PDA

View Full Version : Color Mixing and Scumbling questions

Nolita
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi,

New here. Downloaded ArtRage1 ages ago, and almost immediately did this: http://www.deviantart.com/view/14873818/. I was reading and practicing from an instructional book on tonal contrasts at the time, and had been wanting to try some way of scumbling digitally. It's really a doodle that turned into an experiment, so the composition's lacking, and I'd lose the cherries(but wanted to experiment with that hue).

A friend of mine told me that Ambient Design created the mixing pallette in Painter(and I love Painter, and it's mixing pallette), so I can't figure why the colors don't mix like in Painter's mixing pallette(unless it has something to do with Corel owning the mixing pallette or something).

See, I started this: http://www.deviantart.com/view/22256033/ in Painter. It was coming out too smooth and polished. He's actually very rugged looking in RL and photos, and I was really dissapointed. Also, was having a lot of trouble with painting lines and furrows. I took it to ArtRage, thinking it would be a perfect solution(I could build up using the colors present in the painting in progress. Problem is the colors don't mix like in the mixing pallette(but I know this isn't Painter, just wishing it was like the mixing pallette in Painter). Strange hues pop up out of nowhere, and the tones don't mix quite right.

So now I'm wondering, because I know that scumbling works well with two or more tones of the same hue, is the mixing better in the full version?

Like, will I be able to blend and scumble contrasting shades? Like how a pale green/turquoise shade is an awesome highlight for reds, and blue's normally an awesome shader for oranges. I had some success in ArtRage1, but still, wasn't 100%. Or do I just need to practice more?

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 10:07 PM
The colour mixing in ArtRage 2 does work differently to the mixing in Painter's mixing palette. Neither version is correct so far as a comparison to actual real-world paint colours work. The reason for choosing the method we did for ArtRage was to give a more likely probablility for novice painters of getting a colour and look close to what they wanted. In real-world paint-mixing - lets face it - most colour combinations come out looking like mud.
We're looking at putting the option for real-world colour mixing in a later release of ArtRage.

Nolita
06-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Thankyou,

I'll just save my pennies then. I think maybe I should try to get really good with the free version before jumping into the full one, since I'd get all side tracked with so many new options(like when using Painter or Photoshop).

MW
06-24-2007, 03:25 PM
I am an Art Rage 2 user and wondered if there are there any plans to allow the user to switch to the real-world way of mixing paint when needed. I like the way Art Rage mixes except when you are mixing yellow and blue and expect green. I suppose being able to paint the same way light combines is cool really as rainbows for example or washing a scene with a colour are easier if you use additive mixing of colours. Overall I'm happy with the software and particularly like the palette knife tool.

Martin

AndyRage
06-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I know.... I know...
ArtRage's colour mixing definitely has some issues with colours opposing each other on the hue wheel.

When I first wrote the ArtRage colour mixing pipeline I wasn't especially well-versed in colour-theory. I'm older, wrinklier, and more experienced now so a future version of ArtRage will definitely be getting a more correct colour mixing model.