PDA

View Full Version : prevent erasing on hidden layers

archer
06-16-2006, 02:15 AM
this falls under the category of dumb user mistake, but would it be easy to prevent accidental erasures and drawing on a layer which is hidden?

maybe I'm rare, but once in awhile, I'll hide a layer (art rage, painter, photoshop, whatever) and start working..after awhile I notice my strokes not showing up, then it dawns on me that I hadn't activated the layer I WANTED to change..

just wondering..

archer

drzeller
06-16-2006, 10:37 AM
There was another post similar to this about painting on a hidden layer as well.

I think it might make sense to disallow any changes to a hidden layer. Maybe even a short warning if you try to work on a hidden image.

If someone has a reason for doing so (who knows, they "trace" one layer that is lower and don't want their tracing visible while they do it?), then the limitation could be controlled by a setting. Of course, now we are getting into increasing complexity of the program... I like just not allowing it and giving a warning message or beep.

D.

archer
06-16-2006, 12:37 PM
that is a good point - with respect to keeping it simple..

I like the idea of keeping things simple

archer

DaveRage
06-20-2006, 04:14 AM
We were just talking about this today actually, after seeing the suggestion. We've noted this down and will consider ways which things could work differently for the future. I'm terrible in most programs with layer systems myself, often selecting the wrong layer and doing a few strokes before I realise I'm not where I want to be! =)

dulciepercy
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Well I've been here 12 hours so I can post again :-)

In my very limited time with ArtRage this happened to me too. My thought was the way the active layer is shown in the layer list is too subtle. A very subdued and tasteful green that doesn't distract, to be sure. If you could choose to have a flashing red highlight that would help.

For me the undo stack was long enough to account for most of the strokes I did before I realised what was happening.