must automatically update the PSD.

Not so much.

I quit out of the program after saving the last few color changes I made about 30 minutes worth of tweaking. I came back to it later and double clicked on the ArtRage file to start the program. It gave me an error (unexpected error code -10660) and failed to open the program. So I opened the program manually, loaded the .ptg file, and none of the color work that I had spent the last hour and a half on was there. It was just the initial sketch from the point when I first exported the PSD. I tried to open the PSD in ArtRage but nothing changed.

Somehow the program lost which file it was associated with after I exported the PSD, so every time I hit Command-S, it would re-export the PSD rather than update the .ptg file.

Anyone else have this happen?

AndyRage
06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Okay, I'll get Dave to add this to our buglist.
I'm very sorry you lost work - that's the worst sort of bug.

Hypnomedi
07-01-2006, 06:24 AM
" So I opened the program manually, loaded the .ptg file, and none of the color work that I had spent the last hour and a half on was there. It was just the initial sketch from the point when I first exported the PSD. I tried to open the PSD in ArtRage but nothing changed.
Somehow the program lost which file it was associated with after I exported the PSD, so every time I hit Command-S, it would re-export the PSD rather than update the .ptg file."

English is not my first language, so I hope I understood your problem.

You have automaticly saved to psd and therefore only updated the
psd file with ctrl s .
Always have to save as .ptg file too and than back as .psd for further savings.

I save always as 3 files.

picture.ptg
picture-backup.ptg
and picture.psd

And I save plenty of times. every bit paint I add and I like
I immediately save, so I avoid losing a file or work that had cost me
a lot time to work on.
+ after finishing I save the files also to a second HD!

Johan

Collin
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Crisis averted, sort of.

I decided that I was going to continue the drawing in Photoshop, so I opened the PSD and started working with it. I scaled it up a bit and, since I planned to work in vector shapes and couldn't duplicate the pencil work of ArtRage I deleted the layer that had the color pencil that I had lost in the original file. However before I got started on the shapes I wanted to give it a roller paint background so I saved the PSD, went back into ArtRage and imported the PSD thinking that it would be flattened and I would just paint over it, export it as something else, open it in PS, copy the layer to the working PSD and continue. I was surprised to find that it maintained the layers. So that means I could have imported the PSD originally and continued to work on it and nothing would have been lost. If I hadn't thrown away that one layer and saved. Oops.

Oh well. Live and learn.

---

Johan: Good point, however an "export" shouldn't change file associations. At least I don't think it should. I certainly didn't expect it to. Since the first file I saved, and continued to work on, was a PTG file, that is the file that the ctrl/cmnd-s should have been updating. Not the PSD I exported to. A "save as" usually does though. But you are right. I should have been making backups. Like I said, live and learn.

As it is I decided to continue in ArtRage after all. I'll post it in the gallery when it's done.

justG
07-03-2006, 03:00 AM
No, you make a good point though, Collin. It's a subtle but important distinction, I think, the Export vs Save As... behaviour, and I'd bet that most people would expect ArtRage to work "properly." That little thing is a paradigm shift that could leave loads of people confused, so perhaps it's something the dev team will consider changing. When using Save As... (lol, I typed an extra "s" instead of the ellipsis *giggle*) ArtRage should continue working on the saved as image. When using Export, though, ArtRage should continue working on the original after the export is complete.

- Gita

PVIllustration
07-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Pardon me for just thinking out loud here:

Would there be any use for a button called 'Save for Backup'?

Maybe in the preferences menu you could tick out what formats you would like the backup to save for you. For example backup in .bmp, .psd, .ptg etc. In that way with one press you could save multiple files that would be named incrementally (or after the parent file).

Maybe too much hassle for a thing that can be done pretty easily without a specified, but it does indeed suck losing work because of a faulty save or other errors.

justG
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
That's actually a really cool idea, I think. I don't know of any software that does that. One click, save to multiple formats, using presets for quality options where applicable (JPG, for example). So cool!

.g

Prawnsushi
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Yup, i'd like to have a double save feature too. No more worries, except if the hard-drive fails, that is. :roll:

Aged P
07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi,

That would be a pretty unique feature.

A shortcut key that also sent a third copy to your back up media would be cooler than a very cool thing!

bcmillustrator
07-06-2006, 06:38 PM
This enhancement sounds like a user macro.

If only there was a way to write a macros in ArtRage....

Brian

PVIllustration
07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
The more I think about it myself I like it even more. :)

Now, I know most of us have more than one harddrive, or atleast partitioned drives, so maybe one would imagine that you could set a path for each distintive backup file and/or format...?

Like this example:

the .ptg would go to:

D:\work\paintings\backup\paintingname\paintingname _xx.ptg

and the .bmp

would go to :

E:\BackUp\paintings\paintingname\paintingname_xx.b mp

and so on...

While saving you would ofcourse get feedback like: saving backup 1/3 (PTG)... 2/3 (PSD)... 3/3(BMP)

kynu
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I discovered this topic just now... but I noticed this bug right in the first week I used AR2 (in March). I had an exchange of letters with the big bug-hunter Dave... he said they will look after it. I haven't tried to reproduce the bug since then (I thought it had been solved in the point releases), but now I still can reproduce it.
I copy here the process what I wrote to Dave... I think this is the root of Collin's problem too.

1/ Open ArtRage
2/ Draw a stroke of paint (no matter if it's on a layer)
3/ Export the image as a PSD
4/ Now try to save the image just with "Save Painting" ... you won't
get any result
5/ Now paint another stroke and save with "Save Painting" ... Artrage
will save it
6/ open PSD with Photoshop, and you will see the previously exported
file with the newly painted (and saved) stroke.

The PSD file stayed (is this the good term?) in ArtRage! This
only happens with PSD export

AndyRage
07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Is this only on MacOSX, or is it the same for windows?

Aged P
07-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Andy,

Tried that on XP and got the same result.

AndyRage
07-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys - I'll make sure it's in the buglist for a later release.