PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Ticks

Aged P
06-22-2006, 07:54 AM
There is something wrong with this Forum from a software point of view.

Several of us have raised it before, now we have so many new people let's have another poll on the problem.

I contact the site by clicking a short cut key.
I sign in.
Cookies are enabled, so the "sign in" is remembered.
All unread stuff has ticks indicating this.
I look at a few of them.
I then click away to another site.
Then I click back again via the shortcut key on the keyboard.
I get back to the Forum and I am still signed in.

But!!!!!!

All the "Unread" ticks have now vanished!

Anybody else experiencing this?

Andie
06-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Um, yes, I get that too, got it just now. I went away, came back and found your post was 'ticked' but I had lost all the others.

I think it may be just showing ticks for posts that have arrived since you were last 'active' perhaps?, don't suppose it is keeping note of what you have read and what you haven't.

Andie

sbug51
06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
yeah it happens to me as well, all kind of forums (of thephpbb something) got this problem, even if you get a crash (my lovely crash computer! fixed it alot but no hope i guess even a hardware check damn it!!) even if you close it and open another website and get back to it, also when you enter another site in the same browser and click back... i think i am used to all kinds of crashes and bugs and stuff, so i am not finding any difficulty dealing with it, lol!!! :D yeah(:cry:).... so cheers!

drzeller
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Same here. If I don't read everything during a visit, I can't tell where I left off on the next visit.

It's kind of like it just keeps track of postings since your last "active visit" to the site, and not by forum or message.

D.

Selby
06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
yep me too- got very confused when i first came here as it seemd as if things vanished but after a while i realised they just got unticked

Selby

ENCHANTER
06-22-2006, 10:45 PM
me three :)

my memories not brilliant
and if i need to do someting else on the net,

i come back and i cant remember whcih ones ive looked at,
but the ticks are all gone :?

so ive probably missed looking at some paintings

DaveRage
06-23-2006, 05:00 AM
The default behaviour for this, in my experience when I try it is:

Open the forums url at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums - Note that there are ticks for posts you have not read.

Enter one of the forums ( say General Chat, if you have unread threads in there ) and read the unread threads.

Go back to the forum index, refresh if need be. General Chat tick will now clear. Other ticks remain.

If I go to another site, then come back at this point, the same ticks remain. This appears to be the one we're getting different results with, so I'll try longer periods and see what happens, and do some research on this.

Close the browser. Reopen the browser and open the forum index url again. All ticks cleared.

( IE 6 - Windows XP Pro SP2 )

AndyRage
06-23-2006, 05:58 AM
I've also had it occasionally lose the tickmarks.

As a saving grace, you can check the post date and time of the topmost few topics in each forum, and roughly work out which ones you've yet to read.

justG
06-24-2006, 08:04 PM
So I've been busy for a few days, didn't get a chance to drop in. I accidentally (subconsciously, probably) clicked on the bookmark for the forums instead of right-clicking as I intended, which brought me to the forums' main page. I immediately closed the window or clicked away or whatever. When I dropped in earlier today, phpBB said that my last visit was yesterday. Except, of course, I didn't actually read anything while I was here, did I. So everything was accordingly unticked, except for posts made since yesterday. Grr.

This is, indeed, a problem with phpBB and is not in any way unique to the ArtRage forums. Actually it's not even unique to phpBB. One of the forums I frequent is run on ASP, and its session management is even worse than phpBB's.

- Gita

Aged P
06-27-2006, 09:09 PM
The ticks had all vanished .
I half drafted an earnest post and then thought "Oh life's too short to worry about tracing!"
So I deleted the content and hit the Forum Index short cut.

All of the active ticks reappeared!

Could be a coincidence, so I'll try it again when it next happens.