PDA

View Full Version : Elevator to my Skull

calzgal
04-17-2008, 01:31 AM
:D I was listening to "The Kills" today, it's all their fault. :wink:

I'll be using an interesting collection of tools to create this so I thought I'd share the process through screen grabs for a final tutorial.

I'll be using my scanner, real paper samples, pencil/paper, camera, vintage blueprints, velum drawings and, as a reference, the fabulous book: "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblet.

First step was of course the sketch. Fast and loose during the few free moments at the office.
I then searched out vintage blueprints of elevators via google for reference and photo manipulation..er RAGEmanipulation. :D

I cut out the blueprint of choice and applied it to the sketch for a simple reference.

calzgal
04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
I then grabbed a handful of paper sample books and found the color palette, shredded the paper, laid the strips out on the scanner glass and scanned a couple of different passes for layer manipulation and affects for a final canvas build.

calzgal
04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Scan2

calzgal
04-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Multiple layering, and fidling with the variations of layer affects within ArtRage2 allowed me to build my final canvas at 17 X 24 inches.

calzgal
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
So, the next step will be creating the rest of the art inside ArtRage2.
I plan on using multiple tools, and my final goal is a fine art looking illustration with photo-depth, and tactile feel of art crayon and oils.

That's the plan anyway.... 8)

Will post iteration grabs and notes as the process unfolds. I'm quite excited about this one.

At the end of this exercise I'll make available free downloads of paper, stencils, texture photos and other presets that comes of this project.

Cheers!

RobertSWade
04-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Well Kathy, that's a fascinating process and an ambitious goal. Somehow, I'm sure you'll accomplish it though. :) Good of you to share it with us. I'm sure the developers are well pleased that you're using ArtRage to pull all of this together.

calzgal
04-19-2008, 05:06 AM
I found the perfect photo to add to the flavor of the piece.

calzgal
04-19-2008, 05:12 AM
I duped the broken glass to four different layers, then continued to flip, rotate and affect the layer preferences until I found the look. I then merged those four into one layer and created a blank layer at 65% overlay between the base canvas and broken window.

2 hours of painting later (and one merge layer, sorry, meant to keep them seperate for the screen grab) I find myself here, not quite ready for an elevator, but getting close...

D Akey
04-19-2008, 05:14 AM
The naked graphic designer unleashed! Peel back the layers of a designer and there's color, shape and a designer's core.

ubuntu
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Very creative!!!!!!!! I love this.

pai
04-20-2008, 03:42 AM
Very interesting work and process. :)

screenpainter
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Definitely inspiring to see the process. Thanks. :D

ScottF
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Im going to keep my eye out for this one! I appreciate the time you took to share your work process with us. Such tutorials always open up new ways to accomplish great effects.

calzgal
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
2 more hours of painting.
Continueing to build up layer 2 and the skeleton coloring/texture.
Layer3 is now the elevator shaft.

Using both Crayon and oil Crayon.

Will post up a more thorough screengrab of the current layers and interface settings.
I'm at work right now, waiting on client approval. :D Which gave me time for the real art.

Belvrog
04-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Great idea and good progression. Looking forward to see it finished. The skelettons quality is very promising

calzgal
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Continuing paint and photo manipulation and subtraction.
Notice my color palette is now a warm plate. To stay true to my colors I now create a custom palette directly from the painting. I'm feeling confident on the scheme and rely on my past effort build upon.

calzgal
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Now for the cool colors! Again a custom palette is created from the background to get a group of blue and blue/green.

Building up a strong depth contrast and adding a bit of cool colors to the skeleton structure.

calzgal
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
What's a designer without a bit of typography? :D :wink:

I did use Photoshop to check levels and color values for true and as an FPO for typography placement. There's a bit of "work around" methodology to stay out of photoshop. I was able to do 99% of E2MS within the artrage application.

Illustrator was used generate a vector based typography which was then dragged/dropped into the photoshop FPO file. I save that. Opened ArtRage and imported that into it's own layer.

Thoughts and critiques are most welcome, as I can't learn without my collegue's considerations!

Thanks!

ScottF
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Better and better! The palettes are incredible.