PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Outputting onto film

aesthitic
06-17-2006, 08:17 PM
what resolution should a picture be to get good results if i'm printing it onto a film? originally i was thinking outputting my works onto a slide film, but thought better of it and just go with regular film so i could re-order prints...

also, would anyone have any idea of where should i go to do this and how much it would cost in us dollars?

or maybe i shouldn't even bother with this, since everything is going digital anyways. in that case, if i want to, say, print out my artwork in poster format, how big should the resolution be for the original image?

Hypnomedi
06-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi,

If you have an older printer 200 ppi and more give good result.
But now these days it is not needed anymore.
Newest printers can (and sure the one they use in pro photoshops)
print the 72 ppi, you can't see the difference anymore!
Many cameras now save at 72 ppi, like mine Minolta Z6.
after printing in professional shop you really can't see any differences !!
I tried it myself, printed in shop 72 and others I changed to 300 ppi.
Quality from both was outstanding, i could not see any difference!

If you don't believe it, just try it yourself.
salesman from a very good photo shop in my town gave me the
advice and garanty about the quality.

And they were right, the pictures are GREAT!

Johan

aesthitic
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
thanks for the help hypno... but what i was actually thinking was either
a) print out my paintings onto a slide film so i could project the images on a wall - so i would have a quasi video installation/painting
or
b) print out my paintings in poster format...

i just wanted ideas since i started a "myspace" series paintings with art rage and i was thinking of how to go about showing the digital paintings in a traditional gallery...

but then again, i have to score a showing first before i could even consider how to show it... lol!

i was just wondering in general...

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Do it as performance art.
Get a rear-projection screen, and something like a Mimio whiteboard tracking system, or a NextWindow touch bezel. Then in front of your audience paint an ever-changing progressive work with your finger on the large screen.

hevonen
06-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Movie post-processing work is done in 2k or 4k, and one movie frame is about half of 35mm kino film (as it is vertical, instead of horisontal). I guess it means you should work with 4k images or something like that, if you go for quality.

Some companies do film work in HDTV resolution (around 1920x1080) but since it's pretty close to 2k (about 2048x1080, depending on the frame format) it's ok, they just need to be careful when working on it.

Dpi has no meaning with film as it only defines how densily pixels are placed when printing or how densily pixels are sampled when scanning (dpi deals with the physical size of the target or source).
Resolution (amount of pixels) is the thing that counts. There needs to be enough pixels to fill the physical resolution of 35mm slide. 2000px might be enough, 4000 is better and 8000 is about what the film can take, if I remember correctly. It also depends from the film stock and how grainy it is.

I guess digital cameras save as 72dpi as it is traditionally considered the pixel density of monitors. Actually it is not, and dpi varies from monitor to monitor and from viewing resolution to viewing resolution.

All this techno-babble means that make your pictures big enough, at least 2000 pixels wide, but preferably 4000 :)

aesthitic
06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
hevonen

that is exactly what i needed! i knew that film needs either 2k or 4k, but i've never quite figured out the translation of a 2k or a 4k into pixels... for some odd reason, i keep on thinking of the k designation in terms of file size, not pixel size... i should have just googled this question i swear... but then again, i got personal service :) thanks a lot...

andyrage's suggestion of a performance art is sounding good though :D
but i have seen someone do it... if you guys go to dumbvideos.com, there should be a video of a guy who draws on sand... amazing stuff!

hevonen
06-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Nice that I could help. I would suggest checking final specs from your printer and doing one test before starting the finished pieces.

Some digital painters work at first with rough color thumbnails, scale them up when they are ok and rework the detail and rest. Something like this might be useful if current AR has problems with 4k+ images.

I'm working with 2880x1620 (HD 16/9 x1.5) image sizes with layers and AR is pretty ok with 2 gig of memory, though bigger brushes are updating bit slow. I guess I'll try the thumbnail approach..