PDA

View Full Version : Some Basic Questions

Ken1000
03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi. I just downloaded the demo version and have been playing with it,
using my mouse.

I have opened a picture of a flower and turned on the tracing paper.

While I can apply most of the art tools, I cannot get the wetness tool
to apply to any strokes I laid down. Is this tool disabled in the demo
version ? Also, I don't see any means of adjusting the "degree" of
wetness. (On the other tools, I see you can change both the size and
the pressure, but not for the wetness.)

Likewise, if I were able to apply "wetness", how would I apply
"dryness" at some later stage ?

Last question -- I am using a mouse. Is Artrage2 better suited for
a pen and tablet ?

Thank you for your help.

Ken

AndyRage
03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi Ken. I'm not quite sure which tool you're talking about - ArtRage doesn't have a 'wetness' tool as such. Some tools are wet and smeary, and some are dry.
The oil tool in the release version has the 'insta-dry' (I wanted to call it 'Instadry 2000', but I was overridden by the UI department...). That makes the oil tool apply instantly dried paint.
The felt-tipped marker pen tool also has a wetness value which affects how it interacts with colour and the canvas.

And yes, ArtRage is cool with a mouse, but totally rocks with a graphics-tablet. Tablets are cheap now - make sure you get one with pressure support, and if you can spare a few more dollars get one with tilt support as well. The airbrush tool is so much more useful with tilt support.

AndyRage.

Ken1000
03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Thank you for replying. The "wetness" tool I am referring to is
located at the lower left side of the screen, directly below the
chalk tool. It looks like a drop of water is coming from the end
of it. If this is not the "wetness" tool, please tell me it's proper
name and how to use it.

Thanks again.

Ken

AndyRage
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Ah, thanks - that's the eye-dropper tool for sampling colour from the canvas. It doesn't affect the wetness of the paint applied, but it does change the colour of the paint applied.
To sample colour with the eye-dropper, select tool, then click anywhere in the canvas (or in reference images) to select the colour.

Here's a tip for you: If you're using one of the painting tools, you can press the <alt> key on Windows, or the <option> key on OSX, and click to sample colour without having to switch to the eye-dropper tool.
If you like, you can set aside a small portion of your canvas for colour-mixing, and sample from there with the eye-dropper while you work. Or capture that section of the canvas using the menu option in the colour picker for creating custom colour pickers and use that as a source of colour.

AndyRage.

Ken1000
03-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I'll play around with this
some more and probably purchase this software.

Ken